Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you guys noticed audio hiccups in VP9 coded videos (4k ones) with Youtube? worked ok prior to 11.1 but now I had to disable vp9 decode in safari developer tools basically losing 4k videos.

So, the BS 11.1 is out. Just tried upgrading directly on my nvme drive... the upgrade process seemed to run through normally, but after the restart, it's back at 11.0.1! So, this broken nvram saga continues...:mad::mad:
Just tried upgrading from my SATA SSD, it didn't work either:( @TheBloke, we'll probably need some of your magic work here... (BTW, my Threadripper Ryzentosh finished the upgrade without any issue...)

Did you guys noticed audio hiccups in VP9 coded videos (4k ones) with Youtube? worked ok prior to 11.1 but now I had to disable vp9 decode in safari developer tools basically losing 4k videos.
Actually is not a Safari issue, but usb related to my usb audio card. The as media controller is gone. No go with usb kext and no go with patch + usbinjectall

Sorry to hear about the upgrade problems. I never did finish the Python script - other stuff got in the way.

However, I have seen that same upgrade problem on my X299 with working NVRAM. It may still be related to NVRAM, as I've been clearing mine out now and then so it's possible some key (maybe the same msu-product-url) is meant to be there and I'd earlier cleared it out. But I definitely did not clear NVRAM during the update process itself.

When I upgraded from 11.1 beta 2 to 11.1 RC1, I watched the process. At the first reboot, I had two new EFI entries in OpenCore: "EFI", and "Macintosh HD", with EFI the first and therefore default. This was in addition to my normal NVMe boot entry. EFI and Macintosh HD looked a bit weird, so I tried choosing my normal NVMe boot entry. I thought it was working because I got a "10 minutes remaining" screen, but after that 10 minutes I was still in 11.1 beta 2 - the update had not applied.

I tried rebooting again, and chose EFI. It did nothing - just took me back to OpenCore. Then I tried Macintosh HD. In the verbose boot log I could see it running commands that I remembered seeing during the initial Big Sur install, so that looked promising. But it rebooted quite quickly, and when I was back to OpenCore those extra EFI and Macintosh HD entries were still there. I tried going into my normal entry, and it was still not upgraded. I tried running Macintosh HD a couple more times, no improvement.

Therefore it appears that if the update doesn't apply right the first time, it won't work.

So I booted into the non-updated 11.1 beta 2, and started the update again. This time, after the first reboot, I tried choosing Macintosh HD. Now it ran those update-y commands for a lot longer. It rebooted automatically, and I think at that point the EFi and Macintosh HD entries were gone. Or maybe they were still there and I had to choose Macintosh HD again, I can't remember. But it did eventually work, and I booted into my normal NVMe entry and now had 11.1 RC1 installed.

So, this is what I'd try, if you haven't already:
  1. In Big Sur, start the 11.1 update.
  2. At the first reboot, choose "Macintosh HD" entry if you have it - not your normal NVMe entry.
  3. Take a note of how long it takes - you should see verbose boot log messages for at least a minute or two, and if you can read them they'll talk about moving files or something along those lines.
  4. If after auto reboot you still have a Macintosh HD entry, choose it again.
  5. After one or two reboots in total you'd expect the next reboot to only have your normal SSD/NVMe boot entry. If it still says Macintosh HD after two reboots in total, it's likely not working (but still try selecting it one more time)
  6. When you reach a boot where only your NVMe/SSD entry is listed, choosethat, and you'll get a slow progress bar, possibly with "X minutes remaining", but possibly not (I think mine didn't have it).
  7. After that you'll be in to the OS, and hopefully on 11.1.

If one of you guys with issues could try that and report back, I'll investigate if necessary. If you try that and you still can't apply the update, then yeah I guess there is still an NVRAM issue. Maybe a new msu-product-url NVRAM key needs to be set, different for each update process.

Actually is not a Safari issue, but usb related to my usb audio card. The as media controller is gone. No go with usb kext and no go with patch + usbinjectall
I think it's an USB Audio latency problem, I got no problems with onboard audio. All ports work as expected a part form audio stopping/crackling via USB Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen.

Attached IOREG and screen of USB devices, can anyone at least control if all is ok in IORegistry? not just the usb part, a total check would be appreciated.

I repeat, this occurs only on 11.1, 11.0.1 worked like a charm! I updated with no NVRAM problems anyway.
Schermata 2020-12-15 alle 13.20.28.png

Attachments

• Mac Pro di Piero.ioreg
    6.9 MB · Views: 37
For me 11.1 updated without a hitch.

e. No betas and OC .6.4

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the upgrade problems. I never did finish the Python script - other stuff got in the way.

