i9-7980XE
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I have a question about X299 motherboards.
As of today which is the best option as X299 motherboard?
Is the Gigabyte x299x Designare 10g rev 1 a viable option or not?

Thanks a lot.
I changed my board to a Asus Sage x299 10G because it had NVRAM support. I'd look for a board that has this ... just makes life so much easier.

Motherboard
Huawei Matebook D
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I changed my board to a Asus Sage x299 10G because it had NVRAM support. I'd look for a board that has this ... just makes life so much easier.
I did use once the Asus Sage x299 NON 10G model. Great board.
BUT it has one ridiculous flaw. No USB 2.0 internal header for the broadcom native bluetooth. I had to connect it through some funny internal hub or routing external USB 2.0 ports.
Does the 2 x 10G Ethernet works well?
It also doesn't have integrated Thunderbolt 3.

How about the PRIME X299-DELUXE II?
- Does Thunderbolt 3 work well?
- Does the Aquantia 5Gbps LAN work well?
- Does the integrated Intel WiFi work well replacing the broadcom?

Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-DELUXE
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
RX 6900XT
Intel VT-d can be enabled in the bios if the OC quirk DisableIoMapper is set to True.
Thank you. Forgive my ignorance, where would I find the "OC quirk DisableIoMapper" to change it to "True?"

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-DELUXE
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
RX 6900XT
Well, After installing the 6900 XT, I'm experiencing issues with startup as it's constantly giving me:

CODE: 20 Detect Memory

Now I know I don't have any issues with my memory, as it's been working fine before. So does anybody know what the issue might be? Could it be a BIOS setting that isn't set correctly? I've tested out each stick of memory on my identical backup system and every stick of RAM is working just fine.

In the meantime, I have to force shut it down and restart and then exit BIOS without saving to get it to start up properly each and every time. I hope there is a way around this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Thank you. Forgive my ignorance, where would I find the "OC quirk DisableIoMapper" to change it to "True?"
set: Kernel -> Quirks -> DisableIoMapper to True in your OpenCore config.plist.

Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-Deluxe II
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I did use once the Asus Sage x299 NON 10G model. Great board.
BUT it has one ridiculous flaw. No USB 2.0 internal header for the broadcom native bluetooth. I had to connect it through some funny internal hub or routing external USB 2.0 ports.
Does the 2 x 10G Ethernet works well?
It also doesn't have integrated Thunderbolt 3.

How about the PRIME X299-DELUXE II?
- Does Thunderbolt 3 work well?
- Does the Aquantia 5Gbps LAN work well?
- Does the integrated Intel WiFi work well replacing the broadcom?
PRIME X299-DELUXE II

Thunderbolt 3 WORKS!
Aquantia 5Gbps LAN not work for me (i have 10gb asus card)
integrated Intel WiFi work well replacing the broadcom? (i dont need WIFI so can't help)

Motherboard
Prime X299-A II
CPU
i9 9980XE
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
@djlild7hina mate, just a quick question: afayk all asus bioses for all models have solved MSR Lock issue? recent ones let you disable it and actually let you boot? what about NVRAM? I found a man interested in my Prime X299-A for a really high price and here in Italy is not difficult to find recent X299 Asuses with better VRMs. I would be able to buy even a C621 64L Sage for 400€!!! That's Crazy! I'd have to buy a chinese Xeon-W anyway, in west they're really expensive. So, to sum up, NVRAM and MSR Locks issues are solved in vanilla UEFI bioses for Asus boards in X299 and C621 lines?

Obviously everyone feel free to answer, I'm not interested in "Prime" boards, if I have to change maybe it's worth it to make an extra step and go to Sage Workstation cards?! Basically I need a new, X299 (or C621 ihihih), asus board that doesn't need to patch bios and have working native NVRAM which has als the internal usb header for BT/WiFi.

Motherboard
ASUS Pro WS X299 Sage II
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
Radeon Pro W5500
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@djlild7hina mate, just a quick question: afayk all asus bioses for all models have solved MSR Lock issue? recent ones let you disable it and actually let you boot? what about NVRAM? I found a man interested in my Prime X299-A for a really high price and here in Italy is not difficult to find recent X299 Asuses with better VRMs. I would be able to buy even a C621 64L Sage for 400€!!! That's Crazy! I'd have to buy a chinese Xeon-W anyway, in west they're really expensive. So, to sum up, NVRAM and MSR Locks issues are solved in vanilla UEFI bioses for Asus boards in X299 and C621 lines?

Obviously everyone feel free to answer, I'm not interested in "Prime" boards, if I have to change maybe it's worth it to make an extra step and go to Sage Workstation cards?! Basically I need a new, X299 (or C621 ihihih), asus board that doesn't need to patch bios and have working native NVRAM which has als the internal usb header for BT/WiFi.

I have no experience with C621 so cant comment but for X299 yes it's solved and native NVRAM

Motherboard
ASUS Pro WS X299 Sage II
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
Radeon Pro W5500
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Also Monterey public beta is out! I went ahead and started a thread here. We'll see if I regret keeping it up to date...:lol:

Motherboard
Prime X299-A II
CPU
i9 9980XE
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have no experience with C621 so cant comment but for X299 yes it's solved and native NVRAM
So basically every Asus X299 board has working MSR no need to patch firmware? And every board has working NVRAM with no need to do strange things to install / update macOS? That’s great!!! This means one can choose an asus board just for personal tastes? This way a general EFI folder should be able to boot every Asus, correct?

Also Monterey public beta is out! I went ahead and started a thread here. We'll see if I regret keeping it up to date...:lol:

Oh I already see sleepless nights ahead! For all of us! Would be really great to share a beer someway somewhere everybody anyone thought of a FaceTime beer? Would be funny!