Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jasoncole98
@jaspercat5
And for other owners :

I explained here my fully functional approach fort USB X299.kext : #396

And especially for Big Sur, you need to make some adjustments for ASMEDIA USB ports on rear IO

(Otherwise, ASMEDIA USB ports do not work , you can use ASMedia.kext but a full USB.kext is better for sleep/wake and more pro. )

First take a look on your IOReg and adopt your own SSDT-XHC to load your ASMEDIA USB ports then it looks like :
- for Asus X299 Prime Deluxe on RP05 and RP07 :

Capture d’écran 2020-09-25 à 19.45.38.png

Then when you have defined your own USB.kext bound to the post, you need to make changes according to ASMedia.kext:

Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 23.11.56.png

Take your time and enjoy :thumbup:

Last edited:
As suggested we could verify the values in the kext to see if we manage to work without the SSDT-USBX :

Code:
             {
                "kUSBSleepPortCurrentLimit",
                0x0834,
                "kUSBSleepPowerSupply",
                0x13EC,
                "kUSBWakePortCurrentLimit",
                0x0834,
                "kUSBWakePowerSupply",
                0x13EC
            })

Thanks @djlild7hina for pointing that out.

In addition to my previous post:

if you do not want to add SSDT-XHC to rename the devices you can add/change in the kext some lines on respective devices with your ACPI path according to your IOReg for example on my Asus X299 Rampage VI:

name : PXSX
for
name : XHC2
acpi_path :
IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PC00@0/RP01@1c0000/PXSX@0
for
IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PC00@0/RP01@1c0000/XHC2@0
ioservice_path :
IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PC00@0/AppleACPIPCI/RP01@1C/IOPP/PXSX@0/PXSX@02000000
for
IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PC00@0/AppleACPIPCI/RP01@1C/IOPP/XHC2@0/XHC2@02000000

for
name : XHC3
acpi_path :
IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PC00@0/RP05@1c0004/PXSX@0
for
IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PC00@0/RP05@1c0004/XHC3@0
ioservice_path :
IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PC00@0/AppleACPIPCI/RP05@1C,4/IOPP/PXSX@0/PXSX@01000000
for
IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PC00@0/AppleACPIPCI/RP05@1C,4/IOPP/XHC3@0/XHC3@01000000

for
name : XHC4
acpi_path :
IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PC03@0/BR3A@0/PXSX@0
for
IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PC03@0/BR3A@0/XHC4@0
ioservice_path :
IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PC03@0/AppleACPIPCI/BR3A@0/IOPP/PXSX@0/PXSX@00000000
for
IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PC03@0/AppleACPIPCI/BR3A@0/IOPP/XHC4@0/XHC4@00000000

See on USB.plist bellow with remame :

Capture d’écran 2021-01-26 à 10.32.24.png

Last edited:
This particular mainboard is indeed a very special piece of compressed tech. But i think it has been discontinued since some time.
Nvram is not working with OpenCore on this board.

I am using an Apple BCM94360CS2 WiFi card. But to fit it in the slot of the ASRock supplied WiFi i had to use this kind of adapter. -> Link

Also you have to disassemble the metal casing of the supplied card to make some room as the adapter and Apple WiFi card are slightly taller than the original.

In this post you can see how the card sticks out:

As i am getting stutters from time to time with my bluetooth connected Apple Magic Trackpad i disabled the WiFi to fix this. Yes, that somewhat defeats the purpose of a WiFi card. ;)
I am not sure if the partially open metal housing is letting interference in or it is software-related.
I might also be the case that the card itself is at fault as it is a used part ripped out of some MacBook or similar of some unknown age and origin.

This might be the case - haven't seen (m)any EVGA boards here.
Indeed it is a strange behaviour, as your IPG shows the other parameters just fine.
Thanks very much for the information on this board, very useful indeed. I've just bought one at what I thought was a reasonable price. The NVRAM absence doesn't bother me but would have been nice to have.Delivery time is two weeks as it's coming from China so will get cracking on the build as soon as I get it.

