Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes of course I can restart on the disk of my choice: Big Sur or Catalina or Windows
Then the computer shuts down and reboots, but the only requirement to reboot to the selected disk as far as I know is that this disk should be set as the priority of the boot disk over the bios.
OK
This means NVRAM is not working, right ?
With NVRAM working with OC you can hide Open Canopy and select the boot drive in Startup system pref .. like a real mac ... nothing more

As I can't succeed to install BS. I'm suspecting that it s NVRAM issue. But If you succeed without NVRAM ... it means, i'm looking for in the wrong direction ....

thanks again

So if I understand you can not reboot after the first stage : you can first boot the installer , select your install disk and after the first process , you are stuck at reboot ?
same for me ;)
Not stuck .... it reboots before any "time remaining"

Can you elaborate "3.2 /" step ?
"Macintosn HD" is the Hard Drive with "Installer macOS Big Sur" within its Application Folder, isn't it ?
We mustn't chose the "macOS installer" at gui boot screen on this step ??
I'm confused ....
Any explanation is welcome
thanks

For now I only managed :
- fresh install from installer on USB stick to a blank disk ( On Asus X299 , Gigabyte X299 , Asrock X299, Asrock X570 and Asus H87 )
- several updates on Big Sur after Big Sur Installation.

I tried in July many times without success to install Big Sur from Catalina by selecting "Install macOS Big Sur" on a blank APFS formatted disk: never restart on it after the first step ...

For now I only managed :
- fresh install from installer on USB stick to a blank disk ( On Asus X299 , Gigabyte X299 , Asrock X299, Asrock X570 and Asus H87 )
- several updates on Big Sur after Big Sur Installation.

I tried in July many times without success to install Big Sur from Catalina by selecting "Install macOS Big Sur" on a blank APFS formatted disk: never restart on it after the first step ...
thanks

OK
This means NVRAM is not working, right ?
With NVRAM working with OC you can hide Open Canopy and select the boot drive in Startup system pref .. like a real mac ... nothing more

As I can't succeed to install BS. I'm suspecting that it s NVRAM issue. But If you succeed without NVRAM ... it means, i'm looking for in the wrong direction ....

thanks again
Thanks,
I will try by removing open canopy.

Thanks,
I will try by removing open canopy.
you do not need to remove .. you can just hide it ;)
With working NVRAM the selection in the Startup PrefPan is automatically selected in gui at boot screen (open canopy). And it works for window also

@Loloflatsix: Are you saying we cannot "upgrade" our Catalina disk to Big Sur? And we have to install Big Sur on a newly formatted APFS drive? Please confirm. Thanks!

I have never tried to update any of my disk with Catalina or Mojave to Big Sur by selecting "Install macOS Big Sur"
I prefer a fresh install to avoid update issues.

When a new version of macOS comes out , I prefer try it a few days or months to switch directly on it.

I am currently still using Catalina, for personal and software reasons, on one of my workstations and during the past and present period of confinement I daily work at home with it.

[I use two workstations at the same time with two display screens: one on Windows to use different softwares not compatible on macOs and the other on Mojave to use different macOS compatible softwares for my work].

Last edited:
@oli.mathieu
I remember being stuck at first reboot on my Taichi X570 : I read that on some motherboards, you must set above 4G on the bios or ncpci = 0x2000 for the boot argument : on my Asrock Taichi X570 I can't use the two but I have to deactivate Above 4G and only keep ncpci = 0x2000. On the Asrock X299 I keep both.

Last edited:
I don’t have any Battery power.
I have corsair commander pro
Energy saver show current charge 0%
How to disabled this UPS?
Hello Friend,
I have the same Mobo as yours ( also an UPS ). No issue here, percentage is shown correctly.
You do not need the SSDT-Plug, everything works perfectly without it ( XCPM, Power States, sleep, etc..)
As a matter of fact, I do not have a single SSDT in my EFI folder. Everything is :thumbup:.

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 10.29.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 10.23.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 10.35.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 10.42.37 AM.png

Last edited:
jya7980xe:~ jyavenard$ nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:eek:pencore-version
4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:eek:pencore-version REL-064-2020-11-13
jya7980xe:~ jyavenard$

Definitely the latest, unless a new one came since yesterday !

I did carry the config.plist across from the original OC 0.6.0 beta back from July.

I'll update with yours to test, thanks for your answer.

JY
Updating OpenCore is not as easy as Clover, after each update, your config.plist needs also a make over.
You can use the Filemerge.app, (part of XCODE) to compare them by side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back