Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep both work. Tried taking a screenshot but netflix shows blackscreen since DRM

Will make an updated post with efi and specs/config once I have everything sorted out.
I really don't know what happens with AppleALC, we'll know more in the future I think.

You you use WEG with RX580 or not? you you think I should buy a RX 5500 XT or an RX 580 from hassle free / compatibility point of view? I really don't need all the power of my Radeon VII, and, even if it's a Vega 20 like the Radeon Pro Vega MPX module, I suspect drivers are not the same. I really just need stability until a more "pro" Apple SoC comes out.

I succesfully updated from Catalina to BS and everything works but i've a strange issue. If i switch off the machine and i switch on again i've as usual OC menu and BS starts...if i restart the machine when it boots i've black screen and a back slash character appear on the monitor (as the picture attached!) qled code is d2. This happens only with the final version of BS with beta i'd no issue. Any suggestion? I use OC 0.63.
IMG_8254.jpg

I really don't know what happens with AppleALC, we'll know more in the future I think.

You you use WEG with RX580 or not? you you think I should buy a RX 5500 XT or an RX 580 from hassle free / compatibility point of view? I really don't need all the power of my Radeon VII, and, even if it's a Vega 20 like the Radeon Pro Vega MPX module, I suspect drivers are not the same. I really just need stability until a more "pro" Apple SoC comes out.

No WEG since i'm using MacPro7,1. Think RX 580 would be a good choice to try since they're pretty cheap. I don't do anything intensive GPU wise and have my RTX 3090 for Windows :lol: anyway.

Got good deals on the processor and motherboard and still need VM support so decided to hack (still retired tho)

Some specifics (still in-progress)
  • ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Encore (BIOS 0702)
  • Intel i9-10980XE
  • 2x16 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3200) (Will upgrade to 4x16 of something)
  • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 (macOS)
  • ASUS Strix RTX 3090 OC (Windows 10)
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB (Windows 10)
  • Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB (macOS)
  • BCM94360NG (Swapped onboard Intel Wifi/BT for native macOS support until intel drivers catch up)
  • Fractal Design Celsius S36+ AIO
  • EKWB RGB Fans (may decide to custom loop later on)
  • Corsair HX1000i
  • Lian Li PC011 Dynamic XL
PCIe Slots
  1. RTX 3090 (x16)
  2. N/A (Disabled due to M.2)
  3. N/A
  4. RX 580 (x4 due to M.2)

Config.plist
OpenCore 0.6.3 Release
SMBIOS: MacPro7,1
SSDTs
  • SSDT-EC-USBX
  • SSDT-PLUG
  • SSDT-RC0
  • SSDT-SBUS-MCHC
Drivers
  • HfsPlus
  • OpenCanopy
  • OpenRuntime
Kexts
  • AppleALC
  • IntelMausi
  • Lilu
  • SMCProcessor
  • SMCSuperIO
  • TSCAdjustReset
  • USBInjectAll (Need to map ports once I finish building the comp. Currently testing stuff)
  • VirtualSMC
Kernel Patch
  • AQC107 10G patch (Required for Big Sur only)

Last edited:
I succesfully updated from Catalina to BS and everything works but i've a strange issue. If i switch off the machine and i switch on again i've as usual OC menu and BS starts...if i restart the machine when it boots i've black screen and a back slash character appear on the monitor (as the picture attached!) qled code is d2. This happens only with the final version of BS with beta i'd no issue. Any suggestion? I use OC 0.63.
View attachment 496684
This happens to me too sometimes!
No WEG since i'm using MacPro7,1. Think RX 580 would be a good choice to try since they're pretty cheap. I don't do anything intensive GPU wise and have my RTX 3090 for Windows :lol: anyway.
Yeah they're cheap, but also cost as much as a 5500XT here in Italy and that's a pretty newer GPU, I only hope it works fine (agdpmod=pikera, for example, is still required?).

Yeah they're cheap, but also cost as much as a 5500XT here in Italy and that's a pretty newer GPU, I only hope it works fine (agdpmod=pikera, for example, is still required?).

Yeah i think pikera is still required tho I've been out of the loop for a bit. I'm still retired lol

So maybe it's a common issue with Asus board...or OC related

After 5 restart the installation has been successfully completed. I recreated the config.plist according to sample.plist(0.6.3) and redownload the new 11.0.1 copy from the link below; http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...x1n2wpf8rik5agns2z43ikqu/InstallAssistant.pkg

If you get any error while first reboot or second like "an error occurred while..." Just manually reboot the system and keep going the installation.

