Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, some progress (glacial) here are some of the images, and yes I have the ASMedia.kext installed this time, it's starting to come together a bit...

I should note this is better, but I haven't saved, renamed, or remapped anything yet.

I haven't added the "SSDT-X299-Designare-iMacPro.aml" to the system yet.

Back panel partly mapped, still work in-progress... I'd like to get the "Unable to Identify" mapped
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 5.03.43 PM.png

Motherboard IO mapped a bit more
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 5.02.20 PM.png

Here is the IOReg screenshot hopefully this is what @Loloflatsix wanted to see correctly?
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 4.42.24 PM.png

USBMAP Part 1
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 4.39.04 PM.png

USBMAP Part Deux
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 4.39.22 PM.png

@Jasoncole98 - still need to get that PXSX controller renamed before you can really start I think.

Good news over here - I am writing this post from Big Sur booted and working well on Gigabyte X299 Aorus Ultra Pro, NVRAM is working, Bluetooth and WiFi also working natively (its not the on board Killer AC WiFi for anyone stumbling on this, I swapped the mini M2 card on the back panel for BCM43960CS).

I've still got to tidy up some basics first, but its working and I need the machine for work tomorrow, but after that I'll start to take a look at the USB mapping and see if we can move this Gigabyte thing forward :thumbup:

(EDIT: Spoke too soon, I have the same problem as you, on the same 4 back panel ports, no devices detected - and I thought they were attached to the X299 chipset and wouldn't be a problem. Thats even with USBInjectAll and XhciPortLimit true. Will dig deeper tomorrow)

Last edited:
The ASMedia.kext is linked here : #1,254

You should see your RPXX ---> PXSX on your IOReg with this kext, that's why it's strange to me if you can't see with : let me know.

[ edit : and when your USB.kext is ok you can remove the ASMedia.kext ]

On my Asus X299 Prime Deluxe I use full SSDTs and SSDT-PMC but from where I am writing now, on my Asus X299 Rampage Build, I only use the required SSDTs and two for my VEGA GPUs.
So SSDT-PMC is not the cause of the problem.

@Jasoncole98 - still need to get that PXSX controller renamed before you can really start I think.

Good news over here - I am writing this post from Big Sur booted and working well on Gigabyte X299 Aorus Ultra Pro, NVRAM is working, Bluetooth and WiFi also working natively (its not the on board Killer AC WiFi for anyone stumbling on this, I swapped the mini M2 card on the back panel for BCM43960CS).

I've still got to tidy up some basics first, but its working and I need the machine for work tomorrow, but after that I'll start to take a look at the USB mapping and see if we can move this Gigabyte thing forward :thumbup:

(EDIT: Spoke too soon, I have the same problem as you, on the same 4 back panel ports, no devices detected - and I thought they were attached to the X299 chipset and wouldn't be a problem. Thats even with USBInjectAll and XhciPortLimit true. Will dig deeper tomorrow)
Maybe some progress RP13 is the internal USB C :

Code:
    Device (\_SB.PC00.RP13.XHC2)
    {
        Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address
        Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
        {
            If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
            {
                Return (Buffer (One)
                {
                     0x03                                         
                })
            }

Store (Package (0x1B)
                {
                    "AAPL,slot-name",
                    Buffer (0x09)
                    {
                        "Built In"
                    },

"built-in",
                    Buffer (One)
                    {
                         0x00                                         
                    },

"device-id",
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0x42, 0x21, 0x00, 0x00                       
                    },

"name",
                    Buffer (0x17)
                    {
                        "ASMedia XHC Controller"
                    },

"model",
                    Buffer (0x29)
                    {
                        "ASMedia ASM3142 USB 3.1 Type-C Internal "
                    },

"AAPL,current-available",
                    0x0834,
                    "AAPL,current-extra",
                    0x0A8C,
                    "AAPL,current-in-sleep",
                    0x0A8C,
                    "AAPL,max-port-current-in-sleep",
                    0x0834,
                    "AAPL,device-internal",
                    Zero,
                    "AAPL,clock-id",
                    Buffer (One)
                    {
                         0x01                                         
                    },

"AAPL,root-hub-depth",
                    0x1A,
                    "AAPL,XHC-clock-id",
                    One,
                    Buffer (One)
                    {
                         0x00                                         
                    }
                }, Local0)
            DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
            Return (Local0)
        }
    }

;)

But where are the two other ASMEDIAs :think::?: (PXSX): I also research.