The wifi card issue is one that I have experienced in the Rog Strix H370 and in that case I removed the housing permanently to allow access to the M2 slot. It does work well now but I did initially have stuttering on the bluetooth due to the fiddly U.FL connectors not being seated right. I don't 'need' wifi as I have an ethernet cable available but it would be nice to have. I have the adapter you linked already and also a ribbon M.2 to Apple adapter which could allow the housing to remain in place.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the information on this board, very useful indeed. I've just bought one at what I thought was a reasonable price. The NVRAM absence doesn't bother me but would have been nice to have.Delivery time is two weeks as it's coming from China so will get cracking on the build as soon as I get it.

The wifi card issue is one that I have experienced in the Rog Strix H370 and in that case I removed the housing permanently to allow access to the M2 slot. It does work well now but I did initially have stuttering on the bluetooth due to the fiddly U.FL connectors not being seated right. I don't 'need' wifi as I have an ethernet cable available but it would be nice to have. I have the adapter you linked already and also a ribbon M.2 to Apple adapter which could allow the housing to remain in place.

Does the X299 Dark have onboard Wifi? You could also use the BCM94360NG without a m.2 adapter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083YXS7VF/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

@Loloflatsix

I totally appreciate what you are trying to teach me with the previous posts, but I'm having some issues with some basic parts of it.

1. Where do I get the ASMedia.kext & USB.kext?
2. I'm reading on the Dortania website on how to make one, but it's hard to wrap my head around.
3. I can see both controllers in IOREG but what's odd is that the ASMedia controller used to show 4 ports, but now they are ghosts, and I can't see any (I'll post a pict when I get home from work) I may unplug all USB and try that too.
4. Mapping manually is nearly impossible since nothing shows where I plug it in, although the volume mounts in the Finder.
5. We haven't even touch on the part where I plug in USB-C to the Thunderbolt ports.

I have no problem editing the file in post 1,377, it's just a lot of typing.

Thank You very much,
Jason

@Loloflatsix

I totally appreciate what you are trying to teach me with the previous posts, but I'm having some issues with some basic parts of it.

2. I'm reading on the Dortania website on how to make one, but it's hard to wrap my head around.
3. I can see both controllers in IOREG but what's odd is that the ASMedia controller used to show 4 ports, but now they are ghosts, and I can't see any (I'll post a pict when I get home from work) I may unplug all USB and try that too.
4. Mapping manually is nearly impossible since nothing shows where I plug it in, although the volume mounts in the Finder.
5. We haven't even touch on the part where I plug in USB-C to the Thunderbolt ports.

Thank You very much,
Jason

The best is to start with one of the kexts linked here : #396

You can attach your IOReg then I 'll see where are your devices.

The ASMedia usb ports are coupled 2 by 2

On your back IO you have :

Chipset+Intel® ThunderboltTM 3 Controller:

d : 2 x USB Type-CTM ports on the back panel, with USB 3.1 Gen 2 support

Chipset+Realtek® USB 3.1 Gen 1 Hub:

- 2 x 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports on the back panel

f : USB 3.1 Gen 1 Port : 2 +1

g : USB 3.1 Gen 1 Port (White) : 1

Capture d’écran 2021-01-26 à 16.09.05.png

Last edited:
Does the X299 Dark have onboard Wifi? You could also use the BCM94360NG without a m.2 adapter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083YXS7VF/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
The X399 Dark does have onboard wifi but I chose not to use it with the Apple BCM94360CS2AX which I have. Instead, I use a Fenvi PCIe WiFi / Bluetooth module which is a cleaner install and Bluetooth is recognised as native Apple so airdrop works great. I did have problems in the past with an Z390 Dark with onboard M.2 wifi as I didn't have the antenna's connected properly (maybe they worked loose during install) ...which was a pain because the board had to come out to remove the housing to get to the M.2 wifi port.

The card you linked, yes, I am familiar with those (bought two of them) and the problem with them (generally perhaps not the one Amazon sell) is that the male U.FL ports on the card are very soft and bend very easily. The ports on the Apple cards don't.

Last edited:

@Loloflatsix

Thank You very much,
Jason
Sorry to jump in and maybe I've missed something but looking at the EFI you uploaded the other day I see that you don't have USBInjectAll.kext installed. My understanding is that this is a base requirement before you start port mapping.

