"kUSBWakePowerSupply",
0x13EC, = 5100 Decimale
"kUSBWakePortCurrentLimit",
0x0834 = 2100 Decimale
})

- USB.kext :

Capture d’écran 2020-09-20 à 00.11.58.png

So they match, as expected

With this for all USB devices : XHC2, XHC3, XHC4, XHC5 (GC Titan Ridge) and XHCI.

That means that we could do without SSDT-EC-USBX and have SSDT-EC instead

I attach for Asus X299 Prime Deluxe MacPro 7,1 SMBIOS :

- Big Sur X299PrimeDUSBMacPro.kext ( ASMedia.kext no more required )
- Catalina X299PrimeDUSBMacPro.kext
- SSDT-EC
- SSDT-XHC
- SSDT-XHCi
- SSDT-TB3HP-TTR (for chip no flashed)

Attachments

• Asus X299 Prime Deluxe USBkext.zip
    22 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
@rustEswan Yeah I found that tool recently, but when I tried to test it (just like hackintool) every time I plug something in, it never shows up, and I'll grab some screen shots and circle what I have plugged in where, later after I get home from work.

It's just super frustrating when I plug something I can't identify it...

More to come, I'll read up more, and appreciate the help!
No worries - I think first thing is to make sure your PXSX controllers are mapped to XHCx something. Every time I tried to map and it wasn’t showing me anything it was due to that. You’ll need to get that sorted first, then add USBInjextAll and XhciPortLimit then try running USBmap and see if it works

when you run USBmap what does the first screen look like? Compared to my first screenshot?

Ok, so I have some more clues... If I let IORegistryExplorer "marinate" it seems to find more things and other things it's grumpy about mainly in the graphics area...

So I've been reading this article here:

And have concluded this is what I'm struggling to do... Looks like the m.2 Fenvi needs to be redirected? I have no idea why there is a USB3 hub squished in there as well.

The zip file is the IOREG dump

Here is USBmap:
USBmap.png

Here is the motherboard installs:
Designare_x299_mainboard.png

and...
Designare_x299_rear.png

Attachments

• Jason’s iMac Pro.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 85
Currently what USBMap is showing is what I’d expect based on the gigabyte spec. The board has 3 controllers (for thunderbolt/USB) - Intel X299 Chipset, ASmedia 3142 (based on 4x ACPI addresses showing under PXSX) and lastly a thunderbolt controller.

As we thought - first we need to deal with PXSX renamed to XHC2, then we can create the USBMap.

Once that is done you can tackle the two thunderbolt/USB-C ports later. I haven’t got thunderbolt so I can’t advise exact steps for that. But focus on doing things in that order.

what does the very first USBMap screen look like, before you select any options? It should offer an option to rename the PXSX controller? That will create the SSDT then you can add to your EFI with USBinjectAll and XhciPortLimit true, update your config.plist for those additions and you should be good to get started.

Ok, so I have some more clues... If I let IORegistryExplorer "marinate" it seems to find more things and other things it's grumpy about mainly in the graphics area...

So I've been reading this article here:

And have concluded this is what I'm struggling to do... Looks like the m.2 Fenvi needs to be redirected? I have no idea why there is a USB3 hub squished in there as well.

The zip file is the IOREG dump

Here is USBmap:View attachment 506396
Here is the motherboard installs:
View attachment 506397

and...
View attachment 506398

Unfortunately your USB devices do not appear on your IOReg.
I think they are on RP05 or R17 but nothing except IOPP: but the ASMedia .kext should fill them in ..annoying.

@Jasoncole98 - I also have a Gigabyte X299 Aorus Ultra Gaming Pro here which I want to try and swap my build onto because of (hopefully) working NVRAM, the third M2 storage slot and M2 WiFi (I have a BCM43960 M2 module, same as the Fenvi so I'll possibly see similar to you regarding the Bluetooth USB part).

That Aorus X299 motherboard and X299 Designare EX look almost exactly the same with the exception of the Thunderbolt controller and display ports, on the Aorus its a single rear Type-C so id expect it to show two ASMedia controllers rather than one ASMedia plus the Thunderbolt on your Designare EX.

