Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to add this but whenever I run a command it's not returning anything. Am I missing something?

For example: in the guide: path/to/dmidecode -t memory | grep " Data Width:"
so i'm running: /Users/user123/Downloads/dmidecode -t memory | grep " Total Width:"
but it returns nothing?
grep commqnd didn’t work for me either, i did run it without it and then just cmd+f to find the string i was looking for.

You guys don't need to run commands with dmidecode, just run it and all the info you need are at the end of the text it produces, bank by bank dimm by dimm. I literally spent 2 minutes to do this.
Schermata 2020-11-25 alle 22.03.45.png

@Junologue @oli.mathieu @shutterbug168 you guys with RX 5000 series cards, can confirm they can output multimonitor and have working DRMs (Netflix / Prime)? Do you use WEG with them? Anyone has any kind of info about Radeon Pro W5500? I'm trying to find the most compatible card out there (I don't need too much power). Originally I bought my actual Radeon VII because it was the closest to Radeon Pro Vega II MPX module, but now I have broken DRMs (with and without WEG and shikigva=128) and sometimes one of my screens (I got 3 x 4Ks via 3 x DisplaPorts) briefly goes black from time to time. In windows this doesn't occur, so I don't think it's cable or display itself damaged.

You guys don't need to run commands with dmidecode, just run it and all the info you need are at the end of the text it produces, bank by bank dimm by dimm. I literally spent 2 minutes to do this.
View attachment 498357
@Junologue @oli.mathieu @shutterbug168 you guys with RX 5000 series cards, can confirm they can output multimonitor and have working DRMs (Netflix / Prime)? Do you use WEG with them? Anyone has any kind of info about Radeon Pro W5500? I'm trying to find the most compatible card out there (I don't need too much power). Originally I bought my actual Radeon VII because it was the closest to Radeon Pro Vega II MPX module, but now I have broken DRMs (with and without WEG and shikigva=128) and sometimes one of my screens (I got 3 x 4Ks via 3 x DisplaPorts) briefly goes black from time to time. In windows this doesn't occur, so I don't think it's cable or display itself damaged.

How do you do this for 128GB?

yes, my 'Asrock Radeon RX 5700 Challenger' (flashed vbios to 'RX 5700 XT Challenger')
works just fine with DRMs. Altough somewhere on the way from bigsur beta 8 to 10.0.1, a bug occured with regular videos in safari. fullscreen gives a small letterbox screen etc. But that is likely just a big sur bug.

yes, my 'Asrock Radeon RX 5700 Challenger' (flashed vbios to 'RX 5700 XT Challenger')
works just fine with DRMs. Altough somewhere on the way from bigsur beta 8 to 10.0.1, a bug occured with regular videos in safari. fullscreen gives a small letterbox screen etc. But that is likely just a big sur bug.
We also share the same mobo :p

do you use WEG | agdpmod=pikera | shikigva=128 in any kind of combination? multi monitor? DP or HDMI?

I have a question regarding adding device properties in OC - as @Ellybz described in this post.

Is this truely just cosmestic or can it actually impact the operational function of Big Sur?

The reason I ask is that I just added some device properties to tidy up my system profiler and after reboot Big Sur fails to boot again. The thing is, it could just be coincidence that I change the device properties...

I have been having maybe every 5th or 6th boot fail, but a reboot has always sorted it.

This time im getting a lot of errors "AppleKeyStore: operation failed/unexpected session".

And then apfs_vsop events - much like when the installer was failing, which we now think is due to NVRAM not working correctly (it looks like some UEFI firmwares implement a white-listing method for preventing all but certain NVRAM variables to write) so im wondering if this failure to boot is actually related to the NVRAM issue rather than me fiddling with device properties?

@TheBloke - any joy with your NVRAM variable spoofing tests?

Edit: I should add - I have booted from a backup EFI made before the device properties changes and it is still failing with the same errors :)

Last edited:
We also share the same mobo :p

do you use WEG | agdpmod=pikera | shikigva=128 in any kind of combination? multi monitor? DP or HDMI?
Yup, i assisted you when going from clover to OC, if i don’t remember it wrong =)

No No & No :) Main Display/DP, Projector/HDMI

I have a question regarding adding device properties in OC - as @Ellybz described in this post.

Is this truely just cosmestic or can it actually impact the operational function of Big Sur?

The reason I ask is that I just added some device properties to tidy up my system profiler and after reboot Big Sur fails to boot again. The thing is, it could just be coincidence that I change the device properties...

I have been having maybe every 5th or 6th boot fail, but a reboot has always sorted it.

This time im getting a lot of errors "AppleKeyStore: operation failed/unexpected session".

And then apfs_vsop events - much like when the installer was failing, which we now think is due to NVRAM not working correctly (it looks like some UEFI firmwares implement a white-listing method for preventing all but certain NVRAM variables to write) so im wondering if this failure to boot is actually related to the NVRAM issue rather than me fiddling with device properties?

@TheBloke - any joy with your NVRAM variable spoofing tests?

Edit: I should add - I have booted from a backup EFI made before the device properties changes and it is still failing with the same errors :)

mostly cosmetical, apart from audio id’s and gpu powersettings such as fan curves, overclock etc

mostly cosmetical, apart from audio id’s and gpu powersettings such as fan curves, overclock etc
Strange - that's what I thought too...

Anyway I was getting confused about booting off my old backup EFI, I wasn't, motherboard had switched to default booting from my Big Sur disk which I'd forgotten so actually removing the Device properties has fixed it and everything works fine again.

I'll try again tomorrow adding my device properties back in one by one until it fails - potentially changing device names upset WEG or NVMefix or something - not to worry, I'll work it out and report back - cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back