Big Thanks
I will test that tomorrow :clap: and report
[EDIT]
It Worked Perfectly and exactly as you described
Well done

I didn't remove my NVMEs but there no OSes on them
I boot on the same mobo with catalina to run your script

[EDIT]
1 - I can't succeed to replicate the installation an another SSD !!! I'm stuck in the loop of the second boot.... like the modification (msu-product-url) of config.plist isn't working
2 - the first installation have an issue due to the Broken Seal:
View attachment 499321
I'm working on it
I tried to fix the broken seal with Dortania's guide method.
But When I boot on Recovery partition and Launch "Recovery from Time Machine", there is No "Local Snapshot"
I'am the only one ?

I also tried the Loloflatsix method from post #1 .. but the "mount. -uw" command didn't work

Is there another way ?
thanks in advance

I tried to fix the broken seal with Dortania's guide method.
But When I boot on Recovery partition and Launch "Recovery from Time Machine", there is No "Local Snapshot"
I'am the only one ?

I also tried the Loloflatsix method from post #1 .. but the "mount. -uw" command didn't work

Is there another way ?
thanks in advance
What seal is broken? Filesystem, or Snapshot?

If Filesystem, I do not think this is a problem. Look at that link sent by @izo1 . Even real Macs are seeing Sealed: Broken against the filesystem.

The important thing is to see: Sealed Snapshot: Yes

What does diskutil apfs list show on your Big Sur system?

I think most of us are in the same position - we have "Snapshot Sealed: Yes", but also "Sealed: Broken" against the filesystem.

The only person reporting "Sealed: Yes" on the filesystem is @rustEswan who did their install on a real Mac. Oh, and I think @engineer.sek did too - but they've since edited out their comment, so maybe they made a mistake about that or something :)

So far as I can tell it doesn't matter, and even people with real Macs are seeing this. Like in that article that @izo1 showed us.

My guess: as long as you see "Snapshot Sealed: Yes", everything is fine, and you don't need to worry.

I asked the guy who wrote that blog post that @izo1 linked to whether it mattered if the filesystem seal was broken. His response: no, it doesn't matter:

It doesn’t matter about the volume: it’s unmounted, and therefore inaccessible. It’s the snapshot which is the active system, and all that you should worry about. So long as that’s sealed, the SSV is intact and secure.

So there we go. We still don't know why the filesystem seal shows as broken - could well be something Hackintosh-specific. But it doesn't matter.

SSV is only disabled if your snapshot seal shows as broken. But even then, I don't think it's necessarily anything to worry about. I don't think it will break the operating system. It just means you're not protected by SSV. But many of us have been running without SIP for years, and I'm pretty sure this is similar. And if SSV is off or broken, it means you have the ability to alter files on the system drive, which might potentially be useful - for example some firewall users have been doing this because Apple have blocked firewall software from limiting traffic from Apple apps, like iMessages, Maps, software updates, etc. There was talk about that in this thread a couple of weeks back. Right now the only way to get back control of your own network connection is to break SSV and manually edit an Info.plist.

I might do some testing with disabling SSV in the next week or so - for example to see what happens if you do a Big Sur update while SSV is disabled or the snapshot seal is broken.

Last edited:
I asked the guy who wrote that blog post that @izo1 linked to whether it mattered if the filesystem seal was broken. His response: no, it doesn't matter:

It doesn’t matter about the volume: it’s unmounted, and therefore inaccessible. It’s the snapshot which is the active system, and all that you should worry about. So long as that’s sealed, the SSV is intact and secure.

So there we go. We still don't know why the filesystem seal shows as broken - could well be something Hackintosh-specific. But it doesn't matter.

SSV is only disabled if your snapshot seal shows as broken. But even then, I don't think it's necessarily anything to worry about. I don't think it will break the operating system. It just means you're not protected by SSV. But many of us have been running without SIP for years, and I'm pretty sure this is similar. And if SSV is off or broken, it means you have the ability to alter files on the system drive, which might potentially be useful - for example some firewall users have been doing this because Apple have blocked firewall software from limiting traffic from Apple apps, like iMessages, Maps, software updates, etc. There was talk about that in this thread a couple of weeks back. Right now the only way to get back control of your own network connection is to break SSV and manually edit an Info.plist.

I might do some testing with disabling SSV in the next week or so - for example to see what happens if you do a Big Sur update while SSV is disabled or the snapshot seal is broken.

I wonder if this is related to this?
It seems that I am booted from a snapshot. Apple is doing some black magic here, which is above my paygrade or care anyway haha.

Btw mine shows as broken too, but it works fine. From that article it seems that it shows Broken on Intel systems and sealed on M1.

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 3.02.28 PM.png

File system .... I think that what the screen capture shows ....

Yes That's what I get

I'll get you diskutil apfs list later
thanks
Here you are
Capture d’écran 2020-12-02 à 06.54.30.png

to everyone -> Have you got the Disk Utility display ?
Capture d’écran 2020-12-02 à 06.55.23.png

We clearly see that because only the snapshot is sealed that it is the same snapshot witch is currently used, no ?

How to generate/create another snapshot ?

Here you are
View attachment 499467

to everyone -> Have you got the Disk Utility display ?
View attachment 499468
We clearly see that because only the snapshot is sealed that it is the same snapshot witch is currently used, no ?

How to generate/create another snapshot ?
Update volume : The com.apple.os.update-... volume is a snapshot (apfs snapshot) of a read-only is the update volume : this boot-system volume, took the simple title of Update, but here without mounting the snapshot at this mount point. The Update volume thus "inactive", only contains an auxiliary distribution waiting for the snapshot to be mounted. It allows faster updates in the background for example.

Last edited:
@oli.mathieu update is a little more complex in fact : i will edit my post.;)

I wonder if this is related to this?
It seems that I am booted from a snapshot. Apple is doing some black magic here, which is above my paygrade or care anyway haha.
Yeah, that's exactly what's happening - it is literally booting from the snapshot. Like that Howard guy said: It doesn’t matter about the volume: it’s unmounted, and therefore inaccessible. It’s the snapshot which is the active system, and all that you should worry about.

If you reboot into recovery and then modify files on the System volume, then reboot, nothing will have changed. You first have to re-snapshot the System volume after you've changed something, and set the new snapshot as the one that is booted from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back