Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
These two settings below are grayed out for me and why set Num Lock to Disabled does it cause a problem during boot or after boot if Enabled?

b.) AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset: "3"
c.) AVX-512 Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset: "2"

You type them in

Just flashed 3202 firmware for ws sage, and seems that they didn't fixed MSR unlocking. I still need to use SSDT-X299-CascadeLakeFix.aml. Tried to boot without him, but kernel hanged during boot. Even enabling OC's AppleCpuPmCfgLock & AppleXcpmCfgLock didn't helped.

Just flashed 3202 firmware for ws sage, and seems that they didn't fixed MSR unlocking. I still need to use SSDT-X299-CascadeLakeFix.aml. Tried to boot without him, but kernel hanged during boot. Even enabling OC's AppleCpuPmCfgLock & AppleXcpmCfgLock didn't helped.

You still need SSDT-AWAC or RTC0. The 3000 series BIOS added the AWAC device. the MSR lock fix was in regarding to patching it with UEFITool or enabling those two locks.

I finally installed Catalina and ... wow ... everything went right on the first try !!! I would like to thank you all and in particular @djlild7hina and @izo1 for your support.
now I am trying to tune the beast and here the doubts begin again...

1) my PCIe devices are
SLOT 1 Radeon VII
SLOT 2 Titan Ridge
SLOT 3 HighPoint RocketRAID 2840A controller (16xSATA max)
SLOT 4 WiFi/BT card
SLOT 5 HighPoint 7101A-1 4 x NVMe controller
SLOT 6 2 x USB 3.0 card (the only one present on the motherboard I used to connect a USB hub ...)
TB was flashed ad now I have to edit DROM
HighPoint card in SLOT 5 is a 16x controller, but the system sees it as 8x. Moreover, the RAID I installed (2 x Sabrent Rocket Q 4TB = 8TB) works much slower than expected. Is there something that I have to do with OpenCore settings? Or with BIOS settings?
More generally, I still have difficulty understanding how to set the right values for "DeviceProperties" for my specific hack. About this, I read a few times the Dortania guide and the Acidanthera PDF too, but the "DeviceProperties" section seems to be related only to iGPUs and to audio settings ...

2) my system NVMe SSDs (2 x Sabrent Rocket 1TB each one) are placed in M2_1 (macOS) and M2_2 (Windows 10)
M2_1 slot turned out to be the fastest one. I tried to clone the Catalina SSD to one SSD on the HighPoint NVMe RAID controller. It worked fine, but it was much slower than the same SSD put in M2_1 slot and so I reverse to 1st solution. Frankly I don't know how to interpret these differences in performance, considering my mobo has 48 lines ...

I finally installed Catalina and ... wow ... everything went right on the first try !!! I would like to thank you all and in particular @djlild7hina and @izo1 for your support.
now I am trying to tune the beast and here the doubts begin again...

1) my PCIe devices are
SLOT 1 Radeon VII
SLOT 2 Titan Ridge
SLOT 3 HighPoint RocketRAID 2840A controller (16xSATA max)
SLOT 4 WiFi/BT card
SLOT 5 HighPoint 7101A-1 4 x NVMe controller
SLOT 6 2 x USB 3.0 card (the only one present on the motherboard I used to connect a USB hub ...)
TB was flashed ad now I have to edit DROM
HighPoint card in SLOT 5 is a 16x controller, but the system sees it as 8x. Moreover, the RAID I installed (2 x Sabrent Rocket Q 4TB = 8TB) works much slower than expected. Is there something that I have to do with OpenCore settings? Or with BIOS settings?
More generally, I still have difficulty understanding how to set the right values for "DeviceProperties" for my specific hack. About this, I read a few times the Dortania guide and the Acidanthera PDF too, but the "DeviceProperties" section seems to be related only to iGPUs and to audio settings ...

2) my system NVMe SSDs (2 x Sabrent Rocket 1TB each one) are placed in M2_1 (macOS) and M2_2 (Windows 10)
M2_1 slot turned out to be the fastest one. I tried to clone the Catalina SSD to one SSD on the HighPoint NVMe RAID controller. It worked fine, but it was much slower than the same SSD put in M2_1 slot and so I reverse to 1st solution. Frankly I don't know how to interpret these differences in performance, considering my mobo has 48 lines ...

