Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
@wladdych see also my previous post about devices id here #220 ;) :beachball:

Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 22.48.54.png

But however on Big Sur AGPMController show Radeon Pro devices id :think:

Last edited:
So after some very busy days, holidays are far away now, I started the way to share the hard work from @djlild7hina and also add new support for MacOs Big Sur.

For reminder three years ago, development began to manage the installation of MacOS on X299.

Since then, hard work has been done over the months to keep the hardware and software on the top.

Now my repo on GitHub is created to keep the support for these motherboards alive.

First post is updated. :thumbup: #1

Last edited:
Today Amazon should deliver an M-Audio Air 192/6 to my door, I bought it to replace my old little USB preamp for my guitar. Hopefully the KP will not be present on USB interface, but I'll keep watching this on future betas.

Generally speaking, it's still correct now to say that Z390 (maybe Z490, too) is a better suitable and more compatible/stable platform for hacks with iMac SMBIOS than X299 on iMacPro1,1 / MacPro7,1 ? 10700K seems to be a little bad boy at his price point ;-)View attachment 485994

The new 10core iMac is a really good value and performance if you need a real Mac and those comps have the 10xxx CPUs. The 10 core is faster than the 10/12 core iMac Pro it seems (especially single core performance).

If you are a professional audio person like this guy that requires high end PCIe cards, then a Mac Pro (2019) would be more suitable for a real Mac.

For X299 I suggest MacPro7,1, which is what I've been using for a while with zero issues.

Also myself and a few other people were very early adopters of OpenCore and it was messy back then, now it's much much better and not all over the place like before. Of course it still requires knowledge to edit the config manually, but the documentation and tutorials are really good by now.

I'm personally a graphic design professional (more on the high end motion graphics side) and personally just need many fast cores and a lot of RAM for all the Adobe apps to be open (I use almost all of them at the same time). I love how snappy the 18core Hackintosh is for my day to day work...however, time is money for me and I think I could live with a 10core iMac for now until the Mac Pro has better specs at the base level. I can easily afford a $15,000 Mac Pro but I don't see why I would get it if maybe new Intel CPUs are around the corner, and let's not forget ARM and where Apple is headed with the Mac. I think I will just get a 10 core iMac for now and part out the Hackintosh, unless someone buys this thing i spent hundreds of hours if not thousand to perfect haha.

@izo1

Check:

I have no idea what I'm looking at?

If you set Above 4G Decoding and leave it on, and save your bios settings, it will reboot and keep that setting in tact.
Instead of him using Device Properties he using SSDT instead, thought the whole idea with OpenCore was to help lower the number of SSDTs used in ACPI and use OpenCore features instead?

Either/or is fine. I like putting it all in DeviceProperties because I am not a fan of SSDTs and for me its easier to edit the config.plist file. But to each their own.

I finally installed Catalina and ... wow ... everything went right on the first try !!! I would like to thank you all and in particular @djlild7hina and @izo1 for your support.
now I am trying to tune the beast and here the doubts begin again...

1) my PCIe devices are
SLOT 1 Radeon VII
SLOT 2 Titan Ridge
SLOT 3 HighPoint RocketRAID 2840A controller (16xSATA max)
SLOT 4 WiFi/BT card
SLOT 5 HighPoint 7101A-1 4 x NVMe controller
SLOT 6 2 x USB 3.0 card (the only one present on the motherboard I used to connect a USB hub ...)
TB was flashed ad now I have to edit DROM
HighPoint card in SLOT 5 is a 16x controller, but the system sees it as 8x. Moreover, the RAID I installed (2 x Sabrent Rocket Q 4TB = 8TB) works much slower than expected. Is there something that I have to do with OpenCore settings? Or with BIOS settings?
More generally, I still have difficulty understanding how to set the right values for "DeviceProperties" for my specific hack. About this, I read a few times the Dortania guide and the Acidanthera PDF too, but the "DeviceProperties" section seems to be related only to iGPUs and to audio settings ...

2) my system NVMe SSDs (2 x Sabrent Rocket 1TB each one) are placed in M2_1 (macOS) and M2_2 (Windows 10)
M2_1 slot turned out to be the fastest one. I tried to clone the Catalina SSD to one SSD on the HighPoint NVMe RAID controller. It worked fine, but it was much slower than the same SSD put in M2_1 slot and so I reverse to 1st solution. Frankly I don't know how to interpret these differences in performance, considering my mobo has 48 lines ...

Great :thumbup:
I will post the latest EFI here and you're welcome to use it since you have a similar system to mine. We are now using Generic for SMBIOS settings thanks to @djlild7hina findings. Everything works perfectly.

Regarding the 16x issue, if you look at the SAGE/10G manual you will see that it's every other PCIe slot that supports 16x, even though all PCIe slots have 16x layouts.

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 5.16.06 PM.png

So you put the HighPoint RAID card, which will need to go into a 16x slot, which you already have in Slot 3 and Slot 5, respectively, and they both support 16x. You might want to try Slot 7 for the RAID card?

Also if you are filling up all the other NVMe slots that are onboard as well, you might be maxing out the PCIe lanes for the whole system and the BIOS throttles the PCIe 16x card down to 8x.

