Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange - that's what I thought too...

Anyway I was getting confused about booting off my old backup EFI, I wasn't, motherboard had switched to default booting from my Big Sur disk which I'd forgotten so actually removing the Device properties has fixed it and everything works fine again.

I'll try again tomorrow adding my device properties back in one by one until it fails - potentially changing device names upset WEG or NVMefix or something - not to worry, I'll work it out and report back - cheers

If you upload your EFI with the device properties entered, i could have a look.

or a screenshot

If you upload your EFI with the device properties entered, i could have a look.

or a screenshot
This is my first attempt at adapting these and I was thinking it was just cosmetic so go easy on me if its all over the place... ;)

Thanks!

(Serial and UUID cleaned etc)

Attachments

• backup.plist
    30.7 KB · Views: 58
Do you have a Working OC EFI for Catalina and big sure you could share with me? I've been using the one in the (with updated kext) op (that works fine with a little tweaking/updating) but I'm trying to update to the latest 0.6.3 and I can boot all but my clover EFI works flawlessly (minus the downsides clover bring). I have the same MB X299X GB 10G with the 5700XT. I tried your TheBloke.OpenCore.0.6.3-DEBUG.EFI.17112020, but I can't get the Big Sur install screen. It loads everything up the black screen then shut down. I'm just trying to migrate clover to OC on Catalina first, then move to getting a fully functional Big Sur... I also have your been using your bios version FC3macOSAuto. Im not a newbie at this at all its' just OC the new to me and I've stayed up the last 3 days until 5am just to get OC to work with the least 0.6.3.
Thanks in advanced bro for any help, I appreciate it fr.

@rustEswan It really depends on what you are injecting. Yes, most of the time you inject purely cosmetic stuff. But you can also inject properties that alter stuff in a more serious way. For example you can attach informations to your GPU that will let macOS use a different framebuffer:

1606364418467.png

Do you have a Working OC EFI for Catalina and big sure you could share with me? I've been using the one in the (with updated kext) op (that works fine with a little tweaking/updating) but I'm trying to update to the latest 0.6.3 and I can boot all but my clover EFI works flawlessly (minus the downsides clover bring). I have the same MB X299X GB 10G with the 5700XT. I tried your TheBloke.OpenCore.0.6.3-DEBUG.EFI.17112020, but I can't get the Big Sur install screen. It loads everything up the black screen then shut down. I'm just trying to migrate clover to OC on Catalina first, then move to getting a fully functional Big Sur... I also have your been using your bios version FC3macOSAuto. Im not a newbie at this at all its' just OC the new to me and I've stayed up the last 3 days until 5am just to get OC to work with the least 0.6.3.
Thanks in advanced bro for any help, I appreciate it fr.
Jeez man, two PMs, and the same post in two threads? I've posted here every day for weeks, you don't need to scream to get a reply :p

Anyway, obviously the EFI I posted works fine for me. However you have an X5700. So try adding boot arg agdpmod=pikera

Also, I uploaded a more recent EFI than that - there's one dated 23rd November, in this thread. It's 99% identical, but the 23/11/20 EFI is the one I used to update to Big Sur, so I'd use that one to be safe. I've re-attached it here.

This EFI has AirportItlwm disabled, as the kext included is still for Catalina. That will need to be updated to the BigSur version if you plan to enable AirportItlwm. But I don't recommend enabling it for install/update, only once the Big Sur install is known to be working fine.

Attachments

• TheBloke.OpenCore.0.6.3-DEBUG.EFI.23112020.zip
    73.7 MB · Views: 186
Last edited:
@rustEswan It really depends on what you are injecting. Yes, most of the time you inject purely cosmetic stuff. But you can also inject properties that alter stuff in a more serious way. For example you can attach informations to your GPU that will let macOS use a different framebuffer:
And is it correct to say that cosmetic stuff really just means About This Mac, About This Mac -> PCI, etc? There's no difference noticeable beyond updating what About This Mac says?

You guys mentioned that there can be practical difference for example with GPU, eg setting a Framebuffer.

I think I've noticed another GPU-related difference, which shows up simply from using an SSDT to give a name to my GPU - rather than letting macOS / WhateverGreen auto detect it. I've noticed three interesting effects:
  1. About This Mac main screen shows the GPU name instantly, instead of there being a slight delay (0.5 - 1 second) before the name appears.
  2. About This Mac -> Graphics shows Metal: "Supported", whereas without SSDT it says "Supported, Metal GPU GPUFamily macOS 2".
  3. I seem to get slightly higher GeekBench scores, eg 62500 instead of 60000 in GeekBench 5.2.5. However, I have not noticed any difference in any other benchmarks.
Number 3 is obviously the most interesting difference.

I'm not currently using an SSDT or DeviceProperties for the GPU, because I'm not exactly sure what is meant to go in there besides the _DSM. The SSDT I inherited for my motherboard (created by @dolgarrenan) is for the X5700 GPU (I have a Vega 64 installed at the moment), and it has a whole bunch of stuff in there I don't really understand, like this section below for example:
1606408482451.png

I haven't spent any time to research this yet, to see what all this stuff means and if it's important. If you or anyone here has any idea, I'd be very interested to learn!

