Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
6900XT working like a charm no WEG, gonna water cool it and add the second one to the system. Any suggestions on the SSDT?

Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 2.46.50 PM.png

On the side note, did anyone had any luck with Thunderbolt 4?

Hello, I changed to Mac Pro 7.1 with a 6900XT, you have to remove WhateverGreen.kext, agpmd = pikera and any arguments related to WEG, once the changes are made, with Propper, Control + Command + Shift + R, restart and in the boot OC, reset nvram worked for me, greetings.

I will try some things when the latest OC is out, but definitely haven't changed much in OC, still on MacPro7,1. I have tried removing WG, etc...but I will try again. I am now booted into macOS and working ok so far, I just don't want to reboot it it doesn't login sometimes haha.

6900XT working like a charm no WEG, gonna water cool it and add the second one to the system. Any suggestions on the SSDT?

View attachment 520267

On the side note, did anyone had any luck with Thunderbolt 4?
SSDTs shouldn't be needed since there hasn't been updates to RadeonBoost in a while.
I got the ASUS Thunderbolt EX4 card to work but I returned it. Hot plug works but not cold/warm boot.
You also need to enable Thunderbolt in the BIOS otherwise it doesn’t work.

I'm hoping the Gigabyte GC-Maple Ridge or ASRock Thunderbolt 4 AIC will work better since they have the 5 pin headers and maybe Apple will release Maple Ridge drivers.

Last edited:
Yes of course, but things have been very buggy with with boot.

-noweg doesn't work.
disabling WEG completely doesn't work
pikeramod works but sometimes it doesn't boot into macOS, so trying to figure it out.

I can test for you in FCPX and Davinci Resolve, is there a project you'd like me to test?

So far it's a great GPU, but I think my OpenCore is bonked at the moment, it seems most people don't have the issues I have. Once I am booted into macOS everything is fine. It's basically a 3090 without RT cores. I did some gaming tests too in Windows and it's so nice getting native 4k 60fps on highest settings. Of course the AMD equivalent of DLSS is not here yet, and Ray Tracing performance is horrendous compared to NVIDIA, but so far am happy with this GPU.

I also did some quick Octane X testing and it's so much better than the Radeon VII. Scene loads are almost near instant. I would imagine having 2 of these would be amazing for 3d artists who use Octane. The Radeon VII is going for near $2,000 USD, I paid $1600 for 6900XT Reference (those damn scalpers!) + $250 waterblock so it's almost a 1:1 trade off.

I would also imagine if AMD used HBM2/3 VRAM on the 6900XT it would kill the 3090, but increase the price by $300 (does it matter really with the current market? haha). AMD didn't even use GDDR6X only GDDR6.

I mostly want to check the encoders on the graphics card

Reading h264 / 5 timeline files (scrubbing speed)
And export times (if there is an improvement or does it stay the same?)

The camera with the most compressed coding is the Sony S7III
10 bit sample My 18Core Hack does not run at all (radeon vii or vega 64)
If you manage to check out her files it would be wonderful!

Thank you
very appreciate

I mostly want to check the encoders on the graphics card

Reading h264 / 5 timeline files (scrubbing speed)
And export times (if there is an improvement or does it stay the same?)

The camera with the most compressed coding is the Sony S7III
10 bit sample My 18Core Hack does not run at all (radeon vii or vega 64)
If you manage to check out her files it would be wonderful!

Thank you
very appreciate

Can you send me some A7SIII H265 sample footage? You can test on your end and I can test on my end so we can compare results.

Thanks!

I added a 6900XT and removed the Radeon VII and now my machine just freezes. I tried changing PCIe slots for the Titan Ridge card, jumping pin 3 and 5, etc. Removing the Titan Ridge card is the only solution.

Any ideas appreciated.

@izo1 test to disable the usb for tb3 in the ssdt - for me it looks like usb3 from tr-tb3 makes trouble in some BS-systems...

SSDTs shouldn't be needed since there hasn't been updates to RadeonBoost in a while.
I got the ASUS Thunderbolt EX4 card to work but I returned it. Hot plug works but not cold/warm boot.

I'm hoping the Gigabyte GC-Maple Ridge or ASRock Thunderbolt 4 AIC will work better since they have the 5 pin headers and maybe Apple will release Maple Ridge drivers.
Damn, I guess I'm stuck with mine, I've read on some weird Hackintosh forum that they've made it to work with everything. Thanks man..

Can you send me some A7SIII H265 sample footage? You can test on your end and I can test on my end so we can compare results.

Thanks!
You can download footage from here. I did a quick try in FCPX playing and scrubbing without any problem.

I just get the ASUS Thunderbolt EX4 card, but you said that it did not work well with macOS. I do not know is there some fixes for this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back