Last edited:
@Jasoncole98 @Loloflatsix Think I'm making some progress.

With the attached SSDT I am able to rename my PXSX controllers and start mapping. I've noticed some unexpected behaviour which is starting to make sense now:

With only USBInjectAll and XhciPortLimit True my USB map looks like this, two controllers requiring rename, I think mine are highlighted red and showing "Needs rename" because there are two ASMedia controllers with conflicting names - yours may not show in red or highlight as conflicting because there's only one of them. However, I still think it needs the rename:

Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 12.15.04.png

I then used the tool to create the attached SSDT, added to my EFI, updated config.plist and rebooted. Now it looks like this, properly renamed and ready to map:

Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 12.26.14.png

Here's where it behaves very differently to my MSI X299 - on that board the ASMedia controllers are only for the USB-C ports, all of the USB2/3 ports are on the X299 Chipset under XHCI for mapping, nice and simple.

Gigabyte is doing it differently however - my 4 rear USB3 ports are actually on a Realtek USB Hub connected to one of the ASMedia Controllers, not on the intel X299 Chipset. So this would explain why without the ASMedia PXSX properly renamed and mapped we don't register any devices plugged into them.

Clue is in our manuals, although its not that clear, this is Aorus Manual note that it says Chipset+Realtek for my rear USB3 (red) ports - I think it should actually read "ASMedia + Realtek Hub"

aorus.png

I'm pretty sure you'll find the same on the Designare Board, only you've just got a single ASMedia controller to worry about, this is the manual entry for your X299 Designare EX, I suspect your 4 rear that you can't identify are actually on a hub connected to the ASMedia controller:

Designare.png

So lastly, this is how it looks in the USBMap tool, notice that under XHC2 it shows a USB3.0 hub and I have "Cruzer" an old USB2 flash key plugged into a rear (red) USB2/3 port and "Samsung T3" plugged into the rear USB-C port, all showing on the same controller:

Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 12.29.14.png

(Ignore my pink names of the ports above, they've carried over from my MSI build and are not correct)

The side benefit of this hassle is that it means less physical ports on a single controller and so is easier to stay under the 15 port limit :)

I need to finish going through the whole process, but its a start in the right direction. Focus on getting a version of the attached SSDT to work for your single PXSX controller rename and it should get easier.

EDIT: Assuming your IOREG is showing RP13 on PC00 try this second SSDT-USB-reset-Designare.aml I've just attached. No other USB related SSDT's (except SSDT-EC-USBX) or kexts, so no ASMedia.kext but with USBInjectAll and XhciPortLimit True and see if you can map and identify ports correctly in USBMap-master.

Attachments

• SSDT-USB-Reset.dsl
    1.9 KB · Views: 63
  • SSDT-USB-Reset-Designare.aml
    184 bytes · Views: 63
Last edited:
So on an episode of "Interesting Things", The .aml file works, kinda, with USBInjectAll removed and XhciPortLimit False this is what I see:
Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 4.02.04 PM.png

The ASMedia controller shows up proper... BUT when the kext is installed and set to true we see this:
Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 4.38.47 PM.png

Seems like it's gonna be an uphill battle to map things... when I plug into the 3.1 ASMedia port nothing shows to map.

No one has responded to the request for an explanation of exactly what MacOS does with SMBIOS, which I guess means its not very clear, so I've been thinking we should do some structured testing around that and I'd welcome input from everyone else, so we can compare performance, stability and availability of key features.

