Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Bloke,
I have done some studies and was impressed the number of ssdt you have in your EFI/ACPI folder.
I was wondering you have one that is Thunderbolt specific. I was trying to adopt yours exactly, but it didn't do anything for me. Also, the audio, I got my headset parameters working, but the speakers from the back side of the motherboard do produce sound, but with a loud buzz, like the cable is touching the ground sound. Do you have your sound working too? If so, how did you make it work?

Please advise, I really appreciate any advise/direction you could give me.

Thank you so much.
Firstly: do you have the Designare X299X 10G motherboard? Your profile lists the Designare Ex, which I think is an earlier version. There could well be differences between the Ex and the 10G, so I wouldn't assume that everything would work fine on yours using the EFI from the 10G. Things like Thunderbolt could definitely be different, though I don't know for sure.

If you do want to continue with using a Designare 10G EFI then I've just posted an updated OpenCore 0.6.7 EFI for that MB; you can find it in this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-x299x-catalina-support.288625/page-70#post-2235527

It uses a lot less SSDTs as I've moved most of the cosmetic stuff to DeviceProperties.

I don't use onboard audio as I have a USB sound card, but I just tested my onboard microphone and headphone ports and both seemed to work fine. That's using AppleALC with ALC ID = 7. Again, I have no idea if that would be the same for your MB or not.

As for Thunderbolt - firstly, I'm afraid I know very little about this, as that's the one feature I'm yet to try. I don't have any Thunderbolt devices at all yet. I have used the TB3 ports as USB ports and that works fine, but that's all I can test. The Thunderbolt SSDT included in the EFI you've seen - and also included in the updated EFI I linked above - was written by @dolgarrenan .

His work is described in quite a lot of detail in the first post of that thread I linked above. Note that he patches his Thunderbolt ROM to get full functionality, a process that's also described in that thread. Though I believe that many TB3 devices should work without patching - stuff like sound cards for example. I believe it's mostly TB3 networking that require the firmware flashing in order to work. And again, this is something that may differ a little or a lot between your MB and the Designare 10. But it's not something I can help with at this time I'm afraid, as it's the one area I'm still not able to do any testing on.

Firstly: do you have the Designare X299X 10G motherboard? Your profile lists the Designare Ex, which I think is an earlier version. There could well be differences between the Ex and the 10G, so I wouldn't assume that everything would work fine on yo
Thank you so much TheBloke for such a detailed response, I really appreciate it. I decided to invest time learning how to make my own ssdt extracting from live boot of linux. I've read that this should give some additional performance boost, so I'll do my further research on that subject.
Warmest regards,

I had planned to reflash for Smalltree but I was struggling to get the 10G ports working in Windows first. Device Manager showed the X550 device as Ethernet but with a different vid. Updating the Intel drivers wasn't possible in Windows as the Intel software wouldn't recognize the device.

That's when I tried Linux/Ubuntu - because the Intel Preboot 26.0 software wouldn't work in Windows. I did get the software to work in Linux though. The problem is that the X550 device memory cannot be written to, so it's corrupted. Not sure what could cause that.

I also tried Ethtool in Linux but it only shows the two Intel PCiE 1Gbe adapters not the X550, which appear as *unclaimed.

Who really knows the history of this board. But I can't imagine it would pass Asus QC checks without working X550 adapters.

@izo1 - it was still a great purchase for the money so thanks again for the original heads up. If someone did try the Smalltree / EEPROM flash and it went wrong it would be quite easy to return it, with Amazon's no quibble return policy.

Maybe it was a dead NIC and the user also damaged the pins and returned it?

Keep pushing your local ASUS they might be able to swap it out for you. Or maybe even have the person that bought from Amazon talk to Amazon's customer support to see if they can replace it in the country you're in for free and you can ship the old one back? The latter not sure how that's gonna work out.

Worst case you can just disable the onboard NIC in BIOS and put in a Aquantia 10G card for $50 or something. It's going to use the same amounts of PCIe lanes anyway, so you don't lose anything. I guess it's less "aesthetically pleasing" but once you have that card in there you're never going to remember if it's the onboard NIC or a PCIe card haha

I mapped all my used ports now and I'm at 14 which is perfect
Hi @arkanis I see that we're working with the same MoBo :)

For USB mapping, did you have each physical port mapped to an individual address pair in IOReg?
I found that with my MoBo, each 'controller' (i.e. each group of USB ports) is mapped to a single address pair, like: USB 3 ports will be mapped to SS05 (for USB 3) and HS05 (for USB2).
Attaching an image that might help clarify.

Sleep is working thanks to this too so amazing!!!

@djlild7hina how did you get sleep to work? I've been trying for a while now, messing with darkwake settings, hybernation modes, different kexts, etc., but I couldn't figure it out.

Hi @arkanis I see that we're working with the same MoBo :)

For USB mapping, did you have each physical port mapped to an individual address pair in IOReg?
I found that with my MoBo, each 'controller' (i.e. each group of USB ports) is mapped to a single address pair, like: USB 3 ports will be mapped to SS05 (for USB 3) and HS05 (for USB2).
Attaching an image that might help clarify.

@djlild7hina how did you get sleep to work? I've been trying for a while now, messing with darkwake settings, hybernation modes, different kexts, etc., but I couldn't figure it out.

Sleep works fine for me with just doing a usb mapping. My Bluetooth is set to Internal (255) but I'm also using an ASUS board so it may be different for you.

My usb mapping can be located on my github

That's using AppleALC with ALC ID = 7
Hello again TheBloke, Thank you so much. This did the trick for me, I actually was using 11. Everything in my sound works perfectly now! My system is almost complete now, just need to figure out why my FenviT919 does not get detected, and I'll be done with the essential stuff. :)

macOS 11.3 Beta 4 update went well

aboutthismac.png

Worst case you can just disable the onboard NIC in BIOS and put in a Aquantia 10G card for $50 or something. It's going to use the same amounts of PCIe lanes anyway, so you don't lose anything. I guess it's less "aesthetically pleasing" but once you have that card in there you're never going to remember if it's the onboard NIC or a PCIe card haha
Thanks good to know!

Hey Everyone. I have been using a Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9 motherboard with 3 1080ti's and stuck on High Sierra for while using clover. been a little while since I updated this machine. Recently my rendering software has started using Metal GPU support so I am looking to move to Big Sur with this rig and a couple of Radeon vii's

within the last month i updated a different i7 machine to Open core, so I am a bit firmilar and would like to update this other one to Open core also. My question is whether anyone has any insight into this x299 Asrock board ( with has a 10G nic that i couldnt get a copy of 10.6.3 update the firmware so never worked) or whther maybe I should see if I can score a Asus x299 Sage 10G which a lot of you seem to be using. I am seeing one for $600

Hey Everyone. I have been using a Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9 motherboard with 3 1080ti's and stuck on High Sierra for while using clover. been a little while since I updated this machine. Recently my rendering software has started using Metal GPU support so I am looking to move to Big Sur with this rig and a couple of Radeon vii's

within the last month i updated a different i7 machine to Open core, so I am a bit firmilar and would like to update this other one to Open core also. My question is whether anyone has any insight into this x299 Asrock board ( with has a 10G nic that i couldnt get a copy of 10.6.3 update the firmware so never worked) or whther maybe I should see if I can score a Asus x299 Sage 10G which a lot of you seem to be using. I am seeing one for $600
I didn't understand what you're looking for
But I have a valid EFI for X299 Asrock Creator
Hope this could helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back