The M.2 slots onboard are different, I believe one of them goes directly to the CPU and the others goes through the PCH, which may be a bit slower. But don't quote me on this one.

In terms of DeviceProperties, it is mostly cosmetic, however something like Layout ID for audio can be set there too.

You basically use a tool such as HackinTool, click the PCIe tab, export a text list and then find your PCI device path and put it into DeviceProperties and change the device name for cosmetic purposes.
Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 5.21.46 PM.png

You did Apple software RAID? It sounds like you created one with the two M.2 slots on the motherboard. As @djlild7hina said, the bottom one is on the chipset whereas the other is on the CPU. You need both on CPU-connected PCI-e for a fast SSD RAID. I'd recommend moving the SSD that's in the PCH slot to the PCI-e that has the Wifi card now, using an M.2 adapter card, and then going to M.2 wifi that's installed in a motherboard slot.

edit: oh, or! another solution that's pretty nifty: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MCL16M8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

The two system SSD (macOS and Windows) are placed respectively in M2_1 and M2_2 slots in no RAID config. The RAID arrays are built on the two RAID controllers using the HighPoint software ...

So you put the HighPoint RAID card, which will need to go into a 16x slot, which you already have in Slot 3 and Slot 5, respectively, and they both support 16x. You might want to try Slot 7 for the RAID card?

Also if you are filling up all the other NVMe slots that are onboard as well, you might be maxing out the PCIe lanes for the whole system and the BIOS throttles the PCIe 16x card down to 8x.

The RAID controller put in SLOT 3 is 8x. The problem is related to the only NVMe RAID controller that should works 16x. I'll do some tests, the first of which will be to extract the usb 3.0 card from slot 6 and put the controller in slot 7, so that the latter is the only one to enter the 2nd plx module ...

Last edited:
Now I have two problems to solve
1) Titan Ridge - a) I flashed the card with @CaseySJ "GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin" firmware. 2) I installed the TTR on slot2 3) I activated the related BIOS section 4) I edited the DROM and created the SSDT-TBOLT3.aml
Now seeing apple system info I have this situation
Schermata 2020-08-29 alle 09.52.36.png

Schermata 2020-08-29 alle 09.52.55.png

Schermata 2020-08-29 alle 09.53.19.png

what did i do wrong? I attach my SSDT

2) when the monitor goes into standby, moving the mouse or digit something on the keyboard don't not wake the monitor until after several attempts ...

Attachments

• SSDT-TBOLT3.aml
    2.1 KB · Views: 62
The new 10core iMac is a really good value and performance if you need a real Mac and those comps have the 10xxx CPUs. The 10 core is faster than the 10/12 core iMac Pro it seems (especially single core performance).

If you are a professional audio person like this guy that requires high end PCIe cards, then a Mac Pro (2019) would be more suitable for a real Mac.

For X299 I suggest MacPro7,1, which is what I've been using for a while with zero issues.

Also myself and a few other people were very early adopters of OpenCore and it was messy back then, now it's much much better and not all over the place like before. Of course it still requires knowledge to edit the config manually, but the documentation and tutorials are really good by now.

I'm personally a graphic design professional (more on the high end motion graphics side) and personally just need many fast cores and a lot of RAM for all the Adobe apps to be open (I use almost all of them at the same time). I love how snappy the 18core Hackintosh is for my day to day work...however, time is money for me and I think I could live with a 10core iMac for now until the Mac Pro has better specs at the base level. I can easily afford a $15,000 Mac Pro but I don't see why I would get it if maybe new Intel CPUs are around the corner, and let's not forget ARM and where Apple is headed with the Mac. I think I will just get a 10 core iMac for now and part out the Hackintosh, unless someone buys this thing i spent hundreds of hours if not thousand to perfect haha.

Thanks for all these precious advices mate, appreciated. But really, my work is 90% basic stuff like email, office suite, browser, and not much else. I built a 18 core + radeon VII beast just because I'm a bit on the nerd side but I'll be perfectly fine with a basic 8 core machine and a 5500/580. About music, well I just play the guitar as an amateur, nothing serious. The reason I was considering the trash can is just for aestethics purposes, you know it is an iconic product, think of it like the G4 Cube. Actually, if I'll decide to buy one, is because of its capability to retain value over time, probably I will also end up not selling this actual hackintosh. In any case, like probably a lot of people here, I'll buy the next Apple Silicon desktop and that will become my main machine.

1) Titan Ridge - a) I flashed the card with @CaseySJ "GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin" firmware. 2) I installed the TTR on slot2 3) I activated the related BIOS section 4) I edited the DROM and created the SSDT-TBOLT3.aml
View attachment 486145

View attachment 486146

View attachment 486147

2) when the monitor goes into standby, moving the mouse or digit something on the keyboard don't not wake the monitor until after several attempts ...

For point 2. --> https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/usb/misc/keyboard.html

Meantime, after three days of uninterrupted operation, I had a KP :banghead:

Schermata 2020-08-29 alle 11.27.02.png

View attachment 486145

View attachment 486146

View attachment 486147

I have sometime this problem without flashed Titan Ridge : maybe graphic issue.

Meantime, after three days of uninterrupted operation, I had a KP :banghead:

View attachment 486154
Maybe you need :
- To repair permissions
- To rebuild kextcache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back