Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on this madness would be greatly appreciated! @ramazarusx I've seen you're actually tryin something similar, updates?

I personally wouldn't swap a 9980XE for Xeon W3235 or 3245 - you're giving up cores and frequency for extra memory bandwidth and ECC (but likely lower frequency memory as well).

Unless you have a specific need for the ECC and/or extra PCI-E lanes it doesn't make that much sense I think. If you need the extra cores for rendering or compute then really to get the additional performance from switching platforms you should go for the much higher core count CPU's.

But I would love to hear about how it goes, and getting it all set up and working with BS, something I would like to try sometime :)

Well... a monkey just teleported in my head guys! So... Anyone had experience with Cascade Lake-W Platform? It's actually the same as the real Mac Pro 2019 (same chipset C621 and same Xeon W-32XX CPUs)

What kind of benefits one would have with it compared to the Skylake HEDT? ok ECC RAM for max stability and more PCIe 3.0 lanes, anything else?

I'm planning to switch to Asus Pro WS C621 Sage - W-3235/W3245 - ECC RAM - 6800XT

Given the actual price I would sell my actual X299 board + 9980XE + NonECC RAM + 5700XT for a pretty penny

Any thoughts on this madness would be greatly appreciated! @ramazarusx I've seen you're actually tryin something similar, updates?
me, personally
My next computer will be a Mac based Apple processor (m1x or m2)

I do not see a good future for Hackintosh and intel base mac's

Soon (even very close at wwdc 2021) apple will launched Mac's for professionals
Which I think will be very surprising in terms of capabilities and innovations

Right now my x299 is great
even if I upgrade a Graphic card to 6900 xt

As an Hackintosh in my opinion these are his last years

But the hardware can serve as a great server for years to come!
So I will not rush to sell my x299

Well... a monkey just teleported in my head guys! So... Anyone had experience with Cascade Lake-W Platform? It's actually the same as the real Mac Pro 2019 (same chipset C621 and same Xeon W-32XX CPUs)

What kind of benefits one would have with it compared to the Skylake HEDT? ok ECC RAM for max stability and more PCIe 3.0 lanes, anything else?

I'm planning to switch to Asus Pro WS C621 Sage - W-3235/W3245 - ECC RAM - 6800XT

Given the actual price I would sell my actual X299 board + 9980XE + NonECC RAM + 5700XT for a pretty penny

There was a guy named DSM or whatever who built a 28 core hackintosh based on this machine and it worked fine, but like someone else mentioned I don't think it's worth the hassle. You will have issues with the BIOS and have to find a bunch of workarounds and you will be on your own because no one has a Hackintosh like that to help you troubleshoot haha

Just keep the 9980XE (10980XE is crippled) and overclock to 4.2-4.5Ghz on all cores with a nice watercooling solution and you're set for a while. It will rival high end Mac Pros. Upgrade the GPU to 6800XT/6900XT and you have a banging machine for a while until Apple actually releases a M2 or something (I tried M1 Mac Mini it was worthless to me and I returned it).

These Lake based 14nm+++ processors are dead in the water anyway, they have no future. So why trade one without a future with another one without a future?

Overall I'm still pretty happy with this Hack and very underwhelmed by M1s performance for what I do day to day. I will wait until next year to see what Apple has in store before I get a real Mac again.

There was a guy named DSM or whatever who built a 28 core hackintosh based on this machine and it worked fine, but like someone else mentioned I don't think it's worth the hassle. You will have issues with the BIOS and have to find a bunch of workarounds and you will be on your own because no one has a Hackintosh like that to help you troubleshoot haha

Just keep the 9980XE (10980XE is crippled) and overclock to 4.2-4.5Ghz on all cores with a nice watercooling solution and you're set for a while. It will rival high end Mac Pros. Upgrade the GPU to 6800XT/6900XT and you have a banging machine for a while until Apple actually releases a M2 or something (I tried M1 Mac Mini it was worthless to me and I returned it).

These Lake based 14nm+++ processors are dead in the water anyway, they have no future. So why trade one without a future with another one without a future?

Overall I'm still pretty happy with this Hack and very underwhelmed by M1s performance for what I do day to day. I will wait until next year to see what Apple has in store before I get a real Mac again.
Are there known issues with C621 BIOSes? Anyway, since I should be able to swap CPU/Board/Ram for no extra cost selling my old parts I was thinking on it, I agree it's worthless if you have to spend money but it shouldn't be the case. Obviously if C621 is known to be a pain, then it's not smart to switch from X299 to C621, I was just thinking, due to C621 being the same Mac Pro chipset, that would be a relative simple hack. Somebody here on Tonymac has C621 systems and it seems they're pretty happy with the Asus Sage C621 boards.

Are there known issues with C621 BIOSes? Anyway, since I should be able to swap CPU/Board/Ram for no extra cost selling my old parts I was thinking on it, I agree it's worthless if you have to spend money but it shouldn't be the case. Obviously if C621 is known to be a pain, then it's not smart to switch from X299 to C621, I was just thinking, due to C621 being the same Mac Pro chipset, that would be a relative simple hack. Somebody here on Tonymac has C621 systems and it seems they're pretty happy with the Asus Sage C621 boards.

I believe there are some threads on a German forum and it took a while for him to set it up. If you are willing to take the hard path, feel free to do so. At one point I was thinking of doing the same, but it wasn't worth the hassle. There's literally just 2 motherboards that support it and I think some Supermicro server board. And that thing needs a crazy amount of power to power the VRMs. I don't think Intel ever released this CPU for mainstream consumption, they did it to show off that they can still compete against AMD but failed miserably when AMD has a 64 core counterpart.

