Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
sudo diskutil apfs list
Same issue here on another platform X570 ( can’t verify on my Asus Prime which is not assembled yet on my case)
First install BS PB1 OC 6.0.1
Updated several times with different OC releases and last update BS 11.1with OC 0.6.4 , (csr-active-config = 00000000) :

Screenshot 2020-11-29 at 12.12.16.png

So there is a strange issue…my NVRAM is fully functional

Last edited:
OK thanks for confirming. It's weird. I just checked my Big Sur 11.1 install - which was done as an update from Catalina 10.15.7 to 11.1 - and it's the same. Broken.

This makes me wonder if every Hackintosh Big Sur will have the seal broken. But Dortania talks about it like it's a problem.

I'm asking around, maybe it depends on OpenCore config.

It probably doesn't even matter, I was just confused when I was doing the no-NVRAM testing and I saw the seal was broken; I thought it meant the install hadn't fully worked. Then I installed 100% normally, with full NVRAM the whole time, and again it was broken.

Thanks keko. I'm starting to think that every Hack has a broken seal and I guess it's just normal at the moment.

I just re-read the Dortania guide (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/extras/big-sur/#broken-seal) and I realised that actually it says to check that the Snapshot is sealed:

1606654276023.png

And we do have "Snapshot Sealed : YES". So we do check out OK according to Dortania.

I'd still like to understand why the main FS shows as Broken, which I assume must not be the case on a real Mac. But I guess it's probably not actually any problem, and that it is expected on a Hack.

Huh, someone with a sealed volume! Was that an upgrade from Catalina, or a fresh install @engineer.sek ?

Did you do the upgrade/install on your Asrock X299E, or on a different system?

Regarding your issue, I've never heard of that before. I would check the macOS logs, look for errors. You can open Terminal and run a command like:
Code:
sudo log show --start "2020-11-29 12:00:00" --style compact

Change the start date/time to an appropriate time, starting a minute or so before you tried to login and then it froze.

Or, if you have a second system available and know how to SSH in via terminal, what I would try is:
  1. Boot the hack to the login screen
  2. Then SSH into the hack from a second system
    1. You'll need to enable SSH login via System Preferences -> Sharing -> tick "Remote Login"
  3. In the SSH connection, run: sudo log stream --style compact
    1. It will now display logs continuously, which will be displaying in the Terminal of the second system, but the logs being displayed are from the main system.
  4. Now log in on the main system, triggering the freeze.
  5. On the second system, scroll up through the collected logs and see if you can spot any obvious error that could be used to diagnose the issue.
I used to use that method when I had GPU-related freezes and needed to collect logs when my system was freezing or crashing.

Huh, someone with a sealed volume! Was that an upgrade from Catalina, or a fresh install @engineer.sek ?

So I most definitely am one of those with broken NVRAM but for both attributes on my "Big Sur" volume are YES -

Sealed: YES
Snapshot Sealed: YES

Im on OC 0.6.3 and have been since install, which incidentally because of the broken NVRAM, had to be done from a real Mac - not sure if that has had an impact here?

Last edited:
Ah yes, so that's further evidence that a real Mac will have the filesystem sealed OK, but a Hackintosh will not

So I'm really interested to know how @engineer.sek did their Big Sur upgrade or install. If it was on a real Mac, that makes sense. If it was entirely on a Hack, that's the first person I've seen who has the main FS sealed when installing or upgrading on a Hack.

Ah yes, so that's further evidence that a real Mac will have the filesystem sealed OK, but a Hackintosh will not

So I'm really interested to know how @engineer.sek did their Big Sur upgrade or install. If it was on a real Mac, that makes sense. If it was entirely on a Hack, that's the first person I've seen who has the main FS sealed when installing or upgrading on a Hack.
So, I can confirm that both my X299 and cMP5,1 hacks have the same status: broken seal but the snapshot seal is okay! I wonder if this is the main reason I am asked to sign back in to my iCloud account almost all the time on my hacks...?

So, I can confirm that both my X299 and cMP5,1 hacks have the same status: broken seal but the snapshot seal is okay! I wonder if this is the main reason I am asked to sign back in to my iCloud account almost all the time on my hacks...?
Wait! Just checked my 2020 MBP 13"... It's the same... with a broken seal but the snapshot seal is okay:rolleyes:

Hi gurus,

i have little problem with clean Big Sur instalation. I'm using OC 0.6.3 with config based on @Loloflatsix gigabyte build.

With help of @TheBloke I make USB installer boot up everytime, but I have issue with installer itself. The poping up animation take forever, reaction to every click take forever and when I press the key it sometime appers twice. Some time it stuck at begining on Examining volumes...

I can remember that I have this issue before when I was instaling Mojave to this rig. But these days I probabbly found working EFI fo clover whitch fix it.

Can any one help please?

SOLUTION: Check number of cores in TSCAdjustReset.kext!!!!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    7.1 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back