Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I succeeded to install BS (20B29). All work fine but sometimes I have a reboot reported as a problem with GFX0 kext. That happened with Catalina too and a Google search allowed me to discover that this seems to be an issue related to Radeon VII audio. Studying the KGP posts and his guide about "how to create or modify a simple System SSDT.aml by means of DSDT and IOREG ACPI information" I concluded that it is necessary - for me but maybe for other people - to start again from ACPI properties to correctly implement every device (no matter if onboard or PCI) on every mobo. Taking account of the fact that he worked with Clover, I noticed that he used a lot of SSDT, one for each device and, in particular, one for the VII (there is two versions of VII one ...).
At the moment, I'm not able to compile myself an SSDT but I'm studying to do that. So far, I gathered the following related materials and sources:
1. latest version of UEFI specifications
2. Introduction to I/O kit fundamentals
3. the earlier mentioned KGP guide.
Has someone tried to go deeper into this matter?
Maybe we can start to co-operate to better understand how to let function our hacks ...

Thank you all in advance
Miki from Italy

you are very welcome back to the scene my friend. Even though you are still retired i suppose, i hope to see you around from now on :thumbup:
what SDST's do i need i keep getting teh dreaded STUCK at "apfs_module_start 1689 load com.apple.filesystems.apfs" only have PC to edit.

what SDST's do i need i keep getting teh dreaded STUCK at "apfs_module_start 1689
There is nothing 'dreaded' about it.
A simple problem with a usually simple solution : SSDT-EC.aml

There is nothing 'dreaded' about it.
A simple problem with a usually simple solution : SSDT-EC.aml
Yeah put that in just now and stuck on "tx_flush:1028"

Edit - took an old working 0.6.1 EFI and updated it to 0.6.4 now finally going to try again to upgrade this.

UGH so trying update from Catalina, fails saying ABORTED , then trying to install by USB image with EFI loaded from here on to it- black screen nothing else cant install, so darn frustrating. (edit- fix was to turn off monitor and then back on again. pretty stupid but ok)

Bios 3105 - can boot into catalina on 0.6.4 but cant upgrade or install clean.

After install bootup just takes its sweet time on tx_flush and its not going past that.

Edit # 5 - Ok got it installed finally - but have that issue out of 3 monitors only 1 works! lol Radeon VII worked perfectly in Catalina - but not here.

Last edited:
or install clean

@holmstockd - I'm also strugling to get OC0.6.3 to boot Big Sur on Asus X299 Prime Deluxe. Willing to give v0.6.4 ago, can you share your EFI folder that got you to boot into the installer, please?

@holmstockd - I'm also strugling to get OC0.6.3 to boot Big Sur on Asus X299 Prime Deluxe. Willing to give v0.6.4 ago, can you share your EFI folder that got you to boot into the installer, please
Sure set it as MAC PRO 7.1 and wala all monitors work - hope this works for you -

Edit- after running it for about 30 minutes - performance sucks compared to windows side. System crashed and when booting back up goes through the constant TX_FLUSH:1074 - ugh this OS is very annoying!

Attachments

• EFI copy.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
First of all -- thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread! I successfully brought my X299 build up to Big Sur (11.0.1) .

My first attempt was an upgrade from Catalina (10.5.7) using Clover r5126, but I experienced non-stop issues with Clover and the volume selection always showing Preboot volume even after following the suggested workarounds that I just decided to make the move to OpenCore.

I migrated that upgrade install to use OpenCore 0.6.3, but still found I had random issues with my ASMedia AS2142 XHC2 / XHC3 devices disappearing if I rebooted my machine. I tried so many variations of USBMap.kext, USBPorts.kext, AppleXHCIUSB.kext, SSDTs, etc. -- all the great fixes I could find online in the guides and posts didn't work. It was very annoying to have to shutdown my machine in order to get these two devices to show along with the USB devices attached to them. There is one other user who reported the exact symptoms I was facing in this post, but even after following all suggestions I couldn't get it to go.

I decided to clean install Big Sur (11.0.1) using OpenCore 0.6.4 on my USB Install -- no upgrade, no clover--all good. This was a success and again am thankful for all the great discussions in this post that helped make things run so smooth. Although I pieced everything together all the credit goes to the amazing individuals who write such detailed guides, open source software/tools, and help the n00bs of this world :). Thank you!

