Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I started to look at getting Emulated NVRAM working due to my broken NVRAM - mainly just for convenience of setting my default startup volume to MacOS instead of windows but I don't think this is working correctly on Big Sur either, I could be wrong.

So, as always, followed the Dortania guide to the letter, set config.plist variables for Emulated NVRAM, saved the LogoutHook.command, "sudo default write com.apple...." etc.

It does successfully create an nvram.plist but on inspection this appears to be missing the expected variables for saving boot order items.

I then ran the command directly in terminal and seems that it cannot find those boot variables - I don't know if this is expected because the command is only designed to run during logout not from a user session, or whether Big Sur is storing them differently somehow causing it not to work.

Anyway here is the command being run and the resulting nvram.plist missing those variables. And also the nvram.plist looks same if I delete it, then let the LogoutHook.command create it during a normal shutdown:

Screenshot 2020-12-06 at 11.12.51.png

My guess is that Big Sur stores these variables either somewhere else or in a different format?

Also @TheBloke possibly of separate interest here is that the LogoutHook.command seems to create an "msu-product-url" key like we use to manually work around our broken NVRAM on install - do you think that once installed, with working Emulated NVRAM that this may ensure future upgrades will work correctly if they end up requiring this key?

Edit: Running "sudo nvram -p" after reboot confirms that Opencore is successfully writing the nvram.plist variables to nvram - so I think the emulated NVRAM process itself is working, just that LogoutHook.command isn't successfully retrieving the variables.

Last edited:
Yeah I believe msu-product-url could be set via nvram.plist. And it's possible that during an upgrade, LogoutHook would run and add it - if LegacySchema was set up to allow it to be written. As long as the reboot following an update is a normal reboot that runs the log out commands.

But it wouldn't help for the install case. Well, you could manually add it to nvram.plist for install, but that wouldn't be much different to setting it via the normal NVRAM -> Add.

Regarding your boot variables not being set, based on the docs I believe you need to set ExposeSensitiveData to 3 (integer format):

"The use of third-party scripts may require ExposeSensitiveData set to 0x3 to provide boot-path variable with OpenCore EFI partition UUID."

Later, under LegacySchema, it says:

"WARNING: Choose variables very carefully, as nvram.plist is not vaulted. For instance, do not put boot-args or csr-active-config, as this can bypass SIP."

I think that's why it won't overwrite by default, without ExposeSensitiveData being set.

Yeah I believe msu-product-url could be set via nvram.plist. And it's possible that during an upgrade, LogoutHook would run and add it - if LegacySchema was set up to allow it to be written. As long as the reboot following an update is a normal reboot that runs the log out commands.

But it wouldn't help for the install case. Well, you could manually add it to nvram.plist for install, but that wouldn't be much different to setting it via the normal NVRAM -> Add.

Regarding your boot variables not being set, based on the docs I believe you need to set ExposeSensitiveData to 3 (integer format):

"The use of third-party scripts may require ExposeSensitiveData set to 0x3 to provide boot-path variable with OpenCore EFI partition UUID."

Later, under LegacySchema, it says:

"WARNING: Choose variables very carefully, as nvram.plist is not vaulted. For instance, do not put boot-args or csr-active-config, as this can bypass SIP."

I think that's why it won't overwrite by default, without ExposeSensitiveData being set.

No worries - I'll see if I can do a bit more research and dig a little deeper.

I definitely have ExposeSensitiveData set to 3.

Here you go, but keep in mind I still have some refining to do, but it should get you started. The RAM portion in PlatformInfo>Memory needs to be modified for your system too if you don't have 128GB of RAM. You can delete it, but you will get a RAM notification error.

It's currently on OC 0.6.3, once 0.6.4 is out next week (Monday) I will re-upload.
What would be the modifications to implement with 32 Gigs of RAM of 3200 ?, Thanks

OpenCore 0.6.4 update went smoothly

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 11.42.58.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 11.45.08.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-07 at 11.44.35.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-07 at 11.44.57.png

Build Specifications:
  • ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Encore (BIOS 0702)
  • Intel i9-10980XE
  • 4x16 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3200)
  • AMD Sapphire Pulse RX 580 (macOS)
  • Nvidia Geforce RTX 3090 Strix OC (Windows 10)
  • Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB (macOS)
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB (Windows 10)
  • BCM94360NG Wifi/BT (Replaced on board AX200 since intel drivers are still in beta)
  • Corsair HX1000i
  • Lian Li PC011 Dynamic XL
PCIe Layout
  • x16 - RTX 3090
  • x4 - N/A (Disabled since M.2 is in higher slot)
  • x16 - N/A
  • x4 - RX 580 (Running at x4 since M.2 is in right slot on DIMM.2)
Issues:
  • SideCar does not work (since no T2 chip using Duet Display instead)

Attachments

• DJ7-OC0604-R6EE.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Nice... I think last time I fiddled with device properties I messed something up for my NVM Express Controllers and it wouldn't boot - would you mind sharing a view of your NVMExpress tab as well? Just looking to compare notes before I set about tidying up own device properties, this is almost what I was aiming for :)

Sure here! My GPUs aren't populated correctly for some reason (Display controllers are duplicated). Might be because i'm using AMD+NVidia and i'm too lazy to take out one gpu to test :lol:
Didn't show lower pane since it has serial info
Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 12.42.05.png

I got that board and I'm on Big Sur, updated flawlessly and I gotta say my system has never been more stable with 11.0.1 Definitely Apple did a good job this here (and Acidanthera too ahahah). I can't list even a single thing that doesn't work ok, a part from my VA displays... terrible color shifting! Anyone can suggest good IPS panels?
A question for @pieropontra and others who have a ASUS X299-E motherboard. I finally got my ASUS X299-E motherboard. I'm currently using MSI Raider X299 and thinking of just swapping out the motherboards. I see that the ethernet (IntelMausi) and audio (Realtek ALC1220) are same.

Questions:
1) What ssdts do I need besides SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP, SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA, SSDT-RTC0-RANGE-HEDT?
2) I have following Kexts, do I need any others: AppleALC, CpuTscSync, IntelMausi, Lilu, NVMeFix, USBInjectAll, VirtualSMC, WhateverGreen

Thanks in advance.

Here is a Base EFI for ASUS motherboards OpenCore release 0.6.4
Few notes:
  • MacPro7,1 SMBIOS
  • Adjust TSCAdjustReset.kext to amount of threads -1 (I.E 10980XE (18 core) = 35)
  • Whatevergreen is enabled. Add boot-arg agdpmod=pikera for Navi GPUs
  • USBInjectAll and XhciPortLimit is enabled
  • layout id is defaulted to 1 in boot-args
  • Custom memory is disabled but populated. Follow this guide to populate correctly.
  • Assumes you're on latest BIOS with Above 4G encoding enabled, CSM disabled, and MSR lock disabled.

Attachments

• OC064-BASE-EFI.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back