Im thinking run a suite of benchmarks, note any failures or crashes, check for differences while under load, like CPU frequency, number of active cores, which frame buffer is in use etc those kind of things, see if we can identify what is affected by the change, and see if there are genuine benefits or drawbacks of each SMBIOS for X299 outside the obvious ones like MacPro memory notification which are mostly cosmetic. I haven't really finished thinking through how it would work, something like:

Geekbench 5 - CPU and GPU tests
FCPX - BruceX
VideoProc - to check HEVC and H264 hardware acceleration
VDADecoder
Cinebench - 10 min run, multi and single core scores,
Black Magic disk speed test
Hi,

I am quite interested in these tests as well. I also use FCPX and video applications. I just do not have time atm. If I ever have room, I will test three SMBIOS. Right now I am running on MacPro7,1.

Thanks

EDIT: Also, for MacPro7,1 dortania guide says you do not need to rename ACPI for USB to be mapped. Is that still valid, since some of you ware talking about remapping..?

Last edited:
Hmmmm - I need have a further think about it. 1 step forward 2 steps back.

I finished mapping all was good, then I rebooted last night and both ASMedia controllers had completely disappeared. I reverted back to the EFI I used to map and rebooted again, and still they were not visible. After several reboots in row which failed to POST the motherboard cleared its own CMOS and went back to factory defaults...

That’s twice it’s done that so not sure if it’s an unrelated hardware issue or something to do with this.

Now I can't get the ASMedia controllers to show up at all with any combination of settings, SSDT and Kexts which were working last night. :/

...Except when I was reconfiguring the BIOS and I forgot to turn OFF "CSM" - It broke a load of other things, as id expect, but strangely there they were - both ASMedia controllers showing up and mapped properly?

All very strange and is going to need some dedicated time to unpick and make sense of it - more time than I can squeeze around work - this will be one for the weekend.

When it does work and the controllers do appear properly it maps like this, X299 Designare EX will be slightly different of course but I'd expect the same concept regarding ASMedia controllers and Realtek HUB's rather than individually addressed ports:

Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 18.16.17.png

Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 18.16.55.png

Last edited:
@rustEswan Thank you for your valiant efforts, sorry to hear that you are experiencing the same level of frustration I am, tell you what, later tonight or tomorrow, I'll boot into windows and see what those ports show up as and the paths. This may give us a clue how to do it in Mac OS.

@Loloflatsix I saw your code, but I wasn't sure where to inject it, and I used @rustEswan .aml file instead, what are your thoughts on our USB issues?

@rustEswan Thank you for your valiant efforts, sorry to hear that you are experiencing the same level of frustration I am, tell you what, later tonight or tomorrow, I'll boot into windows and see what those ports show up as and the paths. This may give us a clue how to do it in Mac OS.

@Loloflatsix I saw your code, but I wasn't sure where to inject it, and I used @rustEswan .aml file instead, what are your thoughts on our USB issues?
No USB issues by my side : some minor modifications #1,405 & #1,376 and all works as on Catalina without ASMedia.kext.

Hmmmm - I need have a further think about it. 1 step forward 2 steps back.

I finished mapping all was good, then I rebooted last night and both ASMedia controllers had completely disappeared. I reverted back to the EFI I used to map and rebooted again, and still they were not visible. After several reboots in row which failed to POST the motherboard cleared its own CMOS and went back to factory defaults...

That’s twice it’s done that so not sure if it’s an unrelated hardware issue or something to do with this.

Now I can't get the ASMedia controllers to show up at all with any combination of settings, SSDT and Kexts which were working last night. :/

...Except when I was reconfiguring the BIOS and I forgot to turn OFF "CSM" - It broke a load of other things, as id expect, but strangely there they were - both ASMedia controllers showing up and mapped properly?

All very strange and is going to need some dedicated time to unpick and make sense of it - more time than I can squeeze around work - this will be one for the weekend.

When it does work and the controllers do appear properly it maps like this, X299 Designare EX will be slightly different of course but I'd expect the same concept regarding ASMedia controllers and Realtek HUB's rather than individually addressed ports:

View attachment 506638

View attachment 506639
I had this nice and good Mobo but it unfortunately stopped and never restarted by my fault . (see here #17 )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back