Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what could be causing it, you could try signing up for the public beta to install 11.3 RC (public release might be this week tho). But yes, updates have been very smooth but make a backup just in case.

You could try using Sonnet 10G drivers (requires Ubuntu EEPROM flashing) but I'm not sure if it'll be different. Proceed at your own risk!

Do you have another NIC you can try? does the same issue happen with a clean install?
I just found MacBook Pro user that is using Sonnet (but probably real 10gbe adapter) that had very similar KP.

Hm, maybe I should try ATTO drivers for same chipset...

I've got patched SmallTree 3.8.6 drivers that work on standard Intel 10GBe NICs without requiring the Linux ethtool patching method. At least, works fine on my X550Ts. (Also works on my X520, but I'd already done the Linux patching on those.)

Attached.

Attachments

• SmallTreeIntel8259x.kext.3.8.6.zip
    87.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
@djlild7hina & @TheBloke

I just found out something interesting... There is maybe a possibility you guys are using 10gbe at 1gbe speeds? Maybe this is the reason I am experiencing problems?

Anyways, I just compared kexts for Sonnet, SmallTree and ATTO for X550-T2. Seems like only ATTO kext was built on Big Sur. Isn't that interesting? :)

So I am going to try using these drivers. Just need to figure out what needs to be done in ethtool. Mine 10gbe is patched as SmallTree right now. What would be a way to find out what to change for ATTO? Since ATTO is only one build on Big Sur I suspect they are the only company that did a bit more testing. Or maybe is it possible to do it using FakePCIIID for temporary check?

Definitely the best method, combine the SSDT and Device properties, no crashes of Powergadget and looks a lot cleaner! Thanks for the pointers :thumbup:View attachment 516421
I solved my sleep issue with the Titan Ridge - installed the GPRW SSDT and the ASMedia kext and all is working now.

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 18.12.06.png

@djlild7hina & @TheBloke

I just found out something interesting... There is maybe a possibility you guys are using 10gbe at 1gbe speeds? Maybe this is the reason I am experiencing problems?

Anyways, I just compared kexts for Sonnet, SmallTree and ATTO for X550-T2. Seems like only ATTO kext was built on Big Sur. Isn't that interesting? :)

So I am going to try using these drivers. Just need to figure out what needs to be done in ethtool. Mine 10gbe is patched as SmallTree right now. What would be a way to find out what to change for ATTO? Since ATTO is only one build on Big Sur I suspect they are the only company that did a bit more testing. Or maybe is it possible to do it using FakePCIIID for temporary check?
My motherboard has 2 x onboard X550Ts (copper RJ45 ports), and I currently use one of them at 1Gbe and the other is not used.

But I also have a PCIe X520 (SFP fibre port) which I use at 10GBe. That's the card that I did do the Linux ethtool patching on.

All NICs are using the same SmallTree 3.8.6 drivers I uploaded a moment ago. You're right that they were made for Catalina - SmallTree have not yet released a Big Sur version, and maybe never will. But certainly no KPs here with two NICs in constant use, one at 1Gbe and the other at 10GBe. All my files are stored on my NAS and accessed over 10GBe regularly throughout every day.

You have a different motherboard and maybe a slightly different variation of NIC to mine, so that could be a difference. But I can confirm the SmallTree 3.8.6 drivers do work fine for me at 10GBe.

Yep!

Then press the up arrow on the keyboard and arrow back to before ".bin" and add a number. So like "OEMFirmware.bin, OEMFirmware2.bin, etc..."

That way you can capture a few.

You can also use verify like this:

sudo flashrom -p ch341a_spi -v OEMFirmware.bin

Got my card and put it in. So far running into some issues... It's showing up in IOReg but the SSDT is not taking? Also on reboots I have error code 00 or 62

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 12.26.36 PM.png

TB disabled in BIOS and 6 pin power connector plugged in

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 12.48.46 PM.png

Last edited:
I solved my sleep issue with the Titan Ridge - installed the GPRW SSDT and the ASMedia kext and all is working now.

I just added the ASmedia kext and removed (temporarily) GPRW SSDT and patch - the machine will now actually go to sleep, which it wouldn't at all without the ASMedia kext or GPRW, but it would still wake up instantly, so better but still requiring GPRW SSDT for it to actually stay asleep. Settled on both ASMedia kext and GPRW SSDT :thumbup:

@TheBloke - Yes, I have SAGE 10G, but still... Seems like maybe this is not the problem. I will try to pull out Radeon VII and see what happens, maybe it is overheating because of 2x GPU or something...

This is from ATTO driver:
<key>IONameMatch</key>
<array>
<string>pci117c,50</string>
<string>pci117c,51</string>
<string>pci117c,52</string>
<string>pci117c,53</string>
<string>pci117c,54</string>
<string>pci117c,55</string>
<string>pci117c,5d</string>
<string>pci117c,5e</string>
<string>pci117c,8b</string>
</array>

Also, this is the thread with similar KP with sonnet drivers:

Last edited:
Sounds good :) Btw I think GPRW disables wake from usb devices. Not a deal breaker for some people but it's nice to just press a button on the bt keyboard to wake up :)
I can confirm that wake from bluetooth works fine with GPRW. But I did have problems (unrelated to this I think) with the Apple Cinema Display turning on after sleep in Hibernate mode 0, but Hibernate mode 25 worked fine.

Got my card and put it in. So far running into some issues... It's showing up in IOReg but the SSDT is not taking? Also on reboots I have error code 00 or 62

View attachment 516435

TB disabled in BIOS and 6 pin power connector plugged in

View attachment 516438

I'd say lets ask @CaseySJ if he'd be kind of enough to draft you an SSDT for your x299. It might be dependent on it.

This is new territory. We got one going for the z370.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back