Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great advice and many thanks for taking the time to go through the EFI - very much appreciated.

Will amend the EFI and see how I go.

Just a few points:
Remove CpuTscSync.kext

• Remove SSDT-HDEF-299Dark.aml*
  • Remove SSDT-HPET.aml*
  • Remove SSDT-USB-Reset.aml*
  • Disable CustomMemory in PlatformInfo
  • Delete Memory in PlatformInfo
  • Add RestrictEvents for memory errors
  • Add SMCProcessor.kext
  • Add SMCSuperIO.kext
  • Do not use USBInjectAll.kext (use it only temporary to create a full USB map then remove it and use the USB map kext) and build an actual USB map manually or with the help of Hackintool, but you must clean up the USB map that it creates. You do not need to create a USB map for ASMedia, only the onboard Intel chipset. So if you use Hackintool to create the USBMap, delete all the other entries that are not Intel. But clean it up.
  • boot-args npci=0x2000 you shouldn't need this, only keepsyms=1 for x299

SMCProc and SCCSuper had no effect on IPG. So I removed them.

USBInjectAll is there because although I already had previously mapped the USB ports and headers but I wanted to wait until I had resolved the 3.1 issue (thanks for your advice on that too) ...before I created the USBPort kext.

It won't boot without the 0x2000 argument. Will try swapping it out with the keepsyms=1.
* You most likely do not need these. For SSDT-HDEF-299Dark.aml Audio you can set your Audio ID in the DeviceProperties in the config.plist, which it seems you are already doing, but make sure the PCI path is correct using Hackintool. The rest I haven't had a lot of time to check, but you can easily clean up the EFI by downloading some of the other users examples and trying to match it.
I think the HDEF one crept in when I was having a few problems with the WiFi card which wasn't attached to the PCIe slot properly causing WiFi to fail...and I wrongly thought it was the missing HDEF kext.

For Audio, yes the PCI device path is correct for this board and audio works fine in terms of pin outputs although here is no pin layout in Hackintool for the Creative CA0132 like there is on my other hacks (ASRock and Rog Strix)

For information I tried all the layout-id's and layout-id 2 is the one that is correct for those that want to save time although I appreciate that layouts can change even on the same model boards.
To answer your other questions:

You need to bless the drive to make it default, that is done natively in System Preferences > Startup Disk. If NVRAM is working correctly, you can select your macOS drive from this menu by unlocking/entering admin password, then selecting the macOS drive and then locking it again and it will make macOS your default boot drive. If it throws an error, then we need to fix NVRAM.
Unfortunately blessing the drive does not stick - hence my conclusion that NVRAM isn't working on this board. Indeed a clean install from USB does not work either (install boot loop) so cloned from Catalina and then upgraded. I have two other hacks so I can create a clean install if I want.
Don't worry about ASMedia, it works natively and you don't need to map or do anything about it. USB3.1 will work natively as well.

Thanks again.

This is my first Hackintosh build, and my first post on this forum. First I would like to thank everyone that has contributed to helping each other learn, understand, and be better at their respective systems. Thank you @Loloflatsix for this thread it has helped me figure out what I need to do, @arkanis for sharing his EFI folder, I was able to use some settings in there for the latest version of OpenCore 0.6.5 to get my Designare EX up and running smoothly.

My Build:
MB: Gigabyte x299 Designare EX
CPU: Core i9-10940x (couldn't get the 18core flavor)
RAM: Crucial Ballstix 3600 16GBx4 = 64GB total
Video: Sapphire RX 580 8GB
SSD: Samsung Evo 970 1TB (MacOS), Samsung Evo Plus 1TB (Win10)
WiFi-Bluetooth: Fenvi m.2, replaced Intel m.2
Case: NZXT 710i
SMBIOS: iMac19,1

Notes:
I couldn't boot the installer at first until I examined @arkanis EFI file, after looking really hard it was very clear that CpuTscSync.kext was the mandatory file that needed to be in my EFI to make things boot at all. Oddly it's vaguely mentioned it needed for HEDT boards like ours. This should be stated somewhere to help others boot IMHO...

