Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like you collapsed the wrong block in IORegistryExplorer. Please expand PBR8@8 and collapse pci-bridge@10. It’s also possible that an attempt to interfere with the device tree below SL05 causes problems, but that typically only happens on ASRock boards.
Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 9.10.47 PM.png

Ah looks like it's working.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 9.11.22 PM.png

Also it's ok that TB shows nothing right with DSM2 firmware? I don't have any TB3 devices to test right now.

great, I don't think anyone is that rich or needs 2x6900XTs but I would assume it would work fine?
But not too many applications use dual GPUs. Maybe Davinci Resolve, FCPX (?)? Definitely Octane does use multiple GPUs and dual 6900XTs would be killer for that workflow if you are doing 3D.

I think in general dual 6900XTs would be overkill. What are you doing that requires that many GPUs?

Also I'm pretty sure the W6600 or whatever is called is going to be in the next and final Intel Mac Pro, so maybe Apple will do a dual RDNA GPU like they did like Radeon VII natively? So some apps will take advantage of it.

But imo its overkill lol
I'm super duper happy with the 6900XT it's a giant leap in GPU performance and glad they matched NVIDIA's top end card. Also glad Apple supports it as this is my last Hackintosh hehe
Well, here's my current setup. On my main system, I'm using 2 x Radeon VII's and on my backup system 1 x Radeon VII. So I have 3 total cards. Right now (after ICEV's suggestion on getting the card and your technical help), I just purchased one 6900 card. If everything works fine I will sell all three cards and get 3 x 6900's. The main reason why I use 2 cards, because I'm using 3 x 28" 4K monitors (side, by side, by side) and with using just one card, things slow down and have also frozen from time to time. But having 2 cards, it seems to distribute the workload that these cards have to make my monitors work without a hitch and for me to also use apps like Photoshop, Premier and the like. Now if they could make a GPU with 32 GB of RAM (like the Radeon Pro W6800, but it uses mini ports and isn't compatible with MacOS that I know of), THEN I would only use ONE card. But that hasn't happened yet and ain't gonna anytime soon. BTW, this has been like this ever since my earlier Hackintosh days when I started using nVidia's GTX 580's all the way until now. So now you know why. :cool:

Last edited:
Well, here's my current setup. On my main system, I'm using 2 x Radeon VII's and on my backup system 1 x Radeon VII. So I have 3 total cards. Right now (after ICEV's suggestion on getting the card and your technical help), I just purchased one 6900 card. If everything works fine I will sell all three cards and get 3 x 6900's. The main reason why I use 2 cards, because I'm using 3 x 28" 4K monitors (side, by side, by side) and with using just one card, things slow down and have also frozen from time to time. But having 2 cards, it seems to distribute the workload that these cards have to make my monitors work without a hitch. Now if they could make a GPU with 32 GB of RAM - THEN I would only use ONE card. But that hasn't happened yet and ain't gonna anytime soon. So now you know why. :cool:

I've never seen anyone use dual gpus because they have triple 4k monitors lol
This is overkill.

I've been running 2-3 4k monitors for a long time with a single Radeon VII. I thought you were doing heavy GPU tasks.

Just sell all 3 Radeon VII's and keep the 1 6900XT. It's MORE than enough for you i promise.
A single 5700XT/RX580 can run triple 4k monitors with no issues.

4k is not a lot of data. Radeon VII has 16GB HBM2 VRAM and its a beast on a grander scale I have no idea why you're getting lag. Big Sur 11.4 and Radeon VII has been nothing but speedy for me, and so has 6900XT + Big Sur. With my workflow I push my computer to the max usually, so was curious what your day to day tasks are.

I've never seen anyone use dual gpus because they have triple 4k monitors lol
This is overkill.

I've been running 2-3 4k monitors for a long time with a single Radeon VII. I thought you were doing heavy GPU tasks.

Just sell all 3 Radeon VII's and keep the 1 6900XT. It's MORE than enough for you i promise.
A single 5700XT/RX580 can run triple 4k monitors with no issues.

