Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
My post seems to have been removed so I'm trying again:

Dear friends, trying to migrate from Clover to Open Core before trying to install Big Sur.

So far I've managed to boot into Catalina with Open Core, but the system randomly reboots (kernel panic I suppose). I've notice this particularly happens when trying to open the font list in Photoshop or when in the final stages of Geeckbench... has any of you experienced this ?

I've also tried to install Big Sur, but the installation stalls at one point (check image attached), I'm also attaching my OC folder so you guys can check it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, please find my configuration below:

CPU : i9-9900x
Mobo : Gigabyte Designare EXII x299
RAM : 32 Gb
GPU : Sapphire Vega 64 on slot 1

Thank you,

A.

View attachment 495605

Maybe you can see on this dedicated thread according to your motherboard : #1 ;)

Last edited:
Success......

OpenCore 6.0.3
Intel i9-10980XE
AsRock x299e itx-ac
Hi,

nice build!

Would you mind sharing your EFI-Folder?

I am using the same board (in a NCase M1) and although it boots with OpenCore i wasn't able to adapt my old clover-stuff to get such a nice and correct PCI-Device listing as yours.

Maybe you can see on this dedicated thread according to your motherboard : #1 ;)

Hey guys, I succeeded on the Gigabyte Designare EX x299.

I basically followed the Dortania website guide for the Skylake-X CPUs with some exceptions taken from a guide I found on YouTube for that motherboard.

The kernel panics where happening in Windows too so I don't really know what that was, to make them go away I had to flash the GPU and the Motherboard firmwares with latest versions, that did the trick.

Now only thing is that I sense maybe my configuration isn't totally complete, Thunderbolt seems to be missing as Trim for the SSD's and I wonder if I have to list any PCI device in particular or anything else.

I'm leaving here my OC folder in case it might help someone with the same board, of course change the System ID's to new ones.

A.

Attachments

• OC.zip
    2 MB · Views: 126
I think you should better switch to OC , the latest Bios 3105 is more stable.
OC is required to install Big Sur for now.
I use the Asus Prime X299 Dexule 3105 bios, 10.15.7 works fine, but 11.0.1 stuck in "PCI Configuration begin". so why?

Last edited:
Hi Loloflatsix (Lolo), I see that you said to use 3105 BIOS, but I'm currently using version: 1503 x64 (08/03/2018). I was able to update everything from the beta to the full version of macOS 11.0.1 with no issues. What makes version 3105 better? Also, I just checked the Asus site and they now have version 3201. Should I use that one? Lastly, in your BIOS setup does anything change or should I leave it as you have instructed (on the first page of this post) and just use that BIOS setup? Let me know what you can. Thanks.

macOS Big Sur installation steps :

Reminder post #1 & post #2

1/ Launch directly install macOS Big Sur if you have a previous public beta installed - Open Core 0.6.3 is required

View attachment 495129

2/ Select the disk "Big Sur"

3.1 / Wait during the installation process until your computer restart

View attachment 495130

View attachment 495131

3.2 / First reboot : at gui boot screen select Macintosh HD (not Big Sur) : the installation process will continue in verbose mode mode during about 4 or 5 minutes (lots of verbose pages ...)

View attachment 495132

3.3 / Second reboot : at gui boot screen select Big Sur : installation process will continue with Apple Logo about 2 or 3 minutes the progress bar will be short

3.4 / Third reboot : at gui boot screen select Big Sur : the installation first ends in verbose mode and after the log screen will appear: you are done

( Not tested on X299 build yet with USB installer only in my old H87 build but it must also work for our system)
@Loloflatsix I tried using your EFI to install Big Sur (from Catalina) on my Asrock X299 Creator, but I couldn't get pass the second reboot (same problem with my original version of the EFI). This is what I get before it reboots back to the same spot:

Attachments

• Second reboot.pdf
    16.3 MB · Views: 69
@Loloflatsix I tried using your EFI to install Big Sur (from Catalina) on my Asrock X299 Creator, but I couldn't get pass the second reboot (same problem with my original version of the EFI). This is what I get before it reboots back to the same spot:
We are on the same boat here. I'm struggling exactly at the same point.
Obviously it's because I have the same mobo .

