Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today Amazon should deliver an M-Audio Air 192/6 to my door, I bought it to replace my old little USB preamp for my guitar. Hopefully the KP will not be present on USB interface, but I'll keep watching this on future betas.

Generally speaking, it's still correct now to say that Z390 (maybe Z490, too) is a better suitable and more compatible/stable platform for hacks with iMac SMBIOS than X299 on iMacPro1,1 / MacPro7,1 ? 10700K seems to be a little bad boy at his price point ;-)
View attachment 485994
Sorry: I cannot agree with this statement.
Because for professional digital studio audio processing you need a lot PCie lanes that only X299 platform offers actually 44 or 48 and also a lot of CPU cores ( 18 C/36 T) , except C622 chipset with Intel Xeon W. ( Z490 is a good platform : but only 24 PCie lanes and CPU only max 10C/20T). [ you are joking perhaps :) ]

@Ellybz maybe should explain in more detail how he works everyday. ;)

Otherwise the M-Audio product you show is an affordable and good product.

Last edited:
Spent two days trying to setup AMD Radeon PRO W5500 videocard (unsuccessfully). It works, but performance is poor compared to vega 64 (visible on os x interface effects), but the biggest problem is that cursor freezes for a 1/10s every two seconds. It's really annoying.

Sorry: I cannot agree with this statement.
Because for professional digital studio audio processing you need a lot PCie lanes that only X299 platform offers actually 44 or 48 and also a lot of CPU cores ( 18 C/36 T) , except C 622 chipset with Intel Xeon W. ( Z490 is a good platform : but only 24 PCie lanes and CPU only 10C/20T). [ you are joking perhaps :) ]

Perhaps @Ellybz maybe should explain in more detail how he works everyday. ;)

Otherwise the M-Audio product you show is an affordable and good product.

Yep I know you're totally right, X299 is obviously a superior platform but actually I don't do any kind of pro audio work, just playin with guitars and recording, that's why a 150€ audio interface is more than enough for me (and a 10700k should be too).

Anyway I was speaking about compatibility / stability / hassle-free of the 2 platforms regarding hackintoshes.

Anyone here got a spare American made Fender Strat? :p

Spent two days trying to setup AMD Radeon PRO W5500 videocard (unsuccessfully). It works, but performance is poor compared to vega 64 (visible on os x interface effects), but the biggest problem is that cursor freezes for a 1/10s every two seconds. It's really annoying.
Very annoying because AMD Radeon W5500 should be compatible on Big Sur and with MacPro 7,1 SMBIOS :maybe your settings to adjust.

5500 is newer technology but definitely slower than Vega 64, but your mouse freezing is not a power related issue. was the mouse bad with Vega? I suppose not, so it should be some kind of incompatibility between macOS and W5500.

5500 is newer technology but definitely slower than Vega 64, but your mouse freezing is not a power related issue. was the mouse bad with Vega? I suppose not, so it should be some kind of incompatibility between macOS and W5500.

I'm using magic trackpad 2 connected with usb. It's work perfectly with VEGA64.
I'm using MacPro 7,1 SMBIOS (but also tried iMacPro1,1 but this not resolved cursor problems).

PS. Sorry i've maked post to wrong forum. I'm using latest Catalina, not a Big Sur.

Last edited:
I'm using magic trackpad 2 connected with usb. It's work perfectly with VEGA64.
I'm using MacPro 7,1 SMBIOS (but also tried iMacPro1,1 but this not resolved cursor problems).

PS. Sorry i've maked post to wrong forum. I'm using latest Catalina, not a Big Sur.

Start trying a wired mouse, but I don't think it's an usb issue. The point is to understand if it's actually the pointer that freezes or the whole GUI (I bet the second)

Start trying a wired mouse, but I don't think it's an usb issue. The point is to understand if it's actually the pointer that freezes or the whole GUI (I bet the second)

Problem not with USB, because i've swapped GPU with my old Vega64 and problem disappeared.
With W5500 video in browser playing smoothly without any freezes.
Problem is only with cursor.
BTW Without Whatevergreen system crashes on start. I can boot only with agdpmod=pikera. May be it's whatevergreen related problem.

Problem not with USB, because i've swapped GPU with my old Vega64 and problem disappeared.
With W5500 video in browser playing smoothly without any freezes.
Problem is only with cursor.
BTW Without Whatevergreen system crashes on start. I can boot only with agdpmod=pikera. May be it's whatevergreen related problem.

you should not need WEG + agdpmod=pikera with MacPro7,1 and Navi card. Really don't know what could be wrong.

you should not need WEG + agdpmod=pikera with MacPro7,1 and Navi card. Really don't know what could be wrong.

If i boot with whatevergreen but without pikera - i see blank black screen, as most people with navi cards. Only with pikera video output works correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back