4k is not a lot of data. Radeon VII has 16GB HBM2 VRAM and its a beast on a grander scale I have no idea why you're getting lag. Big Sur 11.4 and Radeon VII has been nothing but speedy for me, and so has 6900XT + Big Sur. With my workflow I push my computer to the max usually, so was curious what your day to day tasks are.
Okay, so I will just test out and use the ONE card for now when I get it. If everything works fine then great. It also may have been the way Catalina 10.5 was working with my AMD 16GB Vegas at the time. Now that I'm running Big Sur 11.4 using OpenCore, things do start up much faster and work smoother. So again, I'll test it out and see how it performs. If it works great, I'll get 1 x 6900 for both of my systems and sell the third one I won't need and be done with it for now. Thanks again for the input.

View attachment 521701

Ah looks like it's working.

Thanks!

View attachment 521702

Also it's ok that TB shows nothing right with DSM2 firmware? I don't have any TB3 devices to test right now.
Although the SSDT changed the device names, I think this may be another case where an attempt to modify the device tree actually breaks the tree. There are a couple of options:
  • We can look at the boot log to see if the problem is caused by an error we might be able to fix.
  • Consider moving the card to a different slot. Did hot plug ever work when this card was installed in a different slot?

Although the SSDT changed the device names, I think this may be another case where an attempt to modify the device tree actually breaks the tree. There are a couple of options:
  • We can look at the boot log to see if the problem is caused by an error we might be able to fix.
  • Consider moving the card to a different slot. Did hot plug ever work when this card was installed in a different slot?

I will try a different slot, only ones available are Slot 4 but I can move stuff around. I did test different slots before with the 2 other firmwares you mentioned but they all froze the system prior to DSM2 firmware. This board has a PLX chip and the TB3 card has the power mod, figured it didn't need to be a different slot. I never tested hot plug tbh, so can't comment on that. Just that when I add the SSDTs the card disappears from the TB3 panel from SysInfo.

Will report back after i test different slots again.

Please let me know which log to post and I'll post.

Thanks for the help!

I will try a different slot, only ones available are Slot 4 but I can move stuff around. I did test different slots before with the 2 other firmwares you mentioned but they all froze the system prior to DSM2 firmware. This board has a PLX chip and the TB3 card has the power mod, figured it didn't need to be a different slot. I never tested hot plug tbh, so can't comment on that. Just that when I add the SSDTs the card disappears from the TB3 panel from SysInfo.

Thanks for the help!
Let's do this:
  • Before moving the card let's first look at the system boot log with the Thunderbolt SSDT enabled, as follows:
  • log show --last boot | head -1500 > ~/Documents/bootlog.txt
This will create a file in Documents folder called bootlog.txt. Please post that file.

Thanks for the help!

Try disabling the SL05 and replacing with PEGP

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-X299-Slot3.aml
    2.2 KB · Views: 38

Thanks for the help!
It may be that I'm wrong, but some time ago I had tried to move the titan ridge with modified fw - the firmware of which I attached screen a few posts ago - in slots other than the second and thunderbolt did not work: if it works for you, in the system report the thunderbolt entry must not appear empty as on your screen but the characteristics of the titan ridge in use must be listed: regardless of whether you connect a thunderbolt device or not. Finally, in ioregistry explorer when the titan ridge is working correctly port 7 must be populated. I hope, however, that the friends of the forum will help you to solve: otherwise you have to move the video card and give up liquid cooling.

It may be that I'm wrong, but some time ago I had tried to move the titan ridge with modified fw - the firmware of which I attached screen a few posts ago - in slots other than the second and thunderbolt did not work: if it works for you, in the system report the thunderbolt entry must not appear empty as on your screen but the characteristics of the titan ridge in use must be listed: regardless of whether you connect a thunderbolt device or not. Finally, in ioregistry explorer when the titan ridge is working correctly port 7 must be populated. I hope, however, that the friends of the forum will help you to solve: otherwise you have to move the video card and give up liquid cooling.
Correct. The SAGE/10G manual states that you should install the Thunderbolt card in Slot 2. Then Enable it in the BIOS, enable force power, and you now have a completely normal PC00.RP05 address.

Can't you re-route the liquid cooling? I would recommend that. Putting a flashed TB3 card in any other slot on the SAGE/10G results in instability in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back