Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not heard of this. I've done a Catalina -> Big Sur update on two SATA3 SSDs now and it worked fine. I've not actually install Big Sur on NVMe yet, as I'm saving that for when I'm upgrading to Big Sur for good.

Does the need for that kext vary by motherboard maybe?

Right now I'm doing a fresh install of Big Sur - first one I've done, as the other two were updates - on a third SATA3 SSD, so I'll see if that's any different. But so far it seems to be running OK.
Okay, I will redo the install with a newer MacBook Pro and let it run all the way this time... I am using a m.2 vnme drive with a USB adapter. Thanks again!

Ah.. then you may then have the issue that @amitbapat just described.

Do you have a SATA SSD you could use via USB?
Oh, good to know! I do have an old SATA SSD... that I will just plug it into the SATA port. Fingers crossed!

Okay, I will redo the install with a newer MacBook Pro and let it run all the way this time... I am using a m.2 vnme drive with a USB adapter. Thanks again!

Does your real Mac have a T2 chip? You might need to set "allow booting from external media" in the startup security utility in order to allow it to reboot from there during installation.

Does your real Mac have a T2 chip? You might need to set "allow booting from external media" in the startup security utility in order to allow it to reboot from there during installation.
This saga is finally coming to end... but with one more twist! I had to rely on my cMP5,1 to run the installer because of the SATA SSD (as reminded by @TheBloke). After I got the SSD upgraded and rebooted on my X299, I got this panic:mad::mad:... Before I gave up, I thought I should try using my original EFI (prepared according to the Dortania guide) instead of the one provided by @Loloflatsix. And it worked! I am now typing on Big Sur... The last thing to do is to copy this BS install to the faster nvme drive on my X299 mobo. Thanks so much for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_5605.jpg
    IMG_5605.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
Great! Glad to hear you're on BS now.

This saga is finally coming to end... but with one more twist! I had to rely on my cMP5,1 to run the installer because of the SATA SSD (as reminded by @TheBloke). After I got the SSD upgraded and rebooted on my X299, I got this panic:mad::mad:... Before I gave up, I thought I should try using my original EFI (prepared according to the Dortania guide) instead of the one provided by @Loloflatsix. And it worked! I am now typing on Big Sur... The last thing to do is to copy this BS install to the faster nvme drive on my X299 mobo. Thanks so much for your help!
Good !
This may help Asrock X299 Creator owners.
( My EFI was on my Asrock X299 Steel Legend sorry if it’s wrong for Creator)

Last edited:
Good !
This may help Asrock X299 Creator owners.
( My EFI was on my Asrock X299 Steel Legend sorry if it’s wrong for Creator)
And here's my EFI... The best thing about the Asrock X299 Creator is that its built-in Thunderbolt ports are hot pluggable!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    57.6 MB · Views: 98
And here's my EFI... The best thing about the Asrock X299 Creator is that its built-in Thunderbolt ports are hot pluggable!
Yes I already tested this very good motherboard see here : #63 and #67 :thumbup:

I will add your EFI on ressources

And the 10G ethernet port !! :thumbup:
And Intel Wifi card
And Full Two 16x PCIe, One 8x PCIe
And One 8x PCIe shared with Two M.2
And 10 SATA ports

Pretty Solid specs for Video Post-production :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back