Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I want to confirm that my Asus X299 Prime-A is fully working working on BigSur!
Just used @djlild7hina EFI files as base, with only replaced my personal SSDT's and adjusted SMBIOS properties.
Also, updated from catalina via Apple's Beta Profile!

The only one issue I found out after updating to new OpenCore 0.6.1 (I was using a very old 0.3 on Catalina), is that I can no longer load X299-Sat1.aml ssdt.
It give me AE_NAMESPACE_FOUND on namespace [_DSM]. I have to look out, but at the end this table injects only cosmetic properties..

Now I would ask for advice. My HD7950 is (literally) dying, I found out that the new RX5500xt are about the same price as RX580 (200€ for 8gb model). Which one I should pick?
I can also pick an used RX590 for 140€, not sure if is a good deal

EDIT: Got the used RX590 Nitro+

EDIT2: Right now I'm on Bios 3105

PS: I can contribute by sharing my EFI distribution

Last edited:
Hi all, I want to confirm that my Asus X299 Prime-A is fully working working on BigSur!
Just used @djlild7hina EFI files as base, with only replaced my personal SSDT's and adjusted SMBIOS properties.
Also, updated from catalina via Apple's Beta Profile!

The only one issue I found out after updating to new OpenCore 0.6.1 (I was using a very old 0.3 on Catalina), is that I can no longer load X299-Sat1.aml ssdt.
It give me AE_NAMESPACE_FOUND on namespace [_DSM]. I have to look out, but at the end this table injects only cosmetic properties..

Now I would ask for advice. My HD7950 is (literally) dying, I found out that the new RX5500xt are about the same price as RX580 (200€ for 8gb model). Which one I should pick?
I can also pick an used RX590 for 140€, not sure if is a good deal

PS: I can contribute by sharing my EFI distribution
Nice to know you are successful with Big Sur. :thumbup:
You can attach your EFI and I will add it on the thread.
I have good return of experience with RX 580 ( on my current workstation) also with RX 570.
RX 5500 XT is good and compatible but only with Catalina or Big Sur ( same performance as RX 580)
RX 590 is RX 580 refresh with Polaris by its 12 nm engraving and higher GPU frequency 1545 MHz.

Nice to know you are successful with Big Sur. :thumbup:
You can attach your EFI and I will add it on the thread.
I have good return of experience with RX 580 ( on my current workstation) also with RX 570.
RX 5500 XT is good and compatible but only with Catalina or Big Sur ( same performance as RX 580)
RX 590 is RX 580 refresh with Polaris by its 12 nm engraving and higher GPU frequency 1545 MHz.

At the end I picked up the used rx590, saving some bucks for the newer arm macbooks (yep I’m an App developer and need a stable machine). Ideally I would have picked a Vega (even used) but they are to costly and I have very little demands.

Anyways, I had to attach my efi config here or do a pull request on GitHub?
And about my config.plist, should I attach (without platform and smbios sections) or not?

EDIT: I'm attaching here my EFI folder. I have one more question about oc 0.6.1: On PlatformInfo there is a section called Generic that contains some info like MLB and ProductModel. I need to set also this section or can I delete? Usually I fill the SMBIOS section inside PlatformInfo...

EDIT2: This EFI distribution is tested on BIOS 3105.

Attachments

• AsusX299_Prime-A_OC061_BigSur.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 179
Last edited:
At the end I picked up the used rx590, saving some bucks for the newer arm macbooks (yep I’m an App developer and need a stable machine). Ideally I would have picked a Vega (even used) but they are to costly and I have very little demands.

Anyways, I had to attach my efi config here or do a pull request on GitHub?
And about my config.plist, should I attach (without platform and smbios sections) or not?

EDIT: I'm attaching here my EFI folder. I have one more question about oc 0.6.1: On PlatformInfo there is a section called Generic that contains some info like MLB and ProductModel. I need to set also this section or can I delete? Usually I fill the SMBIOS section inside PlatformInfo...

Starting from 0.6.0, they fixed the issue where the processor type doesn't show correctly on skylake-x/xeon-w chips. So we no longer have to populate the DataHub,PlatformNVRAm,SMBIOS sections. We can just use Generic.
Also your kgp SSDTs aren't loading since you are using scope PC00. We don't rename PCI0 to PC00 anymore so change it to PCI0.

Starting from 0.6.0, they fixed the issue where the processor type doesn't show correctly on skylake-x/xeon-w chips. So we no longer have to populate the DataHub,PlatformNVRAm,SMBIOS sections. We can just use Generic.
Also your kgp SSDTs aren't loading since you are using scope PC00. We don't rename PCI0 to PC00 anymore so change it to PCI0.

So, basically I can remove DataHub, PlatformNVRAM and SMBIOS sections?

Are you sure about renaming devices to PCI0? In the sample EFI zip for X299-Deluxe (inside your repository) all the scope are named PC00 and since boot log is not showing any issue with those tables I think is fine. Can you please check?

EDIT: Take a look at those tables:

Schermata 2020-09-18 alle 16.21.28.png
Schermata 2020-09-18 alle 16.23.28.png

So, basically I can remove DataHub, PlatformNVRAM and SMBIOS sections?

Are you sure about renaming devices to PCI0? In the sample EFI zip for X299-Deluxe (inside your repository) all the scope are named PC00 and since boot log is not showing any issue with those tables I think is fine. Can you please check?
Yes for me PC00 should be right see #238 :?:

Ah ok, I read post #238 yesterday when I tried to adapt RTC0 table. So I should be right, anyways is strange that SAT1 cannot be loaded
Yes good question with OC : for me too for SAT1 and I think we could handle this only under device properties:

Code:
<key>DeviceProperties</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Add</key>
        <dict/>

Ah ok, I read post #238 yesterday when I tried to adapt RTC0 table. So I should be right, anyways is strange that SAT1 cannot be loaded

Sorry i got it backwards :lol: PC00 is right. Not sure why it's not loading.

A probably stupid question: I broke one pin of my onboard usb 3.0 header, where is connected the USB 2.0 FENVI Bluetooth cable. Blietooth seems to function but I was wonder if I could use this cable instead ...
0D8E5C3A-758D-43C0-9817-80AC307BA74F.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back