I really think X299 is the end of the high end Hackintoshes. Whatever macOS 12 is, it most likely will be the last Intel supported OS, then it will be Apple Silicon only starting with macOS 13 in Fall of 2022.

I really think X299 is the end of the high end Hackintoshes. Whatever macOS 12 is, it most likely will be the last Intel supported OS, then it will be Apple Silicon only starting with macOS 13 in Fall of 2022.
Not sure 2022
I appreciate 2026

For the reason that they launched the Mac Pro only at the end of 2019
That people and businesses also purchased for $ 70,000

Can they stop supporting after two years?

I think they will get a huge lawsuit if that is the case!

They will give the 7 years support and then say goodbye to Intel in peace

I believe there are some threads on a German forum and it took a while for him to set it up. If you are willing to take the hard path, feel free to do so. At one point I was thinking of doing the same, but it wasn't worth the hassle. There's literally just 2 motherboards that support it and I think some Supermicro server board. And that thing needs a crazy amount of power to power the VRMs. I don't think Intel ever released this CPU for mainstream consumption, they did it to show off that they can still compete against AMD but failed miserably when AMD has a 64 core counterpart.

Yeah I agree that switching to C621 isn't really worth the hassle esp so late in the game and Apple Silicon coming pretty soon. Plus the support group for C621 is a lot smaller than X299 so you'll most likely be doing a lot of trouble shooting on your own. :lol: I'd honestly just buy a real Mac Pro at that point

Honestly don't know why I came back after selling my mobo/cpu but I pretty much got them cheaper/same than what I originally sold so guess it's fine.

Not sure 2022
I appreciate 2026

For the reason that they launched the Mac Pro only at the end of 2019
That people and businesses also purchased for $ 70,000

Can they stop supporting after two years?

I think they will get a huge lawsuit if that is the case!

They will give the 7 years support and then say goodbye to Intel in peace

They will support it via tech support but not OS updates.

They did the same with the PowerPC > Intel transition, it was exactly 2 years and Snow Leopard dropped PowerPC support altogether.

They will dump Rosetta 2 and all the Intel codebase in macOS 13, so the installer base becomes much smaller.

It's not like we haven't seen them do this before.

I will hang on to this Hackintosh for another year, especially now that there's a 6900XT in there, which I really like so far. Very surprised at how good it is. Both the Vega FE/64 and Radeon VII were underwhelming.

Honestly don't know why I came back after selling my mobo/cpu but I pretty much got them cheaper/same than what I originally sold so guess it's fine.

A tinkerer at heart always stays a tinkerer! :headbang:

They will support it via tech support but not OS updates.

They did the same with the PowerPC > Intel transition, it was exactly 2 years and Snow Leopard dropped PowerPC support altogether.

They will dump Rosetta 2 and all the Intel codebase in macOS 13, so the installer base becomes much smaller.

It's not like we haven't seen them do this before.

I will hang on to this Hackintosh for another year, especially now that there's a 6900XT in there, which I really like so far. Very surprised at how good it is. Both the Vega FE/64 and Radeon VII were underwhelming.

A tinkerer at heart always stays a tinkerer! :headbang:

The last PPC (G5) was released in 2003. Snow Leopard dropped support in 2009.

The MP7,1 was released December 2019, so the same support window would be 2025. Equally importantly, the M2 obviously can't be used in a MacPro level machine, and if they stick to only +4 cores for M3 (so 16) or +50% (18 cores) even M3 is unlikely be used in a MacPro. That puts Apple 3 generations away from a replacement product, which obviously is not happening in 2022.

The last PPC (G5) was released in 2003.
Was the Fall of 2005 and they were discontinued in August 2006. Following is from Wikipedia.
  • 2003 June: Initial release at speeds of SP 1.6, SP 1.8, DP 2.0 GHz.
  • 2003 November: DP 1.8 replaces SP 1.8 GHz; price reduction on SP 1.6 GHz.
  • 2004 June: 90 nm DP 1.8, DP 2.0 and DP 2.5 GHz replace all previous models. The 2.5 GHz model is notable as the first major PC with liquid cooling included as stock.
  • 2004 October: A new SP 1.8 reintroduced, with a slower, 600 MHz FSB (front-side bus), PCI bus, based upon the iMac G5's architecture (U3lite and Shasta chips). Apple's official name for this machine is "Power Mac G5 (Late 2004)".
  • 2005 April: CPU speed increased: DP 2.5 GHz → DP 2.7 GHz (PCI-X, LC), DP 2.0 GHz → DP 2.3 GHz (PCI-X), DP 1.8 GHz → DP 2 GHz (PCI). Newly introduced features were the 16x dual-layer SuperDrives across the line and increased storage, up to 800 GB for the higher-end models. The 1.8 GHz SP was not modified.
  • 2005 June–July: The SP 1.8 model was discontinued in the United States and Europe.
  • 2005 October: Shift to dual-core processors: DP 2.0 GHz → DC 2.0 GHz, DP 2.3 GHz → DC 2.3 GHz, DP 2.7 GHz → DP DC 2.5 GHz (termed a Quad Power Mac G5, with four CPU execution cores and more reliable liquid cooling), all with DDR2 memory, and PCI Express expansion in place of PCI-X.[3][4][5] The older PCI-X, DP 2.7 GHz model remained available for a while, but the slower speed single-core models were discontinued immediately.
  • 2006 August: The Power Mac is replaced by its Intel successor, the Mac Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back