However, I have seen that same upgrade problem on my X299 with working NVRAM. It may still be related to NVRAM, as I've been clearing mine out now and then so it's possible some key (maybe the same msu-product-url) is meant to be there and I'd earlier cleared it out. But I definitely did not clear NVRAM during the update process itself.

When I upgraded from 11.1 beta 2 to 11.1 RC1, I watched the process. At the first reboot, I had two new EFI entries in OpenCore: "EFI", and "Macintosh HD", with EFI the first and therefore default. This was in addition to my normal NVMe boot entry. EFI and Macintosh HD looked a bit weird, so I tried choosing my normal NVMe boot entry. I thought it was working because I got a "10 minutes remaining" screen, but after that 10 minutes I was still in 11.1 beta 2 - the update had not applied.

I tried rebooting again, and chose EFI. It did nothing - just took me back to OpenCore. Then I tried Macintosh HD. In the verbose boot log I could see it running commands that I remembered seeing during the initial Big Sur install, so that looked promising. But it rebooted quite quickly, and when I was back to OpenCore those extra EFI and Macintosh HD entries were still there. I tried going into my normal entry, and it was still not upgraded. I tried running Macintosh HD a couple more times, no improvement.

Therefore it appears that if the update doesn't apply right the first time, it won't work.

So I booted into the non-updated 11.1 beta 2, and started the update again. This time, after the first reboot, I tried choosing Macintosh HD. Now it ran those update-y commands for a lot longer. It rebooted automatically, and I think at that point the EFi and Macintosh HD entries were gone. Or maybe they were still there and I had to choose Macintosh HD again, I can't remember. But it did eventually work, and I booted into my normal NVMe entry and now had 11.1 RC1 installed.

So, this is what I'd try, if you haven't already:
  1. In Big Sur, start the 11.1 update.
  2. At the first reboot, choose "Macintosh HD" entry if you have it - not your normal NVMe entry.
  3. Take a note of how long it takes - you should see verbose boot log messages for at least a minute or two, and if you can read them they'll talk about moving files or something along those lines.
  4. If after auto reboot you still have a Macintosh HD entry, choose it again.
  5. After one or two reboots in total you'd expect the next reboot to only have your normal SSD/NVMe boot entry. If it still says Macintosh HD after two reboots in total, it's likely not working (but still try selecting it one more time)
  6. When you reach a boot where only your NVMe/SSD entry is listed, choosethat, and you'll get a slow progress bar, possibly with "X minutes remaining", but possibly not (I think mine didn't have it).
  7. After that you'll be in to the OS, and hopefully on 11.1.

If one of you guys with issues could try that and report back, I'll investigate if necessary. If you try that and you still can't apply the update, then yeah I guess there is still an NVRAM issue. Maybe a new msu-product-url NVRAM key needs to be set, different for each update process.
When I tried the upgrade with my SATA SSD, it happened exactly as you described, and I selected the Macintosh HD when it showed up. The process went as if it's was updating properly, and the Macintosh HD disappeared on the following reboot. However, when I selected my SSD on the final reboot, it was stuck in a blank screen after showing the Apple logo. I will turn the verbose mode back on and see the what happened there...

Upgrading my Ryzentosh and X299 on nvme drive, I didn't see the EFI nor Macintosh HD showing up on the reboots. Both machines went through the two reboots; my Ryzentosh was upgraded but not my X299...

No update problems on my X299 hardware with OC 064

Last edited:
I think it's an USB Audio latency problem, I got no problems with onboard audio. All ports work as expected a part form audio stopping/crackling via USB Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen.

Attached IOREG and screen of USB devices, can anyone at least control if all is ok in IORegistry? not just the usb part, a total check would be appreciated.

I repeat, this occurs only on 11.1, 11.0.1 worked like a charm! I updated with no NVRAM problems anyway.View attachment 501110
Ok nevermind, it's definitely an USB + GPU issue. After hour spent googling, definitely is a problem caused by some sort of USB Audio + GPU issue. I can confirm this because audio rattling occurs when GPU si doing something (VP9 decode for example, but you really simply need to move a finder window to engage the problem). That said, anyone here with a Radeon VII + any kind of USB audio interface? I think Apple tests only the officially supported GPUs prior to release an update and then patches here and there 'cause 11.0.1 worked good. Anyway I'll not continue reporting here unless somebody shows he cares, don't wanna spam :p

Has anyone with ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming (it has a working NVRAM) upgraded successfully from Big Sur 11.0.1 to 11.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back