Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-DELUXE
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
RX 6900XT
@djlild7hina I'm in. I haven't tested fully because it's getting late. It's very laggy though. I'm guessing that's because I still have the 1070ti plugged in. I didn't expect it to even display!

Am I right in thinking that I can just plug in a 6800XT or 6900XT and it'll work out of the box?

Thanks again for your help...!
Well, getting the 6900XT worked for me. Also, I have 3 x Asus 28" 4K monitors that work side, by side, by side on just ONE card and it works perfectly. So no issues there. I'm sure the 6800XT would work just as good. I just needed more RAM and performance because of those 3 high-end monitors.

Motherboard
asus x299 Deluxe
CPU
i9 7900x
Graphics
6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Well, getting the 6900XT worked for me. Also, I have 3 x Asus 28" 4K monitors that work side, by side, by side on just ONE card and it works perfectly. So no issues there. I'm sure the 6800XT would work just as good. I just needed more RAM and performance because of those 3 high-end monitors.
Yes without display acceleration it'll be very laggy. Assuming you're on MacPro7,1 I dont think there is anything else you need to do. I know there are versions of the 6900xt that need to be spoofed in order to work with macOS
Details are in this thread
The GPU is in the post now. Hopefully, it'll be with me Monday or Tuesday.

I did a bit more testing with the install using the 1070ti. Initial observations are:

1. Applications open with much less lag than on High Sierra.
2. Temperatures seemed higher on idle. Could this be because the CPU is doing work that the GPU would usually do? Any other reasons you can think of?
3. Intel Power Gadget shows zero for all readings. (I've been looking at temperatures displayed on the MB). Do you know why this might be?

Motherboard
asus x299 Deluxe
CPU
i9 7900x
Graphics
6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
The GPU is in the post now. Hopefully, it'll be with me Monday or Tuesday.

I did a bit more testing with the install using the 1070ti. Initial observations are:

1. Applications open with much less lag than on High Sierra.
2. Temperatures seemed higher on idle. Could this be because the CPU is doing work that the GPU would usually do? Any other reasons you can think of?
3. Intel Power Gadget shows zero for all readings. (I've been looking at temperatures displayed on the MB). Do you know why this might be?
@djlild7hina @tucoboy ok - so the 6900xt arrive today. Short story is that it's not working. In fact High Sierra with the 1070ti is no longer working either. Here's what happened:

1. I plugged in the 6900xt and booted up. It got stuck with a message on the MB saying Detect HDD
2. I reset CMOS following suggestions online
3. I could boot into Windows with the new card, but got a message saying 'this version of os x is not supported on this mac', or something like that
4. I check the bios settings with those at the start of this thread and everything is correct (I think)
5.I put back in the 1070ti which I used to install Big Sur and was running correctly. I can't boot into sig sur or high sierra. The message on Big sur is the same as using the 6900xt - 'this version of os x is not supported on this mac', or something like that. On high sierra, I'm getting the message in the attached screenshot right after selecting the boot drive in clover.

Do you have any ideas what's happening here?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Attachments

• 20211102_190522.jpg
    20211102_190522.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
Motherboard
asus x299 Deluxe
CPU
i9 7900x
Graphics
6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
@djlild7hina @tucoboy ok - so the 6900xt arrive today. Short story is that it's not working. In fact High Sierra with the 1070ti is no longer working either. Here's what happened:

1. I plugged in the 6900xt and booted up. It got stuck with a message on the MB saying Detect HDD
2. I reset CMOS following suggestions online
3. I could boot into Windows with the new card, but got a message saying 'this version of os x is not supported on this mac', or something like that
4. I check the bios settings with those at the start of this thread and everything is correct (I think)
5.I put back in the 1070ti which I used to install Big Sur and was running correctly. I can't boot into sig sur or high sierra. The message on Big sur is the same as using the 6900xt - 'this version of os x is not supported on this mac', or something like that. On high sierra, I'm getting the message in the attached screenshot right after selecting the boot drive in clover.

Do you have any ideas what's happening here?

Thanks in advance,

Nick
ok - so I'm back into High Sierra. I think it was just a BIOD setting I'd missed.

Motherboard
asus x299 Deluxe
CPU
i9 7900x
Graphics
6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
@tedyun , @CaseySJ, @djlild7hina @tucoboy ok - so I'm (or was) back up and running with the 1070ti in High Sierra. I must have been missing something in the BIOS settings. However, I can't run the 6900 XT in Big Sur.

I retried installing the 6900 XT. When I plugged it in, I got the same Detect HDD in the MB display. It wouldn't load BIOS.

I reset CMOS.

Changed the BIOS back to those at the start of this thread. I got the same Detect HDD in the MB display.

Do you know what's happening here?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme
CPU
i9-7940X
Graphics
2 X VEGA 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@tedyun , @CaseySJ, @djlild7hina @tucoboy ok - so I'm (or was) back up and running with the 1070ti in High Sierra. I must have been missing something in the BIOS settings. However, I can't run the 6900 XT in Big Sur.