I attached the my EFI it has GPRW patch for sleep issue.

the system works flawlessly with new Davinci Resolve Studio 17
:thumbup:

Bios version 3105
So one more question. I just tried to update to Bios 3105 from 0802 and the machine now just shuts down after it hits the Apple logo after the OpenCore menu. Was there something that changed drastically in the Bios? I know that the one after 0802 had issues with the MSR lock, but didn't see anything about 3105.

just have this no thing happening

You need to have XCode installed and run it once to install the CLI tools and agree to the user agreement. OCBuilder should download some other dependencies too

First off, this is my first post in years but been lurking and learning here since probably 2011 - although still feel like a massive novice. Second, I think the Build Signatures are broken because I don't seem to be able to make mine update at all.

I am having an issue installing Big Sur - I can boot the installer, complete the first graphical part of the install and reboot. On the reboot I select the Mac OS Installer on my SSD for Big Sur, this time it boots to the progress bar, then mouse pointer appears with the progress bar, screen goes black, shows a spinning logo for a second and reboots. Then this just keeps happening in a loop. When this happens even with the -V boot-arg Its already switched to graphical progress bar so I can't see where its failing.

Its an MSI X299 Pro, i9 10940x, Radeon RX 560, 2x Sabrent Rocket NVMe drives. Opencore 6.3.

I followed the Dortania guide to the letter for manual SSDT builds specific to my machine.

I have a perfectly functioning Catalina 10.15.7 build, sleep, wake, USB map, DRM everything seems to work perfectly except perhaps NVRAM. More on that in a second...

I initially suspected either EC or RCT0-RANGE as the problem because there is some weirdness with this motherboard:
  • It has no EC device. In Windows device manager there is no entry for "ACPI Embedded Controller" or similar. And searching the dumped DSDT for PNP0C09 finds "0" results.
  • It has both an AWAC and RTC device, with I think, a property that switched (STAS I'm barely even a beginner at ACPI!) to switch between the two, but it also seems to be missing the mapped section for the RTC device (0x70 range, 0x2 length)
  • Opencore requires npci=0x2000 boot-arg to boot
I have manually created SSDT's and Im pretty sure they are now working correctly.

In IoregExplorer I can see an EC device the name "ACID0001" and a newly created RTC0 device with name "PNP0B00" (and no old RTC device) with the two ranges properly mapped - address 0x70, length 0x4 and address 0x74, length 0x4.

I have tried a number of things suggested in the Dortania guide including adding vsmcgen=1 to boot-args and replacing VirtualSMC with fake SMC, with and without NVMEfix.kext and WEG but the behaviour is always the same.

Regarding my NVRAM, I have noticed that my while my custom SSDT-PMC at least shows a PMCR device with name "APP9876" in IoregExplorer, it doesn't appear to be working as NVRAM should - Opencore doesn't save any changes to "startup disk" for example.

So I have a couple of questions and one favour to ask:

1. What is the best way for me to debug and collect or view log files to find out more about exactly what point its rebooting if -V is no longer showing the verbose output? It starts to show but once the screen shuts off and comes back with a progress bar and mouse pointer there is no verbose output to see anymore.
  2. Is this potentially related to a non-functioning NVRAM implementation - If so some guidance in fixing that would be appreciated.
  3. Could someone take a look at my custom SSDT's and give them a sanity check given my novice editing

(EFI folder attached with the SMBIOS cleaned and I removed resources and tools folders to reduce size, please let me know if you'd like to check the original DSDT dump, I'll add that too)

Thanks in advance for any help - and hopefully this can be worked through to another success so we can add another motherboard and config guide to the thread.

Attachments

• MSI X299 Pro.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
After 5 restart the installation has been successfully completed. I recreated the config.plist according to sample.plist(0.6.3) and redownload the new 11.0.1 copy from the link below; http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...x1n2wpf8rik5agns2z43ikqu/InstallAssistant.pkg

If you get any error while first reboot or second like "an error occurred while..." Just manually reboot the system and keep going the installation.

I attached the my EFI it has GPRW patch for sleep issue.

the system works flawlessly with new Davinci Resolve Studio 17
:thumbup:

Bios version 3105
Did you need to patch the BIOS for MSR 0xE2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back