I'm suspecting a NVRAM issue.
did you succeed to have NVRAM working with catalina ?

No problem :

I can choose both ;)

View attachment 494103

:thumbup:
@Loloflatsix : you previously didn't answer. By choosing one startup disk, you can actually boot on it with the Restart button ?
I keep searching ;)
EDIT 1
I tried use the "Install macOS Big Sur Beta" in Catalina's Application Folder directly to my "BigSur" SSD ➧ Same result
EDIT 2
I tried with 3 GPUs : Nvidia GT710, AMD RX5600XT &AMD RX5700XT

Last edited:
We are on the same boat here. I'm struggling exactly at the same point.
Obviously it's because I have the same mobo .

I'm suspecting a NVRAM issue.
did you succeed to have NVRAM working with catalina ?

@Loloflatsix : you previously didn't answer. By choosing one startup disk, you can actually boot on it with the Restart button ?
I keep searching ;)
EDIT 1
I tried use the "Install macOS Big Sur Beta" in Catalina's Application Folder directly to my "BigSur" SSD ➧ Same result
EDIT 2
I tried with 3 GPUs : Nvidia GT710, AMD RX5600XT &AMD RX5700XT

Yes of course I can restart on the disk of my choice: Big Sur or Catalina or Windows
Then the computer shuts down and reboots, but the only requirement to reboot to the selected disk as far as I know is that this disk should be set as the priority of the boot disk over the bios.
Sorry but I don't understand where you want to end up here my friend.
The only thing I know since the first BS beta : I can not install Big Sur directly from Catalina or Mojave by select another disk : don't work.

Hi.

So I've made no progress ever since I tried to boot Big Sur Beta 4 back in July. In fact, I've gone backward as it no longer boots.

I've updated to OC 0.6.4; upgraded all the kext and efi drivers.
I can boot the installer just fine.

But when I boot the install partition after the first reboot, I see about 10 lines of text and it immediately reboot and then go into the recovery partition; I don't have the time to read what is displayed unfortunately.

I tried to tweak things following various troubleshooting on https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/extras/big-sur with no luck.

I read about an early reboot which could be fixed by setting the AvoidRuntimeDefrag quirk, but no dice either.

Could someone have a look at my config and see if there's anything obviously broken in there.

I can boot 10.15.7 just fine. Just Big Sur is giving me problem.

Attachments

• OC.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 74
Hi.

So I've made no progress ever since I tried to boot Big Sur Beta 4 back in July. In fact, I've gone backward as it no longer boots.

I've updated to OC 0.6.4; upgraded all the kext and efi drivers.
I can boot the installer just fine.

But when I boot the install partition after the first reboot, I see about 10 lines of text and it immediately reboot and then go into the recovery partition; I don't have the time to read what is displayed unfortunately.

I tried to tweak things following various troubleshooting on https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/extras/big-sur with no luck.

I read about an early reboot which could be fixed by setting the AvoidRuntimeDefrag quirk, but no dice either.

Could someone have a look at my config and see if there's anything obviously broken in there.

I can boot 10.15.7 just fine. Just Big Sur is giving me problem.

I suspect you don't use the latest OC :
As you can see on the screen shot below : (left yours right mine)
Under kernel / quirks : there is no ExtendBTFeatureFlags but DummyPowerManagement (no more used now)
But the structure of your EFI file is close to mine shared a few post before (same I used on my Prime Deluxe).

Screenshot 2020-11-14 at 11.19.27.png

Also under NVRAM there are some different entries and missing csr-active-config <00000000>

Screenshot 2020-11-14 at 11.29.15.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back