Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update on progress with the MSI X299 PRO - still not been able to progress passed the first reboot during installation.

Since I first posted my experiences with trying to get Big Sur to install on this setup in post #774 I have attempted a number of changes without success:

• I have confirmed Config MSR unlock is enabled using the "VerifyMsrE2.efi" tool.
  • Tried fully updated latest OC 0.6.4 and updated kexts - no difference
  • Tried "iMacPro1,1" and "MacPro7,1" both with and without WEG - "MacPro7,1" I can't get to boot at all
  • Secureboot Disabled - no difference
  • Using the Catalina AHCI kext - both with and without, no difference
  • found another thread that suggested to remove boot-args "alcid=1" and "npci=0x2000" - no difference to the installer progress, still appears to crash out at 12 minutes and then fails to boot in the loop as before
  • I did suspect SATA and so unplugged SATA drives and just tried to install direct to NVMe - no difference
  • Also tried with and without NVMEfix.kext - no difference
To recap - I can boot the USB installer but it appears to crash at 12 minutes (just after the installer log indicates its extracting installer files) and reboots. Then when picking the Big Sur Installer Volume it crashes and reboots again after showing the apple logo progress bar for a moment.

With "-v" booot-arg I was able to capture a quick photo of the screen on the first and second reboots - I have attached those to this post but not sure they direct us towards anything I haven't tried already.

Would still appreciate if someone with successful experience with X299 and getting Big Sur to run could take a look at my config.plist/EFI and make sure I'm not missing anything obvious. Otherwise suggestions on how to debug further would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all

Attachments

• 2nd reboot and loop after aple logo progress.JPG
    2nd reboot and loop after aple logo progress.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 58
  • First reboot 12 minutes progress.JPG
    First reboot 12 minutes progress.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 45
Update on progress with the MSI X299 PRO - still not been able to progress passed the first reboot during installation.

Since I first posted my experiences with trying to get Big Sur to install on this setup in post #774 I have attempted a number of changes without success:

• I have confirmed Config MSR unlock is enabled using the "VerifyMsrE2.efi" tool.
  • Tried fully updated latest OC 0.6.4 and updated kexts - no difference
  • Tried "iMacPro1,1" and "MacPro7,1" both with and without WEG - "MacPro7,1" I can't get to boot at all
  • Secureboot Disabled - no difference
  • Using the Catalina AHCI kext - both with and without, no difference
  • found another thread that suggested to remove boot-args "alcid=1" and "npci=0x2000" - no difference to the installer progress, still appears to crash out at 12 minutes and then fails to boot in the loop as before
  • I did suspect SATA and so unplugged SATA drives and just tried to install direct to NVMe - no difference
  • Also tried with and without NVMEfix.kext - no difference
To recap - I can boot the USB installer but it appears to crash at 12 minutes (just after the installer log indicates its extracting installer files) and reboots. Then when picking the Big Sur Installer Volume it crashes and reboots again after showing the apple logo progress bar for a moment.

With "-v" booot-arg I was able to capture a quick photo of the screen on the first and second reboots - I have attached those to this post but not sure they direct us towards anything I haven't tried already.

Would still appreciate if someone with successful experience with X299 and getting Big Sur to run could take a look at my config.plist/EFI and make sure I'm not missing anything obvious. Otherwise suggestions on how to debug further would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all

So I checked your EFi and your config.plist there are a few lines to change ( also according you can disable Cfglock, Above 4G encoding is enabled, and CSM is disabled on Msi bios ) :

Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 00.17.22.png

Check also with EFI posted above by @djlild7hina

Keep us posted

;)

Last edited:
So I checked your EFi and your config.plist there are a few lines to change ( also according you can disable Cfglock, Above 4G encoding is enabled, and CSM is disabled on Msi bios ) :

View attachment 497595

Keep us posted

;)

Note my EFI was for ASUS motherboards so the options may be different than MSI. ;)
Not sure if MSI boards have MSR lock or RTC patch is needed or not.

