Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
And which config.plist settings are you concerned about? Most are chosen specifically to match the board and BIOS settings although I have turned off a lot of the logging, verbose and crash dump functionality since it’s all working well and gives a cleaner experience if you’re not troubleshooting

For instance:

In the Booter Quirks -
EnableWriteUnprotector - You have it set to True where Dortania recommends False
ProtectUEFIServices - You have it as False where Dortania recommends True
RebuildAppleMemoryMap - You have it as False where Dortania recommends True

In the Kernel Quirks -
AppleXcpmCFGLock - You have it as False where Dortania recommends True

In the Misc -
You have both AppleDebug and ApplePanic to False where Dortania recommends True

I don't really understand the specifics of those Quirks even after reading about it, and nonetheless everything seems to be running fine which is all that matters ultimately, but I was curious as to why those settings differ from the Dortania guide?

I also have another question regarding the SSDT-GPU-RX5700XT that you created for me. I was wondering why it is necessary since Big Sur (and Catalina) should natively recognize this GPU? Just curious and trying to learn as much as possible.

Many thanks once again, you've made this a very easy process!

For instance:

SSDT-GPU-RX5700XT - Yeah the 5700XT is natively supported, this SSDT just sets the correct names and slots in System Profiler for the GPU and the GPU HD Audio, its just cosmetic so everything looks neat and tidy, like this: ;)

Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 17.36.37.png

In the Kernel Quirks -
AppleXcpmCFGLock - You have it as False where Dortania recommends True

Not Required if the motherboard has MSR Lock disabled in BIOS

In the Misc -
You have both AppleDebug and ApplePanic to False where Dortania recommends True

This is just the debugging stuff I mentioned earlier, not required but makes troubleshooting easier, I turned off once happy with the build

In the Booter Quirks -
EnableWriteUnprotector - You have it set to True where Dortania recommends False
RebuildAppleMemoryMap - You have it as False where Dortania recommends True
ProtectUEFIServices - You have it as False where Dortania recommends True

You can have these two the other way around, from the guide:
"...This is due to missing the MEMORY_ATTRIBUTE_TABLE and such we recommend disabling RebuildAppleMemoryMap and enabling EnableWriteUnprotector. More info on this is covered in the troubleshooting section" - I can't fully remember but I may have made this change early on trying to rectify a different problem. I'll double check it and come back to you

***EDIT: @Midphase - Leave this ^^^ as they are in my config! I just switched them back and immediately realised the reason I changed them, it causes instant power down on selecting the boot partition from OpenCore with these the "standard" way around. I too don't fully understand what the individual quirks do but it was a step I had to take in the troubleshooting section for " Kernel Issues" when putting the build together***
:thumbup:

Glad its initially up and running without too much trouble!

Last edited:
Glad its initially up and running without too much trouble!

Thank you for the clarification. Yeah....so far so good. Got an initial Geekbench 5 multi score of 16255 compared to the previous score from my 9900k of 9107, a pretty good bump for sure! Next step is to see about doing some mild OCing. Have you used the ASUS BIOS speed tuner AI thing? I wonder if it's a good option when trying to maximize the CPU's speed and performance while also being conservative enough to have a stable machine?

I’ve not really played with over clocking as such but I was finding that I’d be hitting some thermal throttling surprisingly at stock. Two things helped really improve the temps and subsequently the performance scores even though everything else was ”stock”:

First, undervolting - I know from my initial testing of my CPU on the MSI X299 Pro that it is happy to have an adaptive vcore offset of at least -0.075v which drops the temps massively for me. I have the same set on the ASUS board but haven’t played with pushing this further yet, it’s possible it could be improved I think the PRIME-A II has a better power delivery spec...

Second, cooling - something as simple as setting the pump speed on my NZXT Kraken X63. Pump is controlled by USB rather than a fan header so needs software to switch it from minimum duty cycle, I set 67% and that also made quite a difference while remaining quiet. This is all with modest fan speeds to keep noise low.

Typical load temps at 100% cpu for real world apps is low at around mid 64-65c pushing to about 72-73c in heavy artificial stuff like cinebench loop.

I use a liquidctl script at startup to set up my NZXT. Happy to share that if you use similar AIO.

I use a liquidctl script at startup to set up my NZXT. Happy to share that if you use similar AIO.

Thank you for the offer. I'm using a fairly ancient Corsair H110, my idle temps are around 30-ish C, haven't really tested under load much, but I'm gearing up to soon as this is going to be my main Blender/Cycles render machine.

Another month, another OpenCore update!

Changelog for BASE EFI:

Bootloader / Kexts:
* Lilu 1.5.3
* NVMeFix 1.0.7
* AppleALC 1.6.0
* VirtualSMC 1.2.3
* IntelMausi 1.0.6
* RestrictEvents 1.0.1

config.plist Changes:
* Added Custom Memory examples for SMBIOS MacPro7,1. For more info, refer to post

Nice!

Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 22.09.59.png

Another month, another OpenCore update!

Changelog for BASE EFI:

Bootloader / Kexts:
* Lilu 1.5.3
* NVMeFix 1.0.7
* AppleALC 1.6.0
* VirtualSMC 1.2.3
* IntelMausi 1.0.6
* RestrictEvents 1.0.1

config.plist Changes:
* Added Custom Memory examples for SMBIOS MacPro7,1. For more info, refer to post
Oh... c'mon... That's great! Followed the guide, we're becoming pretty great hackintoshing MacPro7,1 SMBIOS, don't we? I'll let you appreciate a bit of Italian taste down below.

Thanks @djlild7hina !
Schermata 2021-05-06 alle 01.58.46.png

Hi to everyone
I was been absent for ages as my job has taken over. I'm already running Catalina 10.15.7/O.C. 0.6.0 and I'd like to begin with Big Sur and I couldn't follow the evolution to the latter.
At this time, my build is so composed:
1. ASUS SAGE/10G
2. 128 GB RAM (16x8)
3. Radeon VII (slot 1)
4. Titan Ridge TTB3 (slot 2)
5. HighPoint RocketRAID 2840A (slot 3)
6. MQUPIN FENVI T919 Scheda Wireless BCM94360CD (slot 4)
7. HighPoint SSD7101A-1 NVMe RAID controller

Can someone, who runs a similar build, share his EFI, please?
@Ghostmac1969 Did you get the HighPoint SSD7101A-1 working on Big Sur? I have nearly identical set up running OC, and haven't had any luck. Currently in slot 1. Could you share you EFI? It was all fine on Catalina.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I am having a problem where en0 wont showup (only lo0 is) for my network interfaces even though im injecting IntelMausiEthernet.kext. I am using opencore 0.6.9 is it not injecting or did i miss something entirely? Any help would be appreciated? I can get into the main installer but even with my ethernet cable plugged in it says it needs to connect to the internet to download macOS...

Never mind I fixed it! I didn’t enable the actual key whoops

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
@Loloflatsix @djlild7hina
Hi i have the same mobo ASUS WS SAGE 10G.
i am trying to install bigsur on this mobo but for some reason its getting stuck at 12 min remaining on first stage install. the whole install freezes basically cant even move mouse.
could it be nvram ?
any ideas what could be the issue ?

Thanks ! : )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back