Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was asking if there's a preferred Bios version to install.
Thanks I go with 3301.

This is an upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur and not a clean install.
The Catalina Backup boots up regularly as the Big Sur Recovery does.

Thanks!

Yeah try 3301 and my original BASE-EFI with the recommended BIOS settings. If that doesn't work, try doing a clean install to see if it installs.

Yeah try 3301 and my original BASE-EFI with the recommended BIOS settings. If that doesn't work, try doing a clean install to see if it installs.
Hi there,

I've installed the new Bios ver 3301. I modified all the values to match your suggestions.
Unluckily Big Sur still doesn't boot. See attachments using VirtualSMC and FakeSMC.
I tried to see if it made any difference.

I'm now progressing to creating a USB installer and trying to perform a clean install.
Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• 0d1940b0-73db-429a-8099-0200a3b5fdf1.jpg
    0d1940b0-73db-429a-8099-0200a3b5fdf1.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 4fddf430-0ac9-4f6f-968e-569fd022e8e8.jpg
    4fddf430-0ac9-4f6f-968e-569fd022e8e8.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 42
Hi there,

I've installed the new Bios ver 3301. I modified all the values to match your suggestions.
Unluckily Big Sur still doesn't boot. See attachments using VirtualSMC and FakeSMC.
I tried to see if it made any difference.

I'm now progressing to creating a USB installer and trying to perform a clean install.
Thanks a lot.

Darn.. hopefully the clean install goes better!

Darn.. hopefully the clean install goes better!
No, same issue installing through Big Sur Installer.
The installer booted correctly, I formatted the drive then proceeded.
After a few reboots the macOS Installer disappeared signalling a completed installation BUT the system is still not booting. It getsa stuck as before.

I'm not sure what is going on.
Any idea?

After a few reboots the macOS Installer disappeared signalling a completed installation BUT the system is still not booting. It getsa stuck as before.

Any idea?

Unfortunately I don't :(. hopefully someone else can chime in

Any idea?
This is my EFI, I got your same mobo. Check it but remember to add your serial, UUID and all the other required stuff in platform info. You should also double check your BIOS configuration and maybe customize your own USB map (even if mine works ok but it's ok for my needs obviously). Let me know if it works.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
@djlild7hina did you received your W5500? I'm pretty intrigued by it!

Just came and installed. Really like the single slot and initial impressions are it’s quieter than my rx 580.

So far...
Works:
- 3 4k monitors at 4k 60 using (Displayport to hdmi adapters/ Displayport to hdmi cables), 1 4k tv at 4k 60 using Displayport to hdmi cable
- Sleep/Wake
- Netflix DRM
- WEG and agdpmod=pikera not required but seems to help with black/green screens (Not sure what causes the issue since it's not consistent but it appears to be Navi kext related)
- No crackling audio with Focusrite interface

Minor Issues:
- It's only detecting one of my monitors Sound preferences after reboot for some reason. Just moved my cable from one to the other and that works fine. Seems to be more stable now

Major Issue:
- Randomly black (DisplayPort) / green (HDMI) screen and kernel panics/reboots.

Update:
Tried clean installs and also switched to iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS and still ran into Green screen. WEG + pikera flag appears to prevent the kernel panic/reboot but green screen still occurs and only way to see anything is to manually reboot.

Update 2:
Reseated the CPU, cleared the CMOS/reset BIOS settings, changed to Displayport cables instead of hdmi adapters, and moving to another PCIe slot. So far so good *crosses fingers*. Still not perfect but it hasn't crashed as often recently.

Running on 11.3 beta 4
Metal Geekbench:
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 4.28.44 PM.png

OpenCL Geekbench

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 4.32.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 4.07.46 PM.png

Using iPhone mic right against gpu was around 41-42 decibels at idle.

Last edited:
Just came and installed. Really like the single slot and initial impressions are it’s quieter than my rx 580. Dual 4K 60 with dp to hdmi adapters working, sleep works, drm works, and no need for agdpmod=pikera or WEG
Can you measure decibels at idle? There are a ton of apps free on App Store. Maybe you'll share some pics? Benchmarks too? I don't wanna stress you, I'm just curious about the hardware itself and, much more, about the Radeon Pro cards. Leg me explain, we know on windows RX and Pro cards differ by driver implemented, optimized for gaming (RX) or for pro apps (Pro), but, since in MacOS the driver stuff is totally handled by Apple itself, I'm really curious about differences between something like your Pro W5500 and the RX 5500 XT. I suspect there's no difference at all given the X6000 driver recognizes the Navi 14 chip and handles all the cards with the same chip equally but I can be wrong, maybe someone here knows about this things in a proper way?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back