Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you measure decibels at idle? There are a ton of apps free on App Store. Maybe you'll share some pics? Benchmarks too? I don't wanna stress you, I'm just curious about the hardware itself and, much more, about the Radeon Pro cards. Leg me explain, we know on windows RX and Pro cards differ by driver implemented, optimized for gaming (RX) or for pro apps (Pro), but, since in MacOS the driver stuff is totally handled by Apple itself, I'm really curious about differences between something like your Pro W5500 and the RX 5500 XT. I suspect there's no difference at all given the X6000 driver recognizes the Navi 14 chip and handles all the cards with the same chip equally but I can be wrong, maybe someone here knows about this things in a proper way?!

See my edited post above. I'm not sure how accurate to measure the decibels but shoving my phone right next to it (with side panel open) was around low 40s. Think my AIO pump is louder (it's running at higher RPM)

delete

Last edited:
This is my EFI, I got your same mobo. Check it but remember to add your serial, UUID and all the other required stuff in platform info. You should also double check your BIOS configuration and maybe customize your own USB map (even if mine works ok but it's ok for my needs obviously). Let me know if it works.
HI @djlild7hina and @pieropontra

pieropontra's EFI didn't work.
The PC reboots at some point at the end of the booting process.

BUT

having seen his EFI had ProtectUEFIServices turned off I did turn off such Quirk in my EFI and then the system booted.
Catalina and Mojave boot up nicely with such option turned on bugt Big Sur pretended it to be turned off.

So now it's all solved!
Thanks a lot for your help.

HI @djlild7hina and @pieropontra

pieropontra's EFI didn't work.
The PC reboots at some point at the end of the booting process.

BUT

having seen his EFI had ProtectUEFIServices turned off I did turn off such Quirk in my EFI and then the system booted.
Catalina and Mojave boot up nicely with such option turned on bugt Big Sur pretended it to be turned off.

So now it's all solved!
Thanks a lot for your help.
I think that quirk is disabled by default, so everything is like it should be. Gald it now works for u.

@tegezee You didn't include an EFI folder in your post, but from the KP logs, the issue clearly seems USB related. The only USB problem I've had on our motherboard was when I didn't have "Above 4G Decoding" set to Enabled, however it didn't give KPs - it just meant that USB and Ethernet didn't work at all.

Maybe you have an issue with a USB map, or an incorrect SSDT. Or I suppose it could be something specific to a USB device you're using.

I'm doing some work on my X299 at the moment - cleaning up the EFI, and trying a custom patched version of OpenCore to try and fix the super annoying boot failure issue exclusive to our Designare X299X 10G motherboard (as described in the X299 Catalina thread that's more specific to our motherboard.)

I'll get back to you in the next 24 hours with an EFI and my current F3C BIOS config, which includes a CPU and RAM overclock. I still don't have the EFI set up as I want it with regards to DeviceProperties and the like, but it does work fine with no KPs.
Hello Bloke,
I have done some studies and was impressed the number of ssdt you have in your EFI/ACPI folder.
I was wondering you have one that is Thunderbolt specific. I was trying to adopt yours exactly, but it didn't do anything for me. Also, the audio, I got my headset parameters working, but the speakers from the back side of the motherboard do produce sound, but with a loud buzz, like the cable is touching the ground sound. Do you have your sound working too? If so, how did you make it work?

Please advise, I really appreciate any advise/direction you could give me.

Thank you so much.

Had a major issue with my Amazon warehouse 'bargain' Asus X299 Sage 10G. The reason it was so cheap - apart from the bent pin- is that the X550 adapter is bricked. Didn't notice at first as I've been using an Intel Gbe card and was only in when I went to upgrade the eprom to work with the small tree drivers that I realized. Spent most of last week trying to reinstall the firmware using Intel Preboot 26.0 in Linux among other 'fixes'.
The problem is that the Vid is showing as 8000 when it should be 8086 and Bootutil output reads "the adapter cannot be initialized due to inaccessible device memory". I have asked Asus to help (I'm not optimistic) and it looks like I won't have 10G which is a bit of a bummer because I was planning to upgrade my NAS later in the year. Decided on getting a brand new board and selling-on the current board - should be able to get my money back as it was very cheap.
Otherwise the board works like a charm compared to the other X299 boards I had originally.

Had a major issue with my Amazon warehouse 'bargain' Asus X299 Sage 10G. The reason it was so cheap - apart from the bent pin- is that the X550 adapter is bricked. Didn't notice at first as I've been using an Intel Gbe card and was only in when I went to upgrade the eprom to work with the small tree drivers that I realized. Spent most of last week trying to reinstall the firmware using Intel Preboot 26.0 in Linux among other 'fixes'.
The problem is that the Vid is showing as 8000 when it should be 8086 and Bootutil output reads "the adapter cannot be initialized due to inaccessible device memory". I have asked Asus to help (I'm not optimistic) and it looks like I won't have 10G which is a bit of a bummer because I was planning to upgrade my NAS later in the year. Decided on getting a brand new board and selling-on the current board - should be able to get my money back as it was very cheap.
Otherwise the board works like a charm compared to the other X299 boards I had originally.

I'm sorry you ran into those issues. I've had pretty good luck with Amazon warehouse for the most part but lately it's been hit or miss.
Are you still in the return period? I’m not sure how much shipping is back to the states to return it is tho

Last edited:
It makes no sense to return it, I paid £80 to ship it and only £220 for the board.

Asus Service were not helpful! Told me to return it to Amazon. It will probably bring what I paid for it if I sell it on Ebay as it works perfectly apart from 10G. As I said it is a great board and perfect for our needs with NVRAM so I have no regrets at all. There is a local independent Asus repair centre in the Uk so they could likely fix it and I've asked for a quote. Probably needs just an external eprom programmer to reflash.
Any news, I'll post.

Sorry to hear about that.

Can you flash it in Linux or something?

I am not sure who in their right mind would flash the X550 NIC and then return it to Amazon?

I had planned to reflash for Smalltree but I was struggling to get the 10G ports working in Windows first. Device Manager showed the X550 device as Ethernet but with a different vid. Updating the Intel drivers wasn't possible in Windows as the Intel software wouldn't recognize the device.

That's when I tried Linux/Ubuntu - because the Intel Preboot 26.0 software wouldn't work in Windows. I did get the software to work in Linux though. The problem is that the X550 device memory cannot be written to, so it's corrupted. Not sure what could cause that.

I also tried Ethtool in Linux but it only shows the two Intel PCiE 1Gbe adapters not the X550, which appear as *unclaimed.

Who really knows the history of this board. But I can't imagine it would pass Asus QC checks without working X550 adapters.

@izo1 - it was still a great purchase for the money so thanks again for the original heads up. If someone did try the Smalltree / EEPROM flash and it went wrong it would be quite easy to return it, with Amazon's no quibble return policy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back