Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember the throttle setting is for prolonged use, if you are doing benchmarks you can turn it off temporarily.

Throttling in general is not a bad thing, all CPUs throttle and since these are unlocked CPUs we prolong the life by throttling it to factory specs.
Hey Izo, what basic easier steps (that you can explain to me), do I need to perform in BIOS to OC my 7980XE and 7960X CPUs? Mind you, I'm just looking to boost the CPU safely, without going crazy spending many hours tweaking it. Whatever input on that would be great! Thanks.

Hey Izo, what basic easier steps (that you can explain to me), do I need to perform in BIOS to OC my 7980XE and 7960X CPUs? Mind you, I'm just looking to boost the CPU safely, without going crazy spending many hours tweaking it. Whatever input on that would be great! Thanks.
Hello @tucoboy, with permission from @izo1

Each processor has a silicon and I think a voltage, and what I would do is start in the Bios:

Enable XMP
Asus Multicore Enhancement: Auto
AVX Instruction: 3
AVX-512: 2
CPU Core Ratio: Sync All Cores
* ALL-Core Ratio Limit: 42
CPU Core Voltage: Auto

* I have marked 42 because your processor accepts a temperature of 94º and with this OC (42) I do not think you will exceed it.

Save Bios and start Windows, you need the CPU-Z, Intel Power Gadget and Cinebench programs, and I use r15 for windows and r23 for mac. Open the CPU-Z and locate the "Core VID" box, then run Cinebench and look at the "CPU-Z Core VID2" box. This is the maximum voltage that your processor uses for the OC to 42. Restart Bios and in "AI Tweeker" go to "CPU Core Voltage" change to "Manual Mode" and in the box "CPU Core Voltage Override" write the voltage indicated by CPU-Z minus a few tenths, that is, if CPU-Z has shown you 1.180 you write 1.170, start up on Mac and do Cinebench and Geekbench tests with Intel Power Gadget turned on, so you will observe consumption in watts., temperature , etc ..., record results, then restart in Bios and lower the voltage again, for example 1.160 and restart. Remember that these are fictitious numbers, you must use as a reference the score that CPU-Z offers you as a reference. Do this to improve score and lower temperature, there will come a time when you lower voltage and lose score, it is also noticeable because when you run Cinebench (10 minute test) if you look at the Watts Consumption section of Intel Power Gadget, the lines Consumption presents irregularities, they are continuous in consumption, there are drops and bites, at this point you can see that it lacks voltage to maintain uniformity in consumption, there you have to go back to the previous result, at this point you have and there you have the voltage Optimal for an OC at 42. If the temperature does not reach the maximum temperature of your processor, you can repeat the whole process but with the OC at 43, be careful because setting the "CPU Core Voltage" in Auto with a higher OC , it can cause your processor to exceed the recommended temperature, and you would never exceed 1.300 of "CPU Core Voltage Override" By the way, do not trust the temperature of iStats, our motherboard has an OLED screen where If it indicates the temperature more precisely, pay attention to it.
Hope this helps and sorry for my English, it is translated from google, greetings ..

Last edited:
Hello,

I have a problem with Big sur 11.4 ( and 11.3). It starts correctly and is functional. But after about 1 minute it freezes, all is blocked.

My config:

Gigabyte X299X-DESIGNARE-10G-rev-1 ( Bios version F3f )
I9-10980XE
AMD Readon PRO w5700
SSD Nvme WD SN750
Corsair 4x32Go

OpenCore 0.7.0
ALL Kext are the latest versions

My Hackintosh with my EFI works perfectly on Big Sur 11.2.3.

But it was impossible for me to update from big sur 11.2.3 to Big sur 11.3 or 11.4 (the update stuck shortly after the first reboot)
So I installed 11.4 on a real mac and put the ssd in the hackintosh.

The hackintosh starts correctly and is functional. But after about 1 minute. It freezes, all is blocked.

Various info:
I tested with Big sur installed on a SSD Nvme on a m2 port and with Big sur on a SATA SSD 2.5 inch.
On my motherboard and Big sur 11.2.3 the Nvram is functional.
I have tested several other EFI that should work, but I still have the same problem. ( I'm afraid the problem is not with the EFI but with the motherboard or the bios)
I built my EFI following the Dortania guide. Made the SSDT files with the "manual" method ( but also test with the other methods )

I am a 3D artist and work for my own account ( on Mac, I have no choice).
But I have been looking for a solution to this problem for a month now. I have tried everything.
And so a month that I do not work.

