Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Catalina x Big Sur
Anyone have some comments regarding RX 5700XT perfomance? Is it any better?
For me , it's way better. I had a weird issue in Catalina that made my graphics acceleration didn't work on boot. So i got 30hz in display settings and everything was sluggish. Had to do a couple reboots to get it work right. Now on BS it hasn't happened once.

speaking of GPUs... Big Sur broke DRM compatibility for Netflix and Prime Video on my system. Prior with Catalina I had no issues without using WEG (WEG actually never worked with DRMs for me) which is the way to go with MacPro7,1 SMBIOS. Is anyone able to use Netflix and Prime with Big Sur? How?

Anyone with an EFI folder which will work with Rampage Extreme VI just to help me get started?
Edit: Currently I'm on 2002 bios.

Last edited:
Anyone with an EFI folder which will work with Rampage Extreme VI just to help me get started?
Edit: Currently I'm on 2002 bios.
I'm using 7960x with the same board and BIOS version right now. Will post my efi later. Be aware of that your configuration may differ from mine. Like I have a Radeon vii on PCI Slot 3, not Slot 1

speaking of GPUs... Big Sur broke DRM compatibility for Netflix and Prime Video on my system. Prior with Catalina I had no issues without using WEG (WEG actually never worked with DRMs for me) which is the way to go with MacPro7,1 SMBIOS. Is anyone able to use Netflix and Prime with Big Sur? How?
No issue here with Prime Video. I don't use Netflix.
Big Sur + ImacPro1,1 + WEG.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 11.35.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 11.35.49 PM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
No issue here with Prime Video. I don't use Netflix.
Big Sur + ImacPro1,1 + WEG.
It seems to be a MacPro7,1 issue regarding the T2 chip, I'll wait for final release to check if it's solved.

Hi Loloflatsix (and everyone else), I never realized that this post on TonyMac ever existed. I am amazed at what you and others have done to have this post be this active and alive! Cool stuff! I too have two Asus Prime X299-DELUXE (version 1) motherboards. My main system runs a i9-7980XE CPU, 64GB of GSkill 3600MHz of RAM and 2 x AMD Vega Frontier Edition 16GB GPU's. My backup system runs a i9-7960X, 32GB of GSkill 3200MHz RAM and a XFX Radeon VII 16GB GPU.

I (at one point and time), had KGP (Klaus) help and guide me to get my main system working, but mine haa a slightly different twist. I have 3 x Asus 28" 4K monitors working side, by side, by side. Hence the reason why I needed 2 GPUs to have more RAM working my monitors better. Now, I've been using MacOS X 10.15.0 for quite some time and it's been great, but I'm needing to upgrade to either 10.15.7 or Big Sur (beta). For some reason I'm not able to update to any further than 10.15.0, because when I do, the screens just go black on boot. So that's the reason why I haven't updated my OS.

So I after reading about 35+ pages (sorry, haven't read ALL 59 pages yet), I decided to experiment and use Loloflatsix's EFI file (on Post #87), and try it out on my backup system using (at first) 10.15. It worked like a charm!!! Faster boot time (by about 10 to 15 sec faster). Then yesterday I decided to try the latest Big Sur 11.0 (beta 10) and everything installed nicely, but when it finally went to the boot screen (where you see the Apple logo and the processing bar below), it just stayed there and didn't go further for about 10 min. I then shut everything down. But decided to restart it and try again. Well I waited a little past 10 minutes and it actually started, where I was able to see the Big Sur screen saver. I guess I should've waited a bit longer, as I didn't realize it was still installing. Currently it's doing it's installing "thing" and I've been watching it (slowly but surly), work thought it's installing process. This is taking a very long time. I've been sitting here for about 30 min and it's still "setting up my Mac."

By the way, I was told by someone that the reason why my system was not able to update to anything higher than 10.15.0, was because of the older Vega Frontier cards and that updating to a better card (like Radeon VII), would work. Well doing this new install with the Radeon VII card looks like it's working so far. Would anyone know how true that is about whether or not the the Vega Frontier cards are the issue? Let me know what you can, thank you.

Last edited:
Hi to all,
I write here although I'm already on Catalina. I tried to upgrade to OC 0.62, but post the reboot my hack hadn't load the Highpoint RAID controller kext. I had to return to my 0.60 EFI and I don't understand what caused this behavior ...
Any ideas?

Tx

I'm using 7960x with the same board and BIOS version right now. Will post my efi later. Be aware of that your configuration may differ from mine. Like I have a Radeon vii on PCI Slot 3, not Slot 1

Thanks @Jevens.
Yes. I have a RX 5700XT on slot 1.
I followed the dortania + kpg guides and I have Catalina up and running but I'm getting a hard time with the USB ports and consequently with sleep.
The hack sleeps but bluetooth keyboard disconnects. I disabled the internal WIFI but I'm trying to use the internal bluetooth adapter. I already tried with a dongle but no luck either. At the end of day I think my plague is only USB.
Anyway, I can try your EFI but my board is the Extreme Only not the omega.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like everything installed and it's working. But man! That took forever! It literally took over an hour to get everything set up. In the end, this is still super encouraging! The only thing that I have an issue with is the Internet is not working for some reason. I'm going to restart the machine and see if that will help. If anybody could possibly give me some help on that one that would really be great. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back