Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
i will update to big sur and share the EFI
Do you upgraded to BIG SUR? Can EFI share? Thank you!
The main problem of my ASUS APEX motherboard and EFI is not solved
1) Power management is not perfect
2) Can't use Apple Bluetooth keyboard to wake up,
3) Sometimes the Bluetooth keyboard loses connection after restarting and waking up

Hi, while installing Big Sur I am facing a reboot loop issue. Is there any way to solve other than, install Big Sur on another machine, then transfer the drive? I am using the OpenCore 0.6.3.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 53
@shutterbug168
I need a quick recap about Asrock X299 Creator we both have
Did you manage to :
- have NVRAM working ? witch SSDT do you use to archive that?
- directly Update from Catalina to Big Bur on internal SSD or Nvme ?
Thanks

Last edited:
Is there any way to solve other than, install Big Sur on another machine, then transfer the drive? I am using the OpenCore 0.6.3.
If the reboot loop follows the following pattern, then it is the known issue caused by broken NVRAM on certain X299 boards:

1. You start Big Sur install, and it proceeds until "12 minutes left"
  2. It reboots
  3. A progress bar briefly appears, but then immediately disappears, and the system then reboots
  4. If you are booting in verbose mode and are able to see the messages before reboot, you will see lines saying "device is write locked"
  5. Further reboots will repeat steps 3-4 infinitely
If this is the case, then yes the only current working solution is to install Big Sur on another Hack - one that has working NVRAM - or a real Mac, and then transfer the SSD/NVMe to the X299 machine.

There is no problem running Big Sur on all X299 Hacks, once it is fully installed. But currently there is an issue actually performing the install or update on certain X299 motherboards.

Currently I am working on a method that might allow install on X299 boards with broken NVRAM. I'll be reporting back on that later today, I hope.

Currently I am working on a method that might allow install on X299 boards with broken NVRAM. I'll be reporting back on that later today, I hope.
Eager to know :thumbup:

Last edited:
Ok just moved to 11.1 Public Beta officially on the main Hack/machine. So far it's good. Was a clean easy update (4 reboots) from Catalina 10.15.7 > 11.0.1 Retail > 11.1 PB.

I know I broke my promise of jumping on a macOS update too early, but couldn't help myself since my MacBook Pro is already on Big Sur anyway.

Now the debate is if I should get a 6900XT (when/if there will ever be stock in December's launch) + a EKWB Waterblock and sell the Radeon VII...but I think the ARM Macs are obviously here to stay and I want to step away from Hackintoshing in general, but the only one worth getting for me is the 2020 iMac, but the 5700XT needs to be updated to 6000 series. Decisions decisions. Maybe it's worth hanging on the Hack until later next year for any powerful ARM Macs. The 13" MacBook is compelling but not for me, I need 1) Raw CPU power 2) Raw GPU power. The optimized H264/H265 stuff doesn't help me at all except for transcoding once in a while, I'm mostly in the Adobe suite on the design/motion graphics side and use hundreds of plugins.
Save money and pile it for future macs

I backed the Dune Pro case back in October 2019, they still haven't shipped anything, the purpose was to stick a apple sticker on his sides and use a Noctua D15S in it. The bzzzz of my AIO liquid cooler pump is getting me crazy :p

If it will ever ship, I'll rebuild in it and sell my machine at an higher price (thanks to the mockup case plus 3x 4K Benq VA displays). With the money, I'll buy the pumped up coming Mac mini and a couple of LG IPS 4K thunderbolt displays.

Last edited:
@shutterbug168
I need a quick recap about Asrock X299 Creator we both have
Did you manage to :
- have NVRAM working ? witch SSDT do you use to archive that?
- directly Update from Catalina to Big Bur on internal SSD or Nvme ?
Thanks
FYI I failed to directly Update from Catalina to Big Bur on internal SSD

If the reboot loop follows the following pattern, then it is the known issue caused by broken NVRAM on certain X299 boards:

1. You start Big Sur install, and it proceeds until "12 minutes left"
  2. It reboots
  3. A progress bar briefly appears, but then immediately disappears, and the system then reboots
  4. If you are booting in verbose mode and are able to see the messages before reboot, you will see lines saying "device is write locked"
  5. Further reboots will repeat steps 3-4 infinitely
If this is the case, then yes the only current working solution is to install Big Sur on another Hack - one that has working NVRAM - or a real Mac, and then transfer the SSD/NVMe to the X299 machine.

There is no problem running Big Sur on all X299 Hacks, once it is fully installed. But currently there is an issue actually performing the install or update on certain X299 motherboards.

Thanks for the reply, I am facing the same thing.

FYI I failed to directly Update from Catalina to Big Bur on internal SSD
@oli.mathieu There's no way to update from Catalina directly to Big Sur due to the VNRAM problem (as highlighted by@TheBloke). You have to use a hack or a real Mac without the T2 chip and a SATA SSD (nvme drives WILL NOT work). I used my Opencore-hacked cMP5,1 Mac for the job. (BTW, I need to clear my cMP5,1's PRAM after the "hanging" update in case you want to make another BS SATA SSD drive.). So far, my Big Sur hack is working well. The only problem I have -- the same one in Catalina -- is getting USB or TB3 drive disconnection error messages when the hack goes to sleep. My TB3 drive will automatically reconnect upon reactivation but not USB drives. BTW, the hot-pluggable thunderbolt port is the best feature of the Asrock X299 Creator...:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back