Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick news : I just finished some adjustments with my ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme : for now I booted on my Mojave disk : just added SSDT-AWAC and npci=0x2000 on EFI Clover 5117. ( I still use Mojave daily)
I keep my previous SSDTs untouched
Next step install macOS Big Sur on blank SSD...

Capture d’écran 2020-11-28 à 19.21.45.pngCapture d’écran 2020-11-28 à 19.22.11.png

@oli.mathieu There's no way to update from Catalina directly to Big Sur due to the VNRAM problem (as highlighted by@TheBloke). You have to use a hack or a real Mac without the T2 chip and a SATA SSD (nvme drives WILL NOT work). I used my Opencore-hacked cMP5,1 Mac for the job. (BTW, I need to clear my cMP5,1's PRAM after the "hanging" update in case you want to make another BS SATA SSD drive.). So far, my Big Sur hack is working well. The only problem I have -- the same one in Catalina -- is getting USB or TB3 drive disconnection error messages when the hack goes to sleep. My TB3 drive will automatically reconnect upon reactivation but not USB drives. BTW, the hot-pluggable thunderbolt port is the best feature of the Asrock X299 Creator...:thumbup:
thanks

Save money and pile it for future macs

I backed the Dune Pro case back in October 2019, they still haven't shipped anything, the purpose was to stick a apple sticker on his sides and use a Noctua D15S in it. The bzzzz of my AIO liquid cooler pump is getting me crazy :p

If it will ever ship, I'll rebuild in it and sell my machine at an higher price (thanks to the mockup case plus 3x 4K Benq VA displays). With the money, I'll buy the pumped up coming Mac mini and a couple of LG IPS 4K thunderbolt displays.

I’m mainly worried about Adobe. It will take almost a year for them to get After Effects working because they suck as a company hahah

And personally I don’t rely on custom encoders like M1 has. I need pure raw processing power because if I ever use footage it’s done in AE with heavy treatments

Quick update. Just now I, for the first time, successfully completed stage 2 of the Big Sur install process on a system with reset NVRAM, using OpenCore to provide the necessary NVRAM variables from stage 1 of the install.

I still have a fair bit of testing and work to do to provide a reproducible method for other people to use, but this first success seems to prove that it should be possible.

The NVRAM keys that change between 1st and 2nd stage include references to the unique identifiers of the drive you're installing to. Therefore there can't be a generic set of keys that anyone can apply. Rather I'll need to see if I can make a simple script that you can run to generate the necessary keys for your system.

I'll hopefully update again in the 24 hours, once I know more.

Quick update. Just now I, for the first time, successfully completed stage 2 of the Big Sur install process on a system with reset NVRAM, using OpenCore to provide the necessary NVRAM variables from stage 1 of the install.

I still have a fair bit of testing and work to do to provide a reproducible method for other people to use, but this first success seems to prove that it should be possible.

The NVRAM keys that change between 1st and 2nd stage include references to the unique identifiers of the drive you're installing to. Therefore there can't be a generic set of keys that anyone can apply. Rather I'll need to see if I can make a simple script that you can run to generate the necessary keys for your system.

I'll hopefully update again in the 24 hours, once I know more.
many thanks !!

I’m mainly worried about Adobe. It will take almost a year for them to get After Effects working because they suck as a company hahah

And personally I don’t rely on custom encoders like M1 has. I need pure raw processing power because if I ever use footage it’s done in AE with heavy treatments

I bought a M1 pro to replace my 5 years old 13” pro.
I’m a programmer (mostly ios) and as I saw on andandtech’s benchs it can probably beat my 7800x in compile times :eek:

I bought a M1 pro to replace my 5 years old 13” pro.
I’m a programmer (mostly ios) and as I saw on andandtech’s benchs it can probably beat my 7800x in compile times :eek:

All Apple apps will be optimized for sure, but Adobe is on another level when it comes to optimizations: they have the worst engineers in the industry.

FCP, Logic Pro, XCode etc are all going to work well from Day 1. Maybe even Davinci Resolve. But not other applications. I'll take a look at Apple Silicon again in 1 year.

All Apple apps will be optimized for sure, but Adobe is on another level when it comes to optimizations: they have the worst engineers in the industry.

FCP, Logic Pro, XCode etc are all going to work well from Day 1. Maybe even Davinci Resolve. But not other applications. I'll take a look at Apple Silicon again in 1 year.
I completely understand what you say. I stated the same.
But Why on earth Adobe engineers are the worst? They have leading softwares that are their "only" product.:crazy:

I completely understand what you say. I stated the same.
But Why on earth Adobe engineers are the worst? They have leading softwares that are their "only" product.:crazy:

Simple answer: monopoly.

When you're the only game in town, you don't really need to work harder than anyone else. They really need to stop adding these crappy "features" in lets say Photoshop that no one really uses. They should be optimizing their software.

The fact that After Effects still doesn't take advantage of multi-core processors is insane. You have to run aerender in terminal and render out to an image sequence, or use something like BGRender/RenderGarden to max out your renders.

My main reason for getting rid of hackintosh is not the fact that I can't afford a real Mac, but the fact that I don't want to fiddle with computers all day. I only built this machine because at the time there was no Mac Pro, and now that Apple is switching processors yet again, we're stuck in limbo and it's a waiting game.

Hey guys, could anyone with an active Big Sur installation check something for me?

Is your Big Sur filesystem sealed?

You can check by opening a terminal and running: sudo diskutil apfs list

Here's an example from a fresh install I ran last night on my X299, where the seal shows that it is broken:
Screenshot 2020-11-28 at 14.57.56.png

I am quite confused about this. The screenshot above was taken on a fresh install of Big Sur onto a freshly formatted drive. I am using OpenCore 0.6.3. I installed with SIP enabled (csr-active-config = 00000000). I booted with SecureBootModel = j160, I had fully working NVRAM and the install ran perfectly.

So why is my seal broken? Is this normal?

The Dortania guide says that seal broken can happen if you use an older version of OpenCore (before 0.6.3), which I did not, or if you modify the filesystem - which I have not. This is literally a brand new fresh install.

I'm wondering if maybe I'm misunderstanding something about sealing, like maybe it's always broken unless you do a "Full Security" boot with ApECID? Otherwise I can't understand why my seal is broken on a fresh install.

I'd be grateful if someone could check their install and see if they have a sealed FS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back