Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a heads up on the Sage, only Slot-2 is officially supported under BIOS Settings. The reason for this is if you enable TB in BIOS it switches Slot-2 to the PCH. PCH lanes are the only lanes that are officially supported on the Sage for Thunderbolt. If you disable Thunderbolt BIOS settings, it'll switch slot-2 back to PCIe lanes.

If you put it in another slot you'll have to use the jump pins 1 and 3 method. Adjusting the SSDT will be a pain with all the pcie-bridges due to the plx chips. You'll have to use ioreg to see the address of the slot as needed. The address may also change due to how many PCIe slots are populated.

Here's an example of what it should look like

Code:
Scope (\_SB.PC01.BR1A)
{
        If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
        {
            Scope (SL01)
            {
                Name (_STA, Zero)  // _STA: Status
            }

Scope (PEGP)
            {
                Device (EGP0)                // create new device name here
                {
                    Name (_ADR, 0x00100000)  // _ADR: Address (Address changes per slot)

// Insert thunderbolt SSDT code here
                }
            }
        }
}

I previously had two flashed GC Titan Ridge (v1.0) cards working but didn't do extensive testing on how stable it was since I only had one thunderbolt 3 device at the time.
Thats a big help - it'll be next week when I have time to play with the slot location to fix broken sleep - I knew that the Sage 10G only allows Tb cards to sit in Slot 2 - then I read about patching but mistakenly thought it would be a simple patching of pins 1 and 3 for different slots but clearly nothing is simple in this game :banghead: so your code will help a lot.

Yes, the SSDT is now correct with the correctly populated UID and UUID's. I also changed the location in the SSDT to Slot 2. Attached is the updated screen shot of the Tb bus.

Yes it is easier to have removable chips for sure but I must say that the clip worked first time for me - saw some people had issues getting the clip to sit right on the chip. I also took my time to make sure I have the pins lined up right - the screenshot was attached earlier to help people to make sure that the clip orientation was correctly attached to the programmer because I had to spend time verifying the correct orientation - so easy to plug that 8 pin adapter in the wrong way around!

Looking forward to see how you get on.

View attachment 516093

Looking good my friend.

Yes, it can get the best of us sometimes. For whatever reason the Macronix chips have been harder to get a good read. We're not exactly sure why. The Winbond however seem to work so much better. Congrats!

Yes I have this video card.
But at the moment little luck with big sur 11.4 beta. I installed the developer profile on my Big Sur stable release but the software update does not find any beta available. Tried to unroll and enroll but nothing. So I downloaded the 11.4 beta and prepared the installation usb using the same EFI (based on that of djlild7hina) I successfully use in Big Sur 11.2.3. I have disabled WEG and did not use the agdpmod string in the boot arguments. When I boot from USB with 11.4 beta I get to the installation screen but after a few seconds kernel panic occurs. I don't understand what this KP is about.
So I'm currently using the Radeon Rx 6900 with Windows 10.
You can use my EFI. Note that I don't have USB ports mapped yet (because I'm still troubleshooting sleep).

There is also a custom memory map in there which won't apply to you.

Remember that updates won't work if you have a broken seal - Opencore has a guide for this but the easiest solution is to do a clean reinstall.

Let me know how you get on - if this EFI won't work its likely a bios issue as we have the same board - I accept that
your GPU is different.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    9 MB · Views: 136
You can use my EFI. Note that I don't have USB ports mapped yet (because I'm still troubleshooting sleep).

Remember that updates won't work if you have a broken seal - Opencore has a guide for this but the easiest solution is to do a clean reinstall.

Let me know how you get on - if this EFI won't work its likely a bios issue as we have the same board - I accept that
your GPU is different.

Heres a USB kext for the Sage/10G

your GPU is different.

Tried your EFI - with or without USB kext - I don't get to the installation screen: it stops immediately at the apple logo without the loading bar appearing below. Bios is the last version and works with Big Sur 11.2.3
I enclose my EFI

Attachments

• EFI OC 068.zip
    9.1 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I have the attached 3302 bios which I am using - I got it from @IOZ1 - it has a customized Apple logo replacing the Asus logo. I am also attaching my bios settings for comparison. I had two Sage 10G's - the first one had bricked 10G ports so I sold it and replaced it with another Sage 10G. This bios and EFI worked on both boards no problem.
Note that the EFI that I posted earlier did not have Whatevergreen - not sure if you need this for your GPU.
Anyway hope this will help you.

Also I'm wondering if your 6900XT is natively supported in OS X?

Attachments

• Mac Bios Settings_setting.txt.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 40
  • WSXTG.CAP.zip
    10.1 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
The bios is configured correctly. I tried clean install from usb again but it always occurs KP arrived at the install screen. I don't think it's a problem with the 6900 XT but maybe some changes made by apple in beta 11.4 which maybe needs some new patch for the 299 platform.

Just a heads up on the Sage, only Slot-2 is officially supported under BIOS Settings. The reason for this is if you enable TB in BIOS it switches Slot-2 to the PCH. PCH lanes are the only lanes that are officially supported on the Sage for Thunderbolt. If you disable Thunderbolt BIOS settings, it'll switch slot-2 back to PCIe lanes.

If you put it in another slot you'll have to use the jump pins 1 and 3 method. Adjusting the SSDT will be a pain with all the pcie-bridges due to the plx chips. You'll have to use ioreg to see the address of the slot as needed. The address may also change due to how many PCIe slots are populated.

Here's an example of what it should look like

Code:
Scope (\_SB.PC01.BR1A)
{
        If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
        {
            Scope (SL01)
            {
                Name (_STA, Zero)  // _STA: Status
            }

Scope (PEGP)
            {
                Device (EGP0)                // create new device name here
                {
                    Name (_ADR, 0x00100000)  // _ADR: Address (Address changes per slot)

// Insert thunderbolt SSDT code here
                }
            }
        }
}

I previously had two flashed GC Titan Ridge (v1.0) cards working but didn't do extensive testing on how stable it was since I only had one thunderbolt 3 device at the time.
I could not get a two TitanRidge v1.0 to run.
One works perfectly (pcie slot-2 + pins1_3). When another card added to slot-3, or slot-4 - only TB on slot-2 still works.
And I dont saw any working examples. I know about removing a device and adding another device with the right address... but it doesn't work.

I'm looking for some help with Thunderbolt on my X299X Designare 10G platform.
I know this is the Big Sur topic and I'm running Catalina [for Pro Tools reasons].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back