@Jasoncole98

There's a lot of good guides out there already so I won't repeat in full - but a couple of tips I can share, you can learn from my earlier mistakes... :)

I've just finished re-mapping my ports after a tear down and rebuild to tidy up my cables. I used some different internal headers and on my previous EFI's I shared I didn't have all of the personalities for my USB-C ports correct so they didn't always work if you unplugged a device and happened to plug it back in the other way round. Felt like a good time to go through a re-map.

Im not saying this the only or perfect way to do it but it worked for me so thought it worth sharing.

I needed these things to finish mapping correctly:
  • Working SSDT-USB-reset to properly map PXSX devices to XHC2/XHC3 (ASMedia controllers for my front and rear USB-C ports) Or follow @Loloflatsix guides above - but you need these controllers to show up as unique names in the CorpNewt's USBMap tool, when you run it it will tell you if something needs renaming and even offers create the SSDT for you based on devices it finds
  • USBInjectAll.kext in my EFI folder and updated in config.plist
  • XhciPortLimit True - under kernel quirks in config.plist
  • USBMap command line tool
  • Once finished I only need SSDT-USB-reset and my custom USBmap.kext created with Corpnewts USBMap tool, that's it - but I am doing the more tried and tested living with the 15 port per controller limit.
If your SSDT created in step 1 has worked it should look something like this:

Screenshot 2021-01-26 at 21.05.51.png

The Corpnewt docs and Dortania guide are great but there where a few things that I didn't understand like the number of ACPI ports I was seeing under each controller or whether I needed to set type 9 or 10 for my USB-C ports. Heres what I found...

If you are doing it with the USBmap tool you can also see whether the USB-C ports are ACPI type 9 or 10 based on the number of port personalities (ACPI port addresses) shown and the number of actual physical ports.
There should be:
  • 1 HS port per physical USB2 port
  • 1 HS and 1 SS port per physical USB3 port
  • 1 HS and 1 SS per USB-C Type 9 port
  • 2 HS and 2 SS per USB-C Type 10 port
I think I saw earlier in the thread someone mention that ASMedia controllers are 2x2 (type 9) ports but I've found on my MSI X299 that one of the ASMedia contollers is a type 9 and the other is a type 10. In the USB map tool when you flip the USB-C device over if it changes address its a type 10

Like this below, notice that although my XHC2 is a single USB-C it is a type 10 and has 4x personalities, XHC3 is a single USB-C but type 9 and has only 2x personalities, and I mention this here because it totally threw me at first, I thought something was broken but it is due to MSI using two different controllers on the same board:

Screenshot 2021-01-26 at 21.06.53.png

This should create a USBmap.kext with an info.plist that looks something like this, I'm just showing the ASMedia XHC2/3 here not the straightforward XHCI intel section:

Screenshot 2021-01-26 at 20.49.18.png

(Edit: Typo on the image above - the yellow box should be labelled XHC3 USB 3.2 Gen2x2 AS Media 3242)

And these correspond to my motherboards ports like so, RED ports would take me over 15 ACPI ports per controller due to needing the internal headers to control my AIO, so I chose not to use these:

MSI X299 Pro USB Map Back Panel.png

MSI X299 Pro USB Map Motherboard.png

Ive attached my SSDT-USB-reset and USBMap.kext - they obviously won't work for your board but thought they might help if you want to have a dig around and compare yours.

Don't forget when you're done you don't need USBInjectAll.kext anymore and XhciPortLimit quirk can be set back to false.

Good luck - hope that helps, its worth taking the time to do. :)

Attachments

• SSDT-USB-Reset-MSIX299PRO.aml
    330 bytes · Views: 75
  • USBMapMSIX299PRO.kext.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
@jaspercat5 I didn't have it in the EFI when I uploaded it, but put it back in last night, thanks for the catch. I'm am also using the Fenvi card, in the m.2 slot, but macos/ioreg sees it on usb, which is odd...

@rustEswan Yeah I found that tool recently, but when I tried to test it (just like hackintool) every time I plug something in, it never shows up, and I'll grab some screen shots and circle what I have plugged in where, later after I get home from work.

It's just super frustrating when I plug something I can't identify it...

More to come, I'll read up more, and appreciate the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back