I am desperate. I really need your help.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions.
Or another EFI for a Gigabyte X299X-DESIGNARE-10G that works with Big sur 11.4.
Has anyone ever run Big sur 11.4 correctly on the same motherboard as me? What version of the bios is he using?

I'm sorry if my English is bad. It is not my native language.

Help. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Edit:
I discovered that Mac OS does not crash completely.
If I run a stress test with CineBench the 3D rendering (CPU) continues. The mouse and the keyboard don't work anymore and the date and time of OSX stays blocked.
( I have not yet been able to do a USBmap ) but if I just lost the USB ports the date and time would not be blocked, no ?

1. My EFI:

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    31 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Of course in the BIOS, where else are you going to do it? You can do it in Windows with ASUS tools but I don't recommend it.

Hello,

I have a problem with Big on 11.4 ( and 11.3). It starts correctly and is functional. But after about 1 minute it freezes, all is blocked.

My config:

I9-10980XE
AMD PRO w5700
SSD Nvme WD SN750
Corsair 4x32Go

OpenCore 0.7.0

But it was impossible for me to update from big sur 11.2.3 to Big sur 11.3 or 11.4 (the update stuck shortly after the first reboot)

The hackintosh starts correctly and is functional. But after about 1 minute. It freezes, all is blocked.

Various info:
I tested with Big on installed on a SSD Nvme on a m2 port and with Big on on a SATA SSD 2.5 inch.
I have tested several other EFI that should work, but I still have the same problem. ( I'm afraid the problem is not with the EFI but with the motherboard or the bios)
I built my EFI following the Dortania guide. Made the SSDT files with the "manual" method ( but also test with the other methods )

But I have been looking for a solution to this problem for a month now. I have tried everything.

Or another EFI for a Gigabyte X299X-DESIGNARE-10G that works with Big on 11.4.
Has anyone ever run Big on 11.4 correctly on the same motherboard as me? What version of the bios is he using?

My EFI:

Hi,

I’d suggest posting in this thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-x299x-catalina-support.288625/page-80#post-2259912 since a lot of users in that thread have the same motherboard as you. good luck!

Hello,

I have a problem with Big sur 11.4 ( and 11.3). It starts correctly and is functional. But after about 1 minute it freezes, all is blocked.

My config:

I9-10980XE
AMD Readon PRO w5700
SSD Nvme WD SN750
Corsair 4x32Go

OpenCore 0.7.0

Various info:
I tested with Big sur installed on a SSD Nvme on a m2 port and with Big sur on a SATA SSD 2.5 inch.

Or another EFI for a Gigabyte X299X-DESIGNARE-10G that works with Big sur 11.4.
Has anyone ever run Big sur 11.4 correctly on the same motherboard as me? What version of the bios is he using?

1. My EFI:

Haven't looked at your EFI yet since I'm not at home, but a freeze is most likely GPU relataed. Do you have another GPU to test besides the w5700? Also try temporarily disabling WhateverGreen to see if the issue goes away.

Also the X299X variation of motherboards have minor differences/issues compared to the X299 ones.

Thank you. I have posted also on x299 catalina support

Anyone with the SAGE 10G have experience with using the GPU outside of Slot 1? I am going to be moving it from Slot 1 into another slot. Seems like Slot 5 is x16 and should be ok? Will be retubing the GPU.

Haven't looked at your EFI yet since I'm not at home, but a freeze is most likely GPU relataed. Do you have another GPU to test besides the w5700? Also try temporarily disabling WhateverGreen to see if the issue goes away.
I don't have an AMD GPU to test. Currently I have an Nvidia Quadro K5000. (If they are still supported. but I'm not sure)

I will test immediately by disabling whaterverGreen and test by changing the GPU slot

Thanks

Anyone with the SAGE 10G have experience with using the GPU outside of Slot 1? I am going to be moving it from Slot 1 into another slot. Seems like Slot 5 is x16 and should be ok? Will be retubing the GPU.

Yes, on Sage 10G i have the video card in slot 5 because otherwise it covers the slot 2 that i use for thunderbolt.
I've never had any problems: both with the Radeon VII and now with the 6900 XT. It works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back