Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Word to the wise though. I broke the firmware chip on mine. I believe during testing I had my clip backwards at some point and well...oh well. All to say, be super careful!

Anyways, I got a couple of replacement chips and am paying someone locally to put a socket on the card so I can take the chip in and out during testing. Assuming the card survives the repair, I'll be back at it in no time!

Yikes! Are there two different chips on this? I haven't flashed a card in a while so might need to look up Casey's guide again

Yikes! Are there two different chips on this? I haven't flashed a card in a while so might need to look up Casey's guide again
This card just has one. Honestly, for the platform, I find this card in ICM mode to be an excellent easy addition to the Prime platform.

Saw in another forum you got radeonBoos to work with your 5700XT, would you mind sharing your EFI?
Here it is (sorry for the delay)
You need to fill you serials and your boot arguments ;)

Attachments

• X299 AsRock Creator OC068 MacOS11.2.3.zip
    16.9 MB · Views: 50
Switched from Radeon VII to Radeon Rx 6900 XT

Well, after many, many hours messing around trying to get my new ASUS X299 Prime-II to work, its finally coming together.

Honestly I had to rebuild about at least 6-7 times yesterday chasing random crashes and a constant failure to boot due to "USB Overcurrent Status Detected". No damage to USB ports, no shorts on the board to the case etc. I even through trial and error removed and replaced the board applying electrical insulation tape in key areas trying to diagnose this damn short...

In the end it turned out to be a loose metal retention bracket inside the built in IO cover that clips on the back of the USB ports - it was becoming loose and dangling onto a surface contact causing the short and failure to boot!

Once that was dealt with, and resizable BAR disabled (which looks like a requirement for MacOS btw) a few tweaks to the EFI and now all is starting to look good. The actual MacOS bit has been the easiest part of the change!

Native NVRAM seems to be working correctly, no more crashes with Intel Power Gadget, 3 NVMe slots (two on CPU lanes), Onbard M2 wifi socket - its shaping up to be a very good board.

I've still got to complete USB mapping and optimising the SSDT's, fixing a few sleep/shutdown quirks but once done I'll report back with a working EFI template folder. :thumbup:

Last edited:
@ICEVISION @jaspercat5

I'd read through the Thunderbolt section here to get a better understanding of what's going on. I've copied in a snippet thats super helpful.

From @CaseySJ's Gigabyte Z490 Vision D Guide

In short we will not see drivers loaded in the Thunderbolt/USB 4 tab unless we are in extended mode which requires firmware flashing. CaseySJ is right here, thats not necessary for everyone.

If you do attach and load a device such as an Apollo you will see it in the PCIe tab instead.
I flashed my Tital Ridge 2.0. See screenshot.

Created a SSDT using HackinDROM

Key issue is sleep is broken - need to troubleshoot and read a bit more - thanks for the links @NorthAmTransAm

Will update when solved.
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 15.29.13.png

I flashed my Tital Ridge 2.0. See screenshot.

Created a SSDT using HackinDROM

Key issue is sleep is broken - need to troubleshoot and read a bit more - thanks for the links @NorthAmTransAm

Will update when solved.
View attachment 515921

Wow good job! Pretty incredible stuff. Welcome to team Thunderbolt Bus!

Yes, sleep seems to be a persistent issue. Some systems have no problem, some not so lucky.

My system is Alpine Ridge so its just patches and an SSDT but hopefully the ThunderboltEX4 card I have will have some success with a patched firmware. I'm currently replacing the ROM chip with a socket so that I can more safely test out all the different firmware versions.

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 9.57.03 AM.png

Wow good job! Pretty incredible stuff. Welcome to team Thunderbolt Bus!

Yes, sleep seems to be a persistent issue. Some systems have no problem, some not so lucky.

My system is Alpine Ridge so its just patches and an SSDT but hopefully the ThunderboltEX4 card I have will have some success with a patched firmware. I'm currently replacing the ROM chip with a socket so that I can more safely test out all the different firmware versions.

View attachment 515925
What did you do ?
Can share an efi folder?

What did you do ?
Can share an efi folder?

This works for the EX3 card only. I've got it worked out for the Prime z370a 1 and 2. If you have that card then we might be able to work it out for the x299.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back