Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running a really stable Open Core Catalina (macOS 10.15.6) system on a X299 Sage 10G motherboard. Looking at Big Sur, is it possible to do a direct update with the "Install macOS Big Sur"from within my current installation without creating an installation USB stick, etc for Big Sur? The main page on tonymacx86 says this is possible, but I was not sure if this was the case with Open Core on the X299.

You'll need to update OpenCore depending on what version you're on and also add SSDT-RTC0 or SSDT-RTC0-NOAWAC depending on your BIOS. Of course make a backup before updating

I am running a really stable Open Core Catalina (macOS 10.15.6) system on a X299 Sage 10G motherboard. Looking at Big Sur, is it possible to do a direct update with the "Install macOS Big Sur"from within my current installation without creating an installation USB stick, etc for Big Sur? The main page on tonymacx86 says this is possible, but I was not sure if this was the case with Open Core on the X299.

At this point would highly recommend against it - I've got a fully working stable Catalina install, sleep, wake, USB maps, custom SSDT's that *should* work in Big Sur, inc. properly mapped RTC ranges and EC SSDT's and it didn't work for me - had to restore Catalina from a backup and no matter what I do I haven't been able to get beyond the first reboot of a Big Sur install yet. Either from my Catalina install or fresh from USB installer. And, have yet to make any headway in understanding why.

I think Im going to start a separate thread about it and revert back here once its worked out and I've got a fully functioning EFI that works with Big Sur.

You'll need to update OpenCore depending on what version you're on and also add SSDT-RTC0 or SSDT-RTC0-NOAWAC depending on your BIOS. Of course make a backup before updating
OK, already backed up. My BIOS is 3203. I already have SSDT-RTCO.aml, but I do not see SSDT-RTC0-NOAWAC in my EFI. Is it also going to be in the ACPI folder? Do I need SSDT-RTC0-NOAWAC? Where do I get it?

if when I run "nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:eek:pencore-version" in terminal, the response I get is: "REL-059-2020-06-01"

Is that telling me I have version 0.5.9? I am sorry to have to ask, but what is the procedure for updating OC? (My first OpenCore install was done using a Base EFI that you guys had made, so I never did a conventional installation if there is such a thing).

At this point would highly recommend against it - I've got a fully working stable Catalina install, sleep, wake, USB maps, custom SSDT's that *should* work in Big Sur, inc. properly mapped RTC ranges and EC SSDT's and it didn't work for me - had to restore Catalina from a backup and no matter what I do I haven't been able to get beyond the first reboot of a Big Sur install yet. Either from my Catalina install or fresh from USB installer. And, have yet to make any headway in understanding why.

I think Im going to start a separate thread about it and revert back here once its worked out and I've got a fully functioning EFI that works with Big Sur.
Thanks for the warning about your experiences!

OK, already backed up. My BIOS is 3203. I already have SSDT-RTCO.aml, but I do not see SSDT-RTC0-NOAWAC in my EFI. Is it also going to be in the ACPI folder? Do I need SSDT-RTC0-NOAWAC? Where do I get it?

if when I run "nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:eek:pencore-version" in terminal, the response I get is: "REL-059-2020-06-01"

Is that telling me I have version 0.5.9? I am sorry to have to ask, but what is the procedure for updating OC?

I believe Big sur support only started at version 0.6.1 or something. I typically just download the latest OpenCore release and make a new plist from the sample since things tend to change a lot.
Depending on what BIOS version you are it's SSDT-RTC0 or SSDT-RTC0-NOAWAC. I believe 3203 is the newest so you'll just need SSDT-RTC0.

And yes I tested Big Sur on the Sage/10G (my old board) and it works fine.

Last edited:
I finally got around to try another Big Sur install onto a newly formatted APFS nvme drive... but I am still stuck at the endless rebooting with this error message: "device is write lock":( Other people have commented that "stuck" after this message is normal, but I am not stuck but kept rebooting without making any progress on the status bar -- don't think I truly finish the second reboot... Anyone else experiences the same problem? Thanks!
Yess I have the same trouble
I didn't succeed to pass it :banghead:

Everyone is free to install or update or NOT to do !

I (we) never push anyone to adopt it.

This post is dedicated to share our experinece with macOS Big Sur and it is a contributive thread.

I did install with success on separate SSDs macOS Big Sur on :
- Four different brands of X299 mobos
- on Amd X570 Build
- on Asus H87 build with NVIDIA GeForce GT 710( on HDD)
Never my H87 was so fast before Big Sur….

Big Sur boots quickly and works fine on all those systems.

All the new features are nice and modern.

Should I adopt Big Sur for my main system: maybe but everyone is free.

Good evening ...

Everyone is free to install or update or NOT to do !

I (we) never push anyone to adopt it.

This post is dedicated to share our experinece with macOS Big Sur and it is a contributive thread.

I did install with success on separate SSDs macOS Big Sur on :
- Four different brands of X299 mobos
- on Amd X570 Build
- on Asus H87 build with NVIDIA GeForce GT 710( on HDD)
Never my H87 was so fast before Big Sur….

Big Sur boots quickly and works fine on all those systems.

All the new features are nice and modern.

Should I adopt Big Sur for my main system: maybe but everyone is free.

Good evening ...

Of course! It wasn’t meant to discourage trying :)

just that maybe it’s best to try with a separate USB installer first ;)

once I make some progress I will of course share and contribute more to the thread with actual success (hopefully).

@djlild7hina many thanks I tried SetupVirtualMap=false , and it still stuck at 14 min for hours
Please see attached EFI and log text
I have update BIOS but then I have to to revert back to 802 as I couldn't boot from USB.
BIOS setting same as KGP for ASUS X299 motherboards

Many thanks for your kind efforts

Try this EFI and update to latest BIOS. Make sure MSR lock is disabled, Above 4G encoding is enabled, and CSM is disabled.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 98
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back