Thank You @TheBloke for this post to clear up what I was trying to find late at night!!!

Thank You @UtterDisbelief for this tutorial on USB mapping, BUT... My MB has 2 controllers, question, can I have 15 USB ports per controller? Respectfully this info would be helpful on MBs that have add-in cards or multi controllers.

Issues:
1. Sometimes on boot it does stall or no boot at CpuTscSync while CPUs rendezvous (maybe switch to TSCAdjust?)
2. Since I did a fresh install of Win10 on the second NVMe drive, There is now a Microsoft folder in my EFI, which doesn't bother me that much, as long as Win10 boots, just odd...
3. Had to change the SMBIOS from original MacPro7,1 to iMac19,1 to get performance back from the video card (geekbench scores), also I didn't want to select the iMacPro1,1 as suggested cuz it's a 2yo machine.
4. When either rebooting or shutting down, the dock kinda freezes or stutters but eventually does it's thing, just weird...
5. Mapping USB ports is still on my todo list!!! Need to figure that, not much time till the weekend...

Last edited:
This is my first Hackintosh build, and my first post on this forum. First I would like to thank everyone that has contributed to helping each other learn, understand, and be better at their respective systems. Thank you @Loloflatsix for this thread it has helped me figure out what I need to do, @arkanis for sharing his EFI folder, I was able to use some settings in there for the latest version of OpenCore 0.6.5 to get my Designare EX up and running smoothly.

My Build:
MB: Gigabyte x299 Designare EX
CPU: Core i9-10940x (couldn't get the 18core flavor)
RAM: Crucial Ballstix 3600 16GBx4 = 64GB total
Video: Sapphire RX 580 8GB
SSD: Samsung Evo 970 1TB (MacOS), Samsung Evo Plus 1TB (Win10)
WiFi-Bluetooth: Fenvi m.2, replaced Intel m.2
Case: NZXT 710i
SMBIOS: iMac19,1

Notes:
I couldn't boot the installer at first until I examined @arkanis EFI file, after looking really hard it was very clear that CpuTscSync.kext was the mandatory file that needed to be in my EFI to make things boot at all. Oddly it's vaguely mentioned it needed for HEDT boards like ours. This should be stated somewhere to help others boot IMHO...

Thank You @TheBloke for this post to clear up what I was trying to find late at night!!!

Thank You @UtterDisbelief for this tutorial on USB mapping, BUT... My MB has 2 controllers, question, can I have 15 USB ports per controller? Respectfully this info would be helpful on MBs that have add-in cards or multi controllers.

Issues:
1. Sometimes on boot it does stall or no boot at CpuTscSync while CPUs rendezvous (maybe switch to TSCAdjust?)
2. Since I did a fresh install of Win10 on the second NVMe drive, There is now a Microsoft folder in my EFI, which doesn't bother me that much, as long as Win10 boots, just odd...
3. Had to change the SMBIOS from original MacPro7,1 to iMac19,1 to get performance back from the video card (geekbench scores), also I didn't want to select the iMacPro1,1 as suggested cuz it's a 2yo machine.
4. When either rebooting or shutting down, the dock kinda freezes or stutters but eventually does it's thing, just weird...
5. Mapping USB ports is still on my todo list!!! Need to figure that, not much time till the weekend...
1 definitely go for tscadjust
2 i personally use the windows boot loader at bios given I have separate drives, you should too.
3 stick to MacPro7,1, don't give too much credit to GeekBench
4 weird
5 quickest and simplest way is using Hackintool

Thank you for your feedback @pieropontra,
1. Prolly will when I get home today... and see what happens...
2. So, I have used UEFI and bootstrap, and have disabled traditional BIOS selection, Ideally I'd move the MS EFI somewhere else, just don't know how.
3. I've already logged into my AppleID account and it (Apple) knows about this machine. This new build replaced a failed 2009 MacPro5,1 firmware from 4,1. Not sure if I log out of my Apple ID and try iMacPro1,1 and see what happens, testing performance does give you a clue to if things are working right...
4. agree
5. I've tinkered with it last night, but I plug things in and the thumb drive mounts the volume, but is invisible to Hackintool, so more to come on that oddity... prolly remove USBInjectAll.kext and see what shows up...