Note my EFI was for ASUS motherboards so the options may be different than MSI. ;)
Not sure if MSI boards have MSR lock or RTC patch is needed or not.
The MSR lock can be disabled in bios, I think by default it has an AWAC device and an RTC device (with incorrect ranges specified like ASUS).

from my limited ACPI experience, it appears there’s a property defined in DSDT named STAS and the AWAC and RTC both reference it - “if STAS =“ and they are opposites so it appears that a simple SSDT to change the value of the STAS property switches between the AWAC and RTC unless I’ve got my understanding totally mixed up...

because of that I’ve gone for disabling RTC and creating a new RTC0 with the correct ranges specified.
It checks out in IOregexlporer and shows only one RTC device (RTC0) with the matching correct ranges.

I can share the original DSDT dump if anyone wanted to check it out?

Last edited:
Try this EFI and update to latest BIOS. Make sure MSR lock is disabled, Above 4G encoding is enabled, and CSM is disabled.
I feel completely speechless....I have updated BIOS then booted successfully and installed BS. Also everything is working Ethernet, Bluetooth, Sound , WiFi , FaceTime and iMessage

Many many thanks

I feel completely speechless....I have updated BIOS then booted successfully and installed BS. Also everything is working Ethernet, Bluetooth, Sound , WiFi , FaceTime and iMessage

Many many thanks

Glad it worked out for you! I enabled the aquantia 10g patch (needed for Big Sur) since the encore and omega have the same aqc107.
Make sure you map your usb ports

@Shlonakzeen I would generate new smbios info (smuuid, serial) since the efi you gave me had it included

Keep us posted

;)

Thanks again for taking the time to take a look - unfortunately double checking and making those changes hasn't made any difference.

I have read one other thread elsewhere with someone having similar issue and they removed the GPU and used integrated graphics for the install (I think this was the same issue but on Z390 perhaps) - obviously not an option on X299 and I don't have another GPU here to test with - do you know of a way I could debug that further, any way to view more detailed logs of what point its failing?

Thanks again for taking the time to take a look - unfortunately double checking and making those changes hasn't made any difference.

I have read one other thread elsewhere with someone having similar issue and they removed the GPU and used integrated graphics for the install (I think this was the same issue but on Z390 perhaps) - obviously not an option on X299 and I don't have another GPU here to test with - do you know of a way I could debug that further, any way to view more detailed logs of what point its failing?
Hello I have the exact same issue
And I tried the install from USB with 3 GPUs : RX 5700 XT, RX 5600 XT and Nvidia GT710
It still a mystery

Possible solutions for those who are stuck installing macOS Big Sur :

1.1/ Update to latest bios : look on the website of your motherboard brand

1.2/ Check carefully your bios settings : see here #1

2.1/ EFI file : adopt an EFI shared on thread close to your hardware

2.2 / EFI/OC/ACPI and EFI/OC/Kexts : just put the minimum requiried : see on the picture bellow

NB : if you have a working Mojave or Catalina installation : generate your DSDT.aml, check about RTC / RTC0 and AWAC
check according with your CPU Sylake X / Cascade Lake X on Dartonia's Open Core Install Guide : Dartonia’s Open Core Install Guide

3.1/ Config.plist : when your are ready with your own EFI : compare side by side with origin and yours with Xcode

3.2 / Config.plist : check according with your CPU Sylake X / Cascade Lake X on Dartonia's Open Core Install Guide : Dartonia’s Open Core Install Guide

4.1 / Check your hardware : disconnect all unnecessary SSDs or PCIes

4.2 / GPU : RX560, RX570, RX580 are working natively , Nvidia GeForce GT710 / GT730 are fully supported, AMD RDNA1 RX5000 series are also working , AMD VEGA GPUs too.

5.1 / Installation process : see here #65 and here #647

Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 09.59.23.png
Good luck !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back