I retried installing the 6900 XT. When I plugged it in, I got the same Detect HDD in the MB display. It wouldn't load BIOS.

I reset CMOS.

Changed the BIOS back to those at the start of this thread. I got the same Detect HDD in the MB display.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Check your bios settings here ( mandatory Above 4G decode enable and CSM disable) : X299 Big Sur Support #1

( You need OC 0.7.4 edit carefully according to OpenCore Install Guide and your configuration )

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-X299-Designare EX
CPU
i9-9960X
Graphics
RX 560
On X99 and X299 motherboards it may not be necessary to modify the DMAR SSDT. Simply try the first 3 bullets in the following post:
After rebooting, check if AppleVTD appears near the top of IORegistryExplorer. Also check if WiFi and Ethernet are still able to connect (i.e. actually connect to a network).
@CaseySJ and @yosoyoco I have a question about the GA-X299-Designare EX and Thunderbolt NHI / Networking support. Running 0.7.5.

I have a 100% working EFI for Catalina (attached), including NHI for the Antelope Orion Studio 2017 which I'm trying to support in Big Sur.

The problem lies in Big Sur. With the same EFI WiFi and Ethernet drop out. I'm missing one reference where CaseySJ talked about this, can't find it.

I enabled AppleVTD by enabling Vt-D and disabling the DisableIOMapper quirk. It's recognized in IORegistryExplorer in both 10.15 and 11.6

So, I came to this point by already disabling all the unchecked kexts and ACPI SSDT and patches in the attached EFI. I mean to say the same problem exists with all these on enabled for Big Sur.

Except when I add the SSDT-DMAR for Z390 Designare to the mix. It fixes the dropping networking in 11.6 but disables parts of the Antelope interface, which makes it "undetected" (it shows up with errors in verbose, though). This is in the attached EFI configuration which works for Catalina.

When I enable all disabled ACPI SSDT and Patches in attached EFI, Big Sur has no networking drops and shows a lot of Antelope news in verbose, but in the and can't see the Orion Studio 2017.

I feel like I'm close. There seems a need to restrict the loading of the SSDT-DMAR (at least the Z390 one) to Big Sur, because it breaks my goal in Catalina.

So my question really is whether you could have a new look at the X299 Designare EX SSDT-DMAR.aml which I uploaded previously, to see whether it can be fixed properly, if that is what makes the difference. Only doing the first three bullets of the Z390 Designare procedure doesn't cut it in 11.6 apparently. Am I missing something, or is this where we should look for a solution?

I looked at the DMAR editing procedure but couldn't figure out how to patch this one, to be honest.

Cheers!

Attachments

• DMAR X299 Designare-EX.aml
    232 bytes · Views: 17
  • 0.7.5 X299 DesEX (100% Catalina).zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-DELUXE
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
RX 6900XT

I reset CMOS.

Thanks in advance,

Nick
Hey MRT, I was thinking since you have the same original version Prime X299-DELUXE (ver. 1) mobo and AMD 6900XT GPU, then why don't you use my EFI file that is now running OC 0.7.4 and make sure you set up the BIOS exactly the way Loloflax and djlild7hina have instructed (link provided below):

and you should be up and running fine... maybe. Can't hurt right? I would try it. Just download my EFI from page 251 / Post #2510. Hope it helps.

Motherboard
asus x299 Deluxe
CPU
i9 7900x
Graphics
6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Hey MRT, I was thinking since you have the same original version Prime X299-DELUXE (ver. 1) mobo and AMD 6900XT GPU, then why don't you use my EFI file that is now running OC 0.7.4 and make sure you set up the BIOS exactly the way Loloflax and djlild7hina have instructed (link provided below):

and you should be up and running fine... maybe. Can't hurt right? I would try it. Just download my EFI from page 251 / Post #2510. Hope it helps.
@tedyun , @CaseySJ, @djlild7hina @tucoboy, @Loloflatsix

Thanks for the reply. I'll try this. The trouble I'm having at the moment is that the HDD doesn't seem to be recognised after I've updated the BIOS settings according to the page you sent. I tried again this morning, being very careful with everything, but got the same outcome.

I had a search around the forum last night for information and actually found one of your posts where you seemed to be having the same issue. At the time, you were on BIOS v1503 (which is what I'm currenlty on). I also noted that you upgraded to a later version some time afterwards. Could this be my problem?

The thing is I'm worried about not being able to get back into High Sierra on the 1070ti as I need that for work. Could updating the BIOS mess that up?

@Loloflatsix Thanks also for the reply. I just wanted to confirm that I'm using OC 0.7.4

Cheers,

Nick

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus Z690 ProArt Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

I feel like I'm close. There seems a need to restrict the loading of the SSDT-DMAR (at least the Z390 one) to Big Sur, because it breaks my goal in Catalina.
Quick question (from my iPad, so I haven’t looked at config.plist):
  • In ACPI —> Delete section, are you dropping the standard DMAR table?