Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
@izo1 Tx for your answer. I have another probably stupid question. In your (and now mine :)) config.plist - ACPI - Patch there are two patches: "_Q11 to XQ11" and "_Q12 to XQ12".Can you please explain to me what they are for?

No idea, don't touch them if you don't know :)

The OC documentation is very good and covers everything, but of course it's not easy to understand sometimes.

The config.plist was taken from their own and only things that pertain to the X299 system at hand were modified but everything else stayed the same.

The old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :thumbup:

SO! About those Nvidia Ampere 30X0 cards...

Are we going to miss these beastly dedicated GPUs (we can apply same logic for RDNA2 I hope) ?

20TFlops at 499$ | 30TFlops at 699$ + RTcores and Tensorcores seems a really big leap forward. Will Apple be able to keep up with his custom GPUs we're reading about in rumors? Actually I think it's pretty clear next gen GPUs will require PCIe 4.0 and we don't have any on Intel platform at the moment (and probably Apple will not support the next Willow Cove architecture in any form due to the switch). Obviously I'm not considering AMD X570 platform due to less compatibility with macOS. Just random thoughts...

AMD is going to have a leap in performance too with RDNA2, most likely hit the 3080 spot on the higher end. They have more money now to invest.

NVIDIA did outdo themselves this time, though.

No idea, don't touch them if you don't know :)

The OC documentation is very good and covers everything, but of course it's not easy to understand sometimes.

The config.plist was taken from their own and only things that pertain to the X299 system at hand were modified but everything else stayed the same.

The old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :thumbup:
I didn’t want to fix it, but only fully understand ...

@izo1 Tx for your answer. I have another probably stupid question. In your (and now mine :)) config.plist - ACPI - Patch there are two patches: "_Q11 to XQ11" and "_Q12 to XQ12".Can you please explain to me what they are for?
These patches are only needed on laptops, remapping brightness keys and so forth. You can get rid of them on X299.

Yesterday I changed the RAM and after a few hours ...
Schermata 2020-09-03 alle 09.45.30.png

AMD is going to have a leap in performance too with RDNA2, most likely hit the 3080 spot on the higher end. They have more money now to invest.

NVIDIA did outdo themselves this time, though.

IMO it's highly unlike that Apple will implement RDNA2 cards, they're full steam on they CPUs / GPUs at this point. My perplexity is just about Ampere/RDNA2 vs Apple custom GPUs. The reason is linked to the fact, as you stated, that a lot of us are interested in newer Apple Silicon Macs.

IMO it's highly unlike that Apple will implement RDNA2 cards, they're full steam on they CPUs / GPUs at this point. My perplexity is just about Ampere/RDNA2 vs Apple custom GPUs. The reason is linked to the fact, as you stated, that a lot of us are interested in newer Apple Silicon Macs.
Mac Pro is still a thing. They will definitely update the gpus in those machines and most likely use the new ice lake Xeon processors. Mac Pro will be the last computer they most likely will move to Apple Silicon.

My issue has been resolved this was user error but still cannot set negative offsets.

Mac Pro is still a thing. They will definitely update the gpus in those machines and most likely use the new ice lake Xeon processors. Mac Pro will be the last computer they most likely will move to Apple Silicon.

Mac Pro is a thing, sure... but they plan to switch to custom silicon completely in 2022 (so including the Mac Pro). Mac Pro is Late 2019, so 3 years running on latest Xeons Ws and Vega 20/RDNA1. Would not be so strange for apple to update their flagship workstation after 3 years from release, they already did in the past and this time could be even reasonable given the architecture switch. Don't you think?

My issue has been resolved this was user error but still cannot set negative offsets.

You can't set negative offset by using -, negative offset is set by a normal multiplier in the negative offset box.

Mac Pro is a thing, sure... but they plan to switch to custom silicon completely in 2022 (so including the Mac Pro). Mac Pro is Late 2019, so 3 years running on latest Xeons Ws and Vega 20/RDNA1. Would not be so strange for apple to update their flagship workstation after 3 years from release, they already did in the past and this time could be even reasonable given the architecture switch. Don't you think?

They just bump specced the iMac with RDNA, I wouldn't be surprised if they bump spec the Mac Pro like they did the iMac Pro too with newer parts. The base will probably be 10core and then they'll put RDNA2 GPUs on the base model because right now it's still Polaris. They have to make new MPX modules for every update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back