Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
good days,

i am confuse now. motherboard Asus X299 Deluxe II, and the newest BIOS is 3301.
previous BIOS 0802 so far so good on macos.
but i upgraded BIOS to 3301 last night and i no longer can boot into macOS via Opencore....

bios 0802:
i have one issue, if i enable CSM in bios and boot into macos, all USB port dead.
any solution for such issue except to disable CSM?

What SSDTs do you have? you most likely need SSDT-RTC0.aml along with BIOS Settings Above 4G Encoding enabled, Disable CSM, and MSR Lock Control disabled

Thunderbolt with Thunderbolt Bus support
Credits to @CaseySJ and contributors in his forum. As well as @DSM2 for releasing initial modified NVM23 firmware
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help, most of my installation is complete, the only important thing I'm still lacking is Tb support. USB-c behaves inconsistently, sometimes my drive is detected, sometimes it is not. But I've never got my system to the point where I could see anything in this section:
1616797801120.png

I used @CaseySJ 's aml from another thread per recommendations to another member using configuration very similar to mine, and that enabled me to activate:
1616797892870.png

with the following files:
1616797940920.png

and this configuration changes:
1616798017919.png

But the Thunderbolt/USB4 is always empty.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Thank you.

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help, most of my installation is complete, the only important thing I'm still lacking is Tb support. USB-c behaves inconsistently, sometimes my drive is detected, sometimes it is not. But I've never got my system to the point where I could see anything in this section:

I used @CaseySJ 's aml from another thread per recommendations to another member using configuration very similar to mine, and that enabled me to activate:

with the following files:

and this configuration changes:

But the Thunderbolt/USB4 is always empty.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Thank you.
Please note that System Information --> Thunderbolt will always say No drivers are loaded unless the firmware is flashed to enable Thunderbolt Bus. We should instead:
  • Check System Information --> PCI. We can ignore the Thunderboolt section.
  • Connect a Thunderbolt device and see whether it works.

Please note that System Information --> Thunderbolt will always say No drivers are loaded unless the firmware is flashed to enable Thunderbolt Bus.
That makes sense, thank you for your clarification!

Check System Information --> PCI. We can ignore the Thunderbolt section.
This is my PCI, nothing about Thunderbolt unfortunately, even though I have a separate 3rd party USB-c:
1616800542932.png

Connect a Thunderbolt device and see whether it works.
When I plug my USB-c type external device to the back of the motherboard, the device only gets the power led, but the device doesn't show up at all.
When I plug that external drive to the front (3rd party USB-c type), the device sometimes gets picked up and I can see it in finder, but if I remove it and then reattach again to the same front port, most often it is no longer visible. I think only once I was able to re-initialize 2nd time after removing.

Please let me know if you need any of the hackintools PCI printout or something else.
The two files I'm using are from your earlier posts. Otherwise I could post my EFI here if needed.

Thank you so much for looking at my case.

That makes sense, thank you for your clarification!

This is my PCI, nothing about Thunderbolt unfortunately, even though I have a separate 3rd party USB-c:
View attachment 513379

When I plug my USB-c type external device to the back of the motherboard, the device only gets the power led, but the device doesn't show up at all.
When I plug that external drive to the front (3rd party USB-c type), the device sometimes gets picked up and I can see it in finder, but if I remove it and then reattach again to the same front port, most often it is no longer visible. I think only once I was able to re-initialize 2nd time after removing.

Please let me know if you need any of the hackintools PCI printout or something else.
The two files I'm using are from your earlier posts. Otherwise I could post my EFI here if needed.

Thank you so much for looking at my case.
Let’s take a look at your IOReg file (IORegistryExplorer —> File —> Save As...). We should also double check your Thunderbolt BIOS settings, particularly GPIO3 Force Power (which needs to be enabled) and Thunderbolt Security (which needs to be No Security or Legacy).

Attachments

• ioreg-x299-designare-ex.ioreg
    5.4 MB · Views: 52
Thank you @CaseySJ,

Attached

I couldn't find references in GPIO3 in the motherboard documentation, could you please tell me where to go to check that?

View attachment 513389

Regards,
BIOS parameters seem to be okay, but there is no mention of Thunderbolt in the IOReg file, which means Thunderbolt is disabled or defective. Some questions:
  • Have you flashed the on-board Thunderbolt firmware? Ideally we should not flash it unless there's a Thunderbolt device that won't work without Thunderbolt Bus activation.
  • If Above 4G Decoding enabled?
  • If you connect a Thunderbolt device (and power it on if it has it's own power cable) before booting macOS, then boot macOS, log in, and try to use that Thunderbolt device, does it work?

• Have you flashed the on-board Thunderbolt firmware? Ideally we should not flash it unless there's a Thunderbolt device that won't work without Thunderbolt Bus activation.
No, never flashed.
  • If Above 4G Decoding enabled?
Sorry if my questions are too naive, but where is that setting? Is it also in Bios?
  • If you connect a Thunderbolt device (and power it on if it has it's own power cable) before booting macOS, then boot macOS, log in, and try to use that Thunderbolt device, does it work?
This actually is not going to detect my device at all, while, if I hot-plug my device, sometimes it gets detected, through the 3rd party USB-c. I'm yet to figure out a pattern in which the device gets detected, but never with the device plugged in while I'm booting my MacOS.

Please let me know, I can try to reboot a few times and hopefully catch it when my system detects this USB-c, and then do another IOReg snapshot? would that help?

Regards Casey, and thank you.

No, never flashed.

Sorry if my questions are too naive, but where is that setting? Is it also in Bios?

This actually is not going to detect my device at all, while, if I hot-plug my device, sometimes it gets detected, through the 3rd party USB-c. I'm yet to figure out a pattern in which the device gets detected, but never with the device plugged in while I'm booting my MacOS.

The first priority would be to ensure that Thunderbolt is activated and visible in IOReg each time the system boots (i.e. Thunderbolt is consistently available). Some thoughts:
  • Do you have Windows and/or Linux installed on this machine?
  • If so, does Thunderbolt work consistently in either of those operating systems?
Additionally:
  • If you are using a Thunderbolt SSDT, please disable it and reboot the system.
  • After logging back in, run IORegistryExplorer and post the IOReg file (File --> Save As...).

• Do you have Windows and/or Linux installed on this machine?
No, but I could make a Linux live USB and run from it if needed.
  • If so, does Thunderbolt work consistently in either of those operating systems?
This part I don't know. I only ran once to generate my first list and the first set of DSDT, I didn't specifically look at Tb.
Additionally:
  • If you are using a Thunderbolt SSDT, please disable it and reboot the system.
I don't have Tb SSDT - I just ran from a master boot USB, making sure I have nothing extraneous:
1616901104520.png

• After logging back in, run IORegistryExplorer and post the IOReg file (File --> Save As...).
File is attached.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I no longer see USB 3.1 in my system report, don't know why.

Attachments

• ioreg-x299-designare-ex - Mar27.ioreg
    5.3 MB · Views: 38
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back