@izo1
Amended the EFI which is attached as it may help others. Interestingly on this board it simply won't boot past the picker if the npci=0x2000 argument is not present. Noticed this when playing with some of the MSI / Asus sample EFI's when I was experimenting a week or so ago. Also left the Custom memory map I created in place, even with RestrictEvents.kext it doesn't report the memory properly, without the custom map.. see attached pics.

You were right about those SSDS not being needed nor the CpuTscSync.kext which I've removed. Interestingly I see on @Jasoncole98 's post that he needs this kext to reliably boot his Gigabyte board and I would just say that with SMBIOS Macpro7.,1, I can't boot my EVGA. I tried yesterday. But with iMacPro1,1 it boots fine.

IMG_1731.JPGIMG_0520.JPG

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.4 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Boot arguments are case sensitive, NPCI=0x2000 is nonsense and will have no effect. It should be npci=0x2000 (or npci=0x3000).

Of course, just a typo as you’ll see from my config.plist.

I’ll nip back and edit it as we’re supposed to be helping, not misleading, folks on this platform.

Thank you for your feedback @pieropontra,
1. Prolly will when I get home today... and see what happens...
2. So, I have used UEFI and bootstrap, and have disabled traditional BIOS selection, Ideally I'd move the MS EFI somewhere else, just don't know how.
3. I've already logged into my AppleID account and it (Apple) knows about this machine. This new build replaced a failed 2009 MacPro5,1 firmware from 4,1. Not sure if I log out of my Apple ID and try iMacPro1,1 and see what happens, testing performance does give you a clue to if things are working right...
4. agree
5. I've tinkered with it last night, but I plug things in and the thumb drive mounts the volume, but is invisible to Hackintool, so more to come on that oddity... prolly remove USBInjectAll.kext and see what shows up...
2 Just use the bios to choose which OS to boot and delete MS folder in OC EFI
3 I've switched smbios many times, it will simply show as a new device in iCloud, just log out from the old one

Unable to install BS on Asus Rampage VI Extreme using OC.
I created the USB following the dortania guide for the Skylake-x.
USB boots and installer loads successfully.
But after selecting the destination device for the OS install. The screen closes and went back to installer landing page.

My rig configuration is following:
MB: Asus Rampage Extreme IV
Bios: Currently 3105. (Altough I also tested with 2002 and 3600. But faced same issue).
CPU: 7940x
SSD (to install BS): Transcend 250 GB
GPU: Vega 64 (in first PCI-e slot)
Ram: Corsair Dominator 16x4
Casing: Corsair 1000D

I used both USB-C and USB 3 flash devices to install the BS. But same issue.
Even created the Catalina installer with OC. But faced the same issue.

Bios configuration is same as mentioned in the kgp mojave guide. (Except TB3 is disabled and 4G encoding is enabled).

Here is my EFI folder.

Any help?

Try this with BIOS 3201 or 3301. Make sure Above 4G Encoding is Enabled and MSR lock is Disabled in the BIOS. Also I copied your serial from your EFI folder but I would use a new serial.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 85
Here is an updated BASE-EFI 0.6.5 for ASUS X299 boards. I haven't tested it yet but it should work

Some notes:
  1. Recommended to use one of the latest BIOS (From Nov 2020 recent)
  2. Enable 4G Encoding, Disable CSM, Disable MSR Lock
  3. Config.plist
    1. Contains MacPro7,1 and iMacPro1,1 config.plist (rename SMBIOS selection to just 'config.plist' (For example 'config.plist-MacPro7,1' to 'config.plist' and delete other 'config.plist...')
      1. MacPro7,1 - Added RestricEvents.kext to disable the MacProMemoryNotification Error
    2. Updated to CPUTscSync.kext so no need to manually specify amount of threads
    3. agdpmod=pikera is Enabled in boot-args for NAVI GPUs
    4. USBInjectAll and XhciPortLimit is enabled.

Attachments

• OC065-BASE-EFI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back