Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should already be in english if you used my EFI but glad you got it to work
Did you just updated to a W5500 mate? Like I see in you sign.

How doy you judge it? It was a choice between RX 5700 XT and that W5500 for me and I ended up with the 5700XT.

Did you just updated to a W5500 mate? Like I see in you sign.

How doy you judge it? It was a choice between RX 5700 XT and that W5500 for me and I ended up with the 5700XT.

Guess I updated a little early since it's still on it's way but I should get it Friday. I'll update how it works out. I wanted a single slot card without watercooling and since I don't do anything super GPU intensive in mac I felt the W5500 was pretty good choice. Just really hope it works :lol:

Apparently the guy who discovered this stuff is italian like me, anyway I'm not sure this is actually Metal acceleration and not just PCI ID check like previously reported. Hope to be wrong
The guy works for OTOY, most likely he's correct if there is complete metal support, but I don't have any RDNA2 cards to test.

I think @sixsixtysix has on the deluxe II
Just saw this:

Yes, I have 256GB of Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz running fine on a Prime Deluxe II and a 10980xe.

Jeez man, two PMs, and the same post in two threads? I've posted here every day for weeks, you don't need to scream to get a reply :p

Anyway, obviously the EFI I posted works fine for me. However you have an X5700. So try adding boot arg agdpmod=pikera

Also, I uploaded a more recent EFI than that - there's one dated 23rd November, in this thread. It's 99% identical, but the 23/11/20 EFI is the one I used to update to Big Sur, so I'd use that one to be safe. I've re-attached it here.

This EFI has AirportItlwm disabled, as the kext included is still for Catalina. That will need to be updated to the BigSur version if you plan to enable AirportItlwm. But I don't recommend enabling it for install/update, only once the Big Sur install is known to be working fine.
Hello TheBloke,
I'm going to try to follow your setup, since I have a very similar model, except 10G it is EX, and you use Vega 64 as well as me, my CPU is i9-9960.
But my problem at this moment is a weird one, I'm still struggling with setting up my bios. When I follow the bios setup recommendation at the beginning of this thread, configure everything, save and reboot, I get this weird behavior that the monitor does not see the computer, so it goes into a sleep mode.
At first I doubted that the BIOS caused this, but I did reset my CMOS_SW reset, and the screen reappeared. I went through the bios setup once again, then the same thing repeated after save and reboot.
Any idea what could happen or why it is doing that?

HI all,

I need some help to run Big Sur on a Asus Prime X299-A, RX 580 8GB on the top slot. SMBIOS iMacPro1,1.
I was coming from Catalina and a perfectly working system but after I run Big Sur installer and after it completed the install process Big Sur doesn't boot.
It ends up after long writing text into a Kernel Panic, see image.

I tried other OC EFI I found here, like a General Asus one shared through GitHub by shinoki7 but the system doesn't boot.
Recovery boots up correctly on my EFI.

I didn't even think there would be issues running Big Sur on OpenCore for Asus X299. I was wrong.
Can anyone help me?
I've attached the EFI too.

Thanks all...

Attachments

• a6273a04-96e6-4e6c-8ee3-f5267c5abdaf.jpg
    a6273a04-96e6-4e6c-8ee3-f5267c5abdaf.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 10.16.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 59
  • 3bea7f43-a1d0-4f37-80a1-732a498ea157.jpg
    3bea7f43-a1d0-4f37-80a1-732a498ea157.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 45
HI all,

I need some help to run Big Sur on a Asus Prime X299-A, RX 580 8GB on the top slot. SMBIOS iMacPro1,1.
I was coming from Catalina and a perfectly working system but after I run Big Sur installer and after it completed the install process Big Sur doesn't boot.

I tried other OC EFI I found here, like a General Asus one shared through GitHub by shinoki7 but the system doesn't boot.

I didn't even think there would be issues running Big Sur on OpenCore for Asus X299. I was wrong.
Can anyone help me?

Thanks all...
I got your same board and it works ok for me, so it's definitely a config issue. I reccommend you to follow the Dortania guide for Big Sur and OC, u'll learn everything you need. Otherwise, you should try @Loloflatsix or @djlild7hina EFIs in the repository.

HI all,

Can anyone help me?

Thanks all...

Make sure you follow the config settings and update your BIOS. Most important BIOS settings are Above 4G Encoding enabled, Disable CSM, and Disable MSR lock.

It should work with my Base EFI (I've tested various boards)

All I added to this EFI compared to my Base 0.6.7 was your USB mapping SSDT and change some of the boot-args

Curious if you've tried a clean install and the same issue happened? I know someone else had issues updating to Big Sur due to some other kexts installed that wasn't compatible.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.4 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Make sure you follow the config settings and update your BIOS. Most important BIOS settings are Above 4G Encoding enabled, Disable CSM, and Disable MSR lock.

It should work with my Base EFI (I've tested various boards)

All I added to this EFI compared to my Base 0.6.7 was your USB mapping SSDT and change some of the boot-args
I'm coming from Catalina. In Catalina everything worked.
Big Sur Recovery works.
Big Sur itself doesn't.

With your EFI Big Sur doesn't boot, Big Sur Recovery doesn't boot. I mean with the general one.
I will test tomorrow morning thanks for the new EFI!

Is it possible the issue has to do with the graphics card ACPI?
There's a troubleshooting entry in Dortania about it.

Thanks all.

I'm coming from Catalina. In Catalina everything worked.
Big Sur Recovery works.
Big Sur itself doesn't.

With your EFI Big Sur doesn't boot, Big Sur Recovery doesn't boot.
Is it possible the issue has to do with the graphics card ACPI?

Thanks all.

What BIOS are you on and settings?
I don't think it's the SSDT-BRG0 that's causing the issue.

Does this also happen on a clean install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back