Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, your choice / suggestion:

Opt. 1 —> 1500 - (700+100) = 700€ in my pocket if I sell VII and keep this used 5700XT + Morpheus heatsink mod

Opt. 2 —> Not monetize the VII, return the 5700XT and live my life like anything never happened.

Would be great to hear @pastrychef opinion here, he’s super skilled in GPUs !
I vote for Opt. 2. Keep the more powerful GPU and you bought with the correct price!

I successfully updated my build from clover to opencore 0.6.6 but I'm struggling on a fresh install of Big Sur on new m.2 ssd. The installer successfully loads but it jumps from 34 to 17 minutes, continues to load, then at the 12 minute mark crashes with "Service exited due to SIGKILL | sent by diskarbitrationd[56]" error message.

Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk X299
CPU: Intel Core i9-7940X
GPU: Radeon 550
Ram: 64 GB Corsair DD4 3200
SMIOS: MacPro7,1

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Your mobo needs NVRAM support for a fresh install. Does your have it ?
FYI @TheBloke invented a method (in this thread) to install on Unsupported NVRAM Mobos ;)

Updated to 11.3 Public Beta: Radeon VII now is ok, USB audio problem is gone and 5700XT is ok too. Now, what should I do? Both cards seems to work fine in 11.3 and this generates a dilemma for me because this basically is evidence that Apple, even if unofficially, still keeps an eye on VII drivers.

I spent 700€ for a used 5700XT reference which blower fan idle noise is painful and this requires an aftermarket heat sink for 100€ (I’ve sensible ears, I hate noise). My Radeon VII (bought new) is currently valued 1500€ median price and I considered switching to 5700XT only for usb audio bug, otherwise a great card and idle silent with reference 3 fan cooler.

So, your choice / suggestion:

Opt. 1 —> 1500 - (700+100) = 700€ in my pocket if I sell VII and keep this used 5700XT + Morpheus heatsink mod

Opt. 2 —> Not monetize the VII, return the 5700XT and live my life like anything never happened.

Would be great to hear @pastrychef opinion here, he’s super skilled in GPUs !

Sell the Radeon VII while it's hot, the 6800 or 6800XT will be a good upgrade soon, I'm pretty sure Apple HAS to put in RDNA2 GPUs in the 2021 Mac Pro (Last Intel Mac Pro?). Also RDNA2 pretty much will be "officially" supported since Radeon VII never was and was more like a bastard child.

What happens when you disable the TB3 SSDT? I found that SSDT from another designare user from a couple years ago so wasn’t sure if it would work.

Still not sure why you only had two controllers in USBMap when there should’ve been three. I renamed the Alpine Ridge one to XHC3 and the ASMedia one to XHC2

Buried in some other threads I found a SSDT that not only enables hotplug but also show the full tree under the thunderbolt tab in the system report...

Problem is, it's pretty unstable, sometimes it loads sometimes it doesn't... why ? god only know hahaha

I have a new concern now, 11.2.2 was released... I'm running the update through the updater, it downloads, installs, reboots, keep installing but when it reaches the desktop nothing was updated. Any idea what could be blocking this ?

I have a new concern now, 11.2.2 was released... I'm running the update through the updater, it downloads, installs, reboots, keep installing but when it reaches the desktop nothing was updated. Any idea what could be blocking this ?
I had to select manually "Macintosh HD" in OC screen on the first reboot ;)

Heads up!!

Turned out UAD drivers were preventing me from migrating/cloning into Big Sur!

It took several attempts and then, finally, I did NOT allow the Kexts to load when it asks for permission to allow System Extensions. Then I installed the latest UAD software and it works fine. Odd that it would break the boot so hard but I can now confirm it had nothing to do with my EFI!

Heads up!!

Turned out UAD drivers were preventing me from migrating/cloning into Big Sur!

It took several attempts and then, finally, I did NOT allow the Kexts to load when it asks for permission to allow System Extensions. Then I installed the latest UAD software and it works fine. Odd that it would break the boot so hard but I can now confirm it had nothing to do with my EFI!

Nice glad you got it figured out :)

I had to select manually "Macintosh HD" in OC screen on the first reboot ;)
Yeah I figured out and felt pretty dumb... got used to old Clover Ways where it was names "Instal... bla bla bla".

Thank you for the heads up :)

OpenCore 0.6.7 Update on my Github :)

Bootloader / Kexts:
* WhateverGreen 1.4.8
* AppleALC 1.5.8
* VirtualSMC 1.2.1

XhciPortLimit is still enabled in the Base EFI but note that it currently does not work in the 11.3 betas. If you haven’t created your own usb kext, install 11.2 or older to create your usb kext first.

Attachments

• DJ7-OC067-Pro WS X299 Sage II.zip
    8.4 MB · Views: 59
  • DJ7-OC067-WS X299 Sage 10G.zip
    8.5 MB · Views: 65
  • DJ7-OC067-BASEEFI.zip
    8.5 MB · Views: 42
  • DJ7-OC067-ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore.zip
    8.4 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Are there any fixes that are useful or relevant to X299 users?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back