The pcie lane allocation will drop depending how many cards are populated. Refer to the motherboard page on ASUS site or the motherboard manual. Since you have 6 slots filled it'll drop to 16x/8x/8x/8x/8x/8x/8x. The vertical M.2 used 4 PCIe lanes while the one on the bottom is thru the chipset.

Device properties usually can be left alone unless you want to populate the PCI page. It's useful in some cases like defining the audio layout to avoid an additional boot flag. Look at @izo1 efi as an example.

Moreover, the RAID I installed (2 x Sabrent Rocket Q 4TB = 8TB) works much slower than expected. Is there something that I have to do with OpenCore settings? Or with BIOS settings?

You did Apple software RAID? It sounds like you created one with the two M.2 slots on the motherboard. As @djlild7hina said, the bottom one is on the chipset whereas the other is on the CPU. You need both on CPU-connected PCI-e for a fast SSD RAID. I'd recommend moving the SSD that's in the PCH slot to the PCI-e that has the Wifi card now, using an M.2 adapter card, and then going to M.2 wifi that's installed in a motherboard slot.

edit: oh, or! another solution that's pretty nifty: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MCL16M8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

You did Apple software RAID? It sounds like you created one with the two M.2 slots on the motherboard. As @djlild7hina said, the bottom one is on the chipset whereas the other is on the CPU. You need both on CPU-connected PCI-e for a fast SSD RAID. I'd recommend moving the SSD that's in the PCH slot to the PCI-e that has the Wifi card now, using an M.2 adapter card, and then going to M.2 wifi that's installed in a motherboard slot.

edit: oh, or! another solution that's pretty nifty: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MCL16M8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

That's pretty cool! wonder how much power it supports tho and if it can charge ipads or powered usb drives

For now I'm still puzzled with the Radeon Pro devices id :

Code:
7310    Navi 10 [Radeon Pro W5700X]
7312    Navi 10 [Radeon Pro W5700]
731f    Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT]
7340    Navi 14 [Radeon RX 5500/5500M / Pro 5500M]
7341    Navi 14 [Radeon Pro W5500]
7347    Navi 14 [Radeon Pro W5500M]
734f    Navi 14 [Radeon Pro W5300M]
7360    Navi 12 [Radeon Pro 5600M]

For example 73101002 Navi 10 Radeon Pro W5700X corresponds to MacPro 7,1 Radeon Pro W5700X MPX module, but not present in the AMD10000controller.kext :?: on Big Sur...

But we can find these devices on the AMDRadeonX6000.kext :

Code:
<string>AMDRadeonX6000_AMDNavi14GraphicsAccelerator</string>
            <key>IODVDBundleName</key>
            <string>AMDRadeonVADriver2</string>
………………

key>IOPCIMatch</key>
            <string>0x73101002 0x73121002 0x73181002 0x73191002 0x731A1002 0x731B1002 0x731F1002</string>
……………..

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
            <string>0x73401002 0x73411002 0x73431002 0x73471002 0x734F1002</string>

Last edited:
You can see here #27 and #3 also #89 in this thread, and soon I will link my repo on Github.

just finished experimenting with efi from your post
first i’ve booted already installed catalina - cursor is lagging and system not booting without whatevergreen+pikera
next step - i’ve installed latest big sur
the same situation - cursor is lagging and big sur didn’t start without whatevergreen+pikera
with old vega64 all works without a problems :(((

just finished experimenting with efi from your post
first i’ve booted already installed catalina - cursor is lagging and system not booting without whatevergreen+pikera
next step - i’ve installed latest big sur
the same situation - cursor is lagging and big sur didn’t start without whatevergreen+pikera
with old vega64 all works without a problems :(((
for now :
Just tried with :
build 1 : MacPro 7,1 SMBIOS + RX 570 without WEG : boot OK ( not boot arg)
build 3 : iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS + RX 560 with WEG : boot OK ( not boot arg) [ if no WEG no boot]
Maybe I’ll try a fresh install with my build 2 with VEGA 56 and see what happen...
But I don’t have Radeon Pro W5500 for test.

Works nice with my LG Ultra HD

Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 22.58.54.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back