I'm attaching my EFI for those who might like to see what I have pieced together.

Build Model: iMacPro1,1
Motherboard: Gigabyte X299 AORUS Ultra Gaming
CPU: Intel i9-7920X (12-core)
RAM: 128GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (8 x 16GB)
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT 8 GB
10GbE: ASUS XG-C100C Aquantia AQC107 10-Gigabit Ethernet

EFI:
Inmike09 X299 Ultra Gaming-Big-Sur-11.0.1-OpenCore-0.6.4.zip

One Remaining Item Of Annoyance -- I have followed the well written apfs snapshot fix procedure from POST #1 repeatedly and no matter what I do I cannot delete the system snapshots. I always get the same error about insufficient privileges. If that is the worst thing I have to deal with that I'm a lucky man.

% csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: disabled (Apple Internal).

% csrutil authenticated-root status
Authenticated Root status: disabled

% diskutil apfs listSnapshots /Volumes/macOS/

Snapshot for disk2s5 (1 found)
|
+-- 7CDBA2AB-1A3A-49B3-88F1-AF392BD9A74F
Name: com.apple.os.update-779BDF1556C6F688504E24FB29C75AFFABFCB91E701806FFFF35235E19914F1E
XID: 214
Purgeable: No

% diskutil apfs deleteSnapshot /Volumes/macOS/ -uuid 7CDBA2AB-1A3A-49B3-88F1-AF392BD9A74F

Deleting APFS Snapshot 7CDBA2AB-1A3A-49B3-88F1-AF392BD9A74F "com.apple.os.update-779BDF1556C6F688504E24FB29C75AFFABFCB91E701806FFFF35235E19914F1E" from APFS Volume disk2s5
Started APFS operation
Error: -69863: Insufficient privileges

% sudo diskutil apfs deleteSnapshot /Volumes/macOS/ -uuid 7CDBA2AB-1A3A-49B3-88F1-AF392BD9A74F

Deleting APFS Snapshot 7CDBA2AB-1A3A-49B3-88F1-AF392BD9A74F "com.apple.os.update-779BDF1556C6F688504E24FB29C75AFFABFCB91E701806FFFF35235E19914F1E" from APFS Volume disk2s5
Started APFS operation

% diskutil apfs deleteSnapshot /Volumes/macOS/ -xid 214

Started APFS operation

Best of luck!

AboutThisMac.png

System4.png

System1.png

System2.png

System3.png

Attachments

• System1.png
    System1.png
    376.8 KB · Views: 72
  • EFI.zip
    5 MB · Views: 185
Last edited:
@holmstockd - I'm also strugling to get OC0.6.3 to boot Big Sur on Asus X299 Prime Deluxe. Willing to give v0.6.4 ago, can you share your EFI folder that got you to boot into the installer, please?
Hi, if you are using the dortania opencore install guide for Intel HEDT everything is working like a charme - you only need 4 ssdt: PLUG, USBX, RTC0, AWAC for a first setup... took me about 30 minutes to make a efi. read, learn and install. you do not need efi from other guys, cause if you do it for yourselves it is easy for you to understand how it works and you will have no problems with further updates (opencore & system):thumbup:

Although I was able to find it, I wanted to thank you for supplying this. Still Apple's Big Sur seems to be able (for now), to circumvent your efforts to block them. They even know how to get around the VPN thing. So this is not good. I look forward to seeing how VPN companies, LuLu and Little Snitch's coders will overcome and write their software to protect us from prying eyes.
I read about this issue with Big Sur. My router has a built-in VPN & Firewall (DD-WRT), so I'm not really concerned about it. The branch cannot circumcise it's root :lol:.

There are still a few other options available to block Apple from bypassing your filter in Big Sur.
- Disabling SIP partially should allow you ( in theory ) to install previous version of Little Snitch or Lulu that work with kernel extension.
- Modifying an Info.plist in Big Sur system extension: Process is described below: ( a bit tedious :confused:)
-Approving the loading of particular kernel extensions ( requires booting in Recovery + Terminal commands )
- Hoping that Apple will modify their future releases ( I doubt it )
- Hoping that Little Snitch, lulu or TripMode will find a way around this.

Hope this helps. I'm using Router VPN + Lulu 2.0. for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back