Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have the ASMedia kext? Underscore looks like a symptom.
As for the issue with other kexts, I'm not sure.... may be best to look at the ones that caused permissions and reboots first?
I do have the ASMedia kext as well as a version of the latest USBMAP kext from @Loloflatsix

Yea, I guess I will have to reinstall, re-migrate to test. Or I can just start from scratch... which doesn't sound super appealing haha

Yes - always a risk getting something so cheap but well worth it - Really loving this board!

To temporarily get around the lack of an internal USB2 header for BT I soldered up a USB male and marked the USB port HS6 255 'internal' and added the network adapters to config plist under device properties as built in. Using a 1Gb Intel card for ethernet till I sort out the 10G port.

The only other issues are the way that Apple reports the memory section. I'm using 4 x 8Gb 3600. See screenshots. ....And that pesky Intel Power Gadget not reporting the power draw properly. Strange because when I had the board on the test bench IPG worked fine. very strange. Using my own EFI (065) - yours is a better EFI (all device properties mapped / 067) and I may revert to using that one long term.
For memory use my EFI because I use the new restrictevents kext which fixes that issue with MacPro7,1 SMBIOS

For memory use my EFI because I use the new restrictevents kext which fixes that issue with MacPro7,1 SMBIOS
I will thanks - no point in reinventing the wheel :D

I will thanks - no point in reinventing the wheel :D
Technically you already did the hard work with CustomMemory =p Either way works but RestrictEvents is definitely easier. I prefer CustomMemory since it’s one less kext and the Memory page looks cleaner

Last edited:
Lots or resources available if you Google "Gigabyte Designare EX x299 port map kext" or go to Page 141 of this thread for more information.
Always worth the time to do this yourself, but I'm sure there will be a usbport.kext out there if you look.

I've been searching the web for that with different combinations and nothing really related to my mobo, found a link but they sell the EFI folder for 49 bucks...

I've also read a lot about how to do it, etc. I'm just lacking a USB-C device to be able to map properly those ports and some things are confusing to me, especially when reading that segment (page 141 and on) about dual controllers showing up for my motherboard...

My rig otherwise is running stable, I really don't want to **** it up :D

good idea!

No WEG and no agdpmod is needed.

Going to double check later but i think DRM works jus
Just installed a reference RX 5700 XT, I can confirm there's no need for WEG and USB Audio issue is gone! I'm a happy guy!

Is it normal for a blower style card like this to sound a bit louder than the VII which has 3 fans? it's my first blower.

Metal scores in Geekbench 5 is absurd! It's a 76000 vs 65000 of the VII (which is in theory a bit faster in raw TFLOPS). Definitely better drivers and support in macOS for 5700 XT than VII.

Just installed a reference RX 5700 XT, I can confirm there's no need for WEG and USB Audio issue is gone! I'm a happy guy!

Is it normal for a blower style card like this to sound a bit louder than the VII which has 3 fans? it's my first blower.

Metal scores in Geekbench 5 is absurd! It's a 76000 vs 65000 of the VII (which is in theory a bit faster in raw TFLOPS). Definitely better drivers and support in macOS for 5700 XT than VII.

Good to hear it wasn't the mobo that was the issue. You can get so much for your VII right now because it's the best GPU for mining Ethereum right now, people get up to 100MH/s per card. It's more than the 3090. I mine on the weekends for fun with a single Radeon VII (with it being undervolted in Windows).

As far as the score, sounds about right. But VII/GCN arch is much better in computational workloads than the 5700XT, the scores are probably related to the macOS driver. Have you ever tried Radeon Boost? You will get correct scores with that, but I believe with Big Sure 11.1 you don't need Radeon Boost anymore.

As far as the noise level, I can't say because I've been watercooled since day 1 with the VII, but I would assume because the VII has 3 fans vs 2 on the 5700XT, it can run at lower RPMs on the VII to create less noise.

I've been searching the web for that with different combinations and nothing really related to my mobo, found a link but they sell the EFI folder for 49 bucks...

I've also read a lot about how to do it, etc. I'm just lacking a USB-C device to be able to map properly those ports and some things are confusing to me, especially when reading that segment (page 141 and on) about dual controllers showing up for my motherboard...

My rig otherwise is running stable, I really don't want to **** it up :D

Does this kext not work?

Good to hear it wasn't the mobo that was the issue. You can get so much for your VII right now because it's the best GPU for mining Ethereum right now, people get up to 100MH/s per card. It's more than the 3090. I mine on the weekends for fun with a single Radeon VII (with it being undervolted in Windows).

As far as the score, sounds about right. But VII/GCN arch is much better in computational workloads than the 5700XT, the scores are probably related to the macOS driver. Have you ever tried Radeon Boost? You will get correct scores with that, but I believe with Big Sure 11.1 you don't need Radeon Boost anymore.

As far as the noise level, I can't say because I've been watercooled since day 1 with the VII, but I would assume because the VII has 3 fans vs 2 on the 5700XT, it can run at lower RPMs on the VII to create less noise.
Honestly I think VII is a beast considering architecture, raw power, VRam bandwidth etc. but is a fact that Apple doesn't support it officially like you can see on their official Mac Pro website page. They state the cards officially supported in Mac Pro are the same supported in egpus (basically 470/570 480/580 WX7100 for Polaris | Vega 56 and 64 + Frontier and WX9100 for Vega and 5700 (XT) for Navi). I was using VII since Mojave and never had any issue with it until 11.1 came out and broke USB audio, and I wouldn't have considered swapping otherwise. Now, probably Apple will fix this in 11.3 or later and I'll miss my VII but the unofficial support puts the VII in an uncomfortable position of being incline to unsolved bugs given Apple isn't obliged to keep the X5000 driver updated and, since the VII performance is comparable to the 3K $ Vega II MPX (same Vega 20 GPU), I think Apple is nerfing VII on purpose. So, at the moment our choice is between less support | more power for VII or better support | less power for 5700, what do you think? the blower anyway is painful, I can clearly hear it while the VII is totally silent! But I can buy an aftermarket air cooler (Raijintek Morpheus + 2 x Noctuas 120mm = 100 €) and probably solve the blower fan issue. I don't want to water-cool anything 'cause I hate pumps rattling, my Noctua D15S + 2 x A12x25 is plenty adequate and ultra silent.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back