Last edited:
@Junologue @oli.mathieu @shutterbug168 you guys with RX 5000 series cards, can confirm they can output multimonitor and have working DRMs (Netflix / Prime)? Do you use WEG with them? Anyone has any kind of info about Radeon Pro W5500? I'm trying to find the most compatible card out there (I don't need too much power). Originally I bought my actual Radeon VII because it was the closest to Radeon Pro Vega II MPX module, but now I have broken DRMs (with and without WEG and shikigva=128) and sometimes one of my screens (I got 3 x 4Ks via 3 x DisplaPorts) briefly goes black from time to time. In windows this doesn't occur, so I don't think it's cable or display itself damaged.
Hello
I have only One 4k Display, No WEG, No boot argument,
I only have AmazonPrime : it works ;) always on "Brave"and most of the time on Safari

Hi, it seems this thread is growing quietly everyday : more than 100 pages, more than 1000 posts and more than 61k views : thanks for your contributions , of course we are moving forward !

:thumbup:

I will update my Github in the next days and also with AMD support.

Hey @TheBloke!

Can you elaborate on a few settings that differ from the Dortania guide?
EnableSafeModeSlide (You: FALSE, Dortania: TRUE, Github doc: "Patch the bootloader to enable KASLR in safe mode.") I assume you don't have Kernel Panics on boot?
ProtectMemoryRegions (You: TRUE, Dortania: FALSE, Github doc: "Protect memory regions from incorrect access. Only needed by very old firmwares.") Why do you need it?
ProtectUefiServices (You: FALSE, Dortania: TRUE, Dortania doc: "Protects UEFI services from being overridden by the firmware, mainly relevant for VMs, 300 series and newer systems like Ice Lake and Comet Lake.") Why don't you need it?
ProvideCustomSlide (You: FALSE, Dortania: TRUE, Dortania doc: "This makes sure the kernel will only choose good regions and avoid those that may result in boot failures. It's still random but omits those bad regions in its randomization") Why don't you need it?

ExtendBTFeatureFlags (You: TRUE, Dortania: FALSE, OC doc: "Set FeatureFlags to 0x0F for full functionality of Bluetooth, including Continuity" ) Why do you need this?
PanicNoKextDump (You: FALSE, Dortania: TRUE, Dortania doc: "Allows for reading kernel panics logs when kernel panics occur") Why don't you need it?

And you're using a lot of ACPI patches:
SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-DTGP.aml: "Required for DSDT patching"
SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-ALS0.aml: I thought this is for Laptops only?
SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-PC00-PLUG.aml: Dortania doc:"The purpose of SSDT-PLUG is to allow the kernel's XCPM(XNU's CPU Power Management) to manage our CPU's power management" Same as OC ACPI
SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-PC00-EC-USBX.aml: "Hides the firmware embedded controller and fixes some USB problems" Do you have an EC in your firmware? I haven't found PNP0C09 in my System DSDT. USBX is necessary thou.
SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-PC00-RTC0.aml: Dortania doc: "The purpose of SSDT-AWAC/RTC0 is to fix the system clocks found on newer hardware". Why is your version better than the OC ACPI Sample/SSDT-RTC0-RANGE.aml?
SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-Vega64.aml: It's based on works from KGP but modified. You removed the overclocking, right? What else does it do? I do understand the naming, but not the other stuff. Do you have any glitches without it?
SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-PC00-NVMeSSD.aml: Same thing here. You added the third controller of the board. But what does it do? Wha't not working without it? Cosmetic?
SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-PC00-ARPT-INTEL-NODSM.aml: Rename _SB_.PC00.RP01.PXSX->ARPT, right? Why don't you use the config.plist patch section? Cosmetic?
SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-PC00-ARPT-BRCM.aml: Cosmetic?
SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-PC00-ASMEDIA-SATA.aml: Cosmetic?
SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-PC00-HDEF.aml: _SB_.PC00.CAVS->HDEF and naming right?
SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-PC00-PMCR.aml: Dortania doc: "This SSDT is required for all "true" 300 series motherboards(Z370 is excluded), it specifically brings back NVRAM support and requires very little configuration for the end user." NVRAM works fine for me without the patch. Does it not work for you?
SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-PC00-SBUS-NEW.aml: Dortania doc: "AppleSMBusController: Aids with correct temperature, fan, voltage, ICH, etc readings. AppleSMBusPCI: Same idea as AppleSMBusController except for low bandwidth PCI devices. Memory Reporting: Aids in proper memory reporting and can aid in getting better kernel panic details if memory related." What's the benefit of this patch?
SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-PC00-THUNDERBOLT.aml: Necessary for TB3 plug and play, right?
SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-PC00-X550T-NODSM.aml: cosmetic?
SSDT-X299X-DESIGNARE10G-PC00-XHC.aml: It's based on works from KGP but modified. You added he third controller, right? What else does it do? I do understand the naming, but not the other stuff. Do you have any glitches without it?

Have you tried to remove a few of you patches and check whether you system sit still running flawlessly? I guess a few things might not be necessary.

Thank you for your help!

Cheers,
Dogman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back