Thing is I'm not sure if it has a hardware fault or if its just on an old BIOS that doesn't support 10th Gen because I haven't been able to get it to POST with my 10940X... ...however I just bought a cheap i5 7640x which has just turned up in the post, I'll hopefully try that later and if it POST's properly I'll update the BIOS and get to work on building a working EFI and USBmap - should be similar to yours and maybe I can help more. Fingers crossed its the BIOS and not the motherboard!

What BIOS version is your board running? You have any issues with the 10940X on older BIOS? Specifically my DRAM warning led stays lit when it fails to POST.

Last edited:
@rustEswan Thanks for the USB tip, I'll get on it later today, (just got to work), I agree it's a starting point. As for your second post, no I didn't have issues with the CPU, it had already came with the minimum needed for that CPU, it came with F6, I flashed up to rev F7c. Although I needed to install the RAM differently, since I have four 16GB sticks, I had to install like this:

RAM, empty slot, RAM, empty slot, CPU, empty slot, RAM, empty slot, RAM

So start from the outside, skip then one, ram... etc.

Might I suggest to try SMBIOS iMac19,1 first and run geekbench5, then switch back to iMacPro1,1 and lemme know what you see for OpenCL & Metal scores?

@Loloflatsix Yes it's very odd, I looked on your other post on #396, but still wasn't clear where the ASMedia.kext is located, is it inside the x299primeDUSBmacpro?? Otherwise it's not clear to me where to get it or do I have to generate one from scratch, to start my USB journey...

Question, in my EFI, I have SSDT-PMC, because others where having issues without this installed, could it be the bane of my USB issues? FYI, I haven't tried to remove it yet to test, thought I'd ask first.

Last edited:
@rustEswan
Might I suggest to try SMBIOS iMac19,1 first and run geekbench5, then switch back to iMacPro1,1 and lemme know what you see for OpenCL & Metal scores?

No one has responded to the request for an explanation of exactly what MacOS does with SMBIOS, which I guess means its not very clear, so I've been thinking we should do some structured testing around that and I'd welcome input from everyone else, so we can compare performance, stability and availability of key features.

Im thinking run a suite of benchmarks, note any failures or crashes, check for differences while under load, like CPU frequency, number of active cores, which frame buffer is in use etc those kind of things, see if we can identify what is affected by the change, and see if there are genuine benefits or drawbacks of each SMBIOS for X299 outside the obvious ones like MacPro memory notification which are mostly cosmetic. I haven't really finished thinking through how it would work, something like:

Geekbench 5 - CPU and GPU tests
FCPX - BruceX
VideoProc - to check HEVC and H264 hardware acceleration
VDADecoder
Cinebench - 10 min run, multi and single core scores,
Black Magic disk speed test

@rustEswan Thanks for the USB tip, I'll get on it later today, (just got to work), I agree it's a starting point. As for your second post, no I didn't have issues with the CPU, it had already came with the minimum needed for that CPU, it came with F6, I flashed up to rev F7c. Although I needed to install the RAM differently, since I have four 16GB sticks, I had to install like this:

RAM, empty slot, RAM, empty slot, CPU, empty slot, RAM, empty slot, RAM

So start from the outside, skip then one, ram... etc.

@Loloflatsix Yes it's very odd, I looked on your other post on #396, but still wasn't clear where the ASMedia.kext is located, is it inside the x299primeDUSBmacpro?? Otherwise it's not clear to me where to get it or do I have to generate one from scratch, to start my USB journey...

Question, in my EFI, I have SSDT-PMC, because others where having issues without this installed, could it be the bane of my USB issues? FYI, I haven't tried to remove it yet to test, thought I'd ask first.
The ASMedia.kext is linked here : #1,254

You should see your RPXX ---> PXSX on your IOReg with this kext, that's why it's strange to me if you can't see with : let me know.

[ edit : and when your USB.kext is ok you can remove the ASMedia.kext ]

On my Asus X299 Prime Deluxe I use full SSDTs and SSDT-PMC but from where I am writing now, on my Asus X299 Rampage Build, I only use the required SSDTs and two for my VEGA GPUs.
So SSDT-PMC is not the cause of the problem.

Last edited:
@Jasoncole98
RP05 is thunderbolt : I am attaching old but full SSDT from start over three years ago but unfortunately the XHC devices are missing, maybe this will help you for other PCI devices.

Attachments

• SSDT-X299-Designare-iMacPro.aml.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 54
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back