Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Motherboard
MSI X299 PRO
CPU
I9 7940X
Graphics
GTX TITAN
I think you’ll need to check some BIOS settings, as I no longer have the board I can’t remember my exact setup, but with that EFI everything worked perfectly except for NVRAM. Even sleep/wake, shutdown etc.

have you tried following the guide here, this has always been my first port of call and describes many of the common problems like this?

There are many things that could be interfering with shutdown/sleep main culprits could be usb devices or gpu’s, without having the board anymore it’s difficult to remember exactly what my settings looked like I’m afraid.

EDIT: I just noticed in your profile "GTX TITAN" - are you running an AMD GPU as well? If not, that is very likely your problem. And if you are running an AMD GPU as well as your GTX TITAN you'll need to properly disable it with an SSDT or Device Properties, I've found SSDT to be more reliable.
i didn't use any AMD GPU,maybe is USB problem,because 4 USB 2.0 only can use one,3 can't use,but all USB 3.1 can use,thanks to help me!

Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-DELUXE
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
RX 6900XT
I watched a video online that showed two different places that I think might be where I would change the Thermal Throttling.

1) Ai Tweaker/External Digi+ Power Control/CPU Power Thermal Control (current setting is 125C)
2) Advanced/CPU Configuration/Maximum CPU Core Temperature. (current setting is on Auto)

So I'm trying to figure out which one it is? If you remember anything, please let me know what you can, thanks.

Last edited:
Motherboard
MSI X299 PRO
CPU
I9 7940X
Graphics
GTX TITAN
I think you’ll need to check some BIOS settings, as I no longer have the board I can’t remember my exact setup, but with that EFI everything worked perfectly except for NVRAM. Even sleep/wake, shutdown etc.

have you tried following the guide here, this has always been my first port of call and describes many of the common problems like this?

There are many things that could be interfering with shutdown/sleep main culprits could be usb devices or gpu’s, without having the board anymore it’s difficult to remember exactly what my settings looked like I’m afraid.

EDIT: I just noticed in your profile "GTX TITAN" - are you running an AMD GPU as well? If not, that is very likely your problem. And if you are running an AMD GPU as well as your GTX TITAN you'll need to properly disable it with an SSDT or Device Properties, I've found SSDT to be more reliable.
QQ图片20210623170037.png

i just check ur USB map,like that 3 USB can't use,That was you blocked them,i didn't Care about that before。
In this regard maybe is not USB problem

Motherboard
ASUS PRIME X299-A II
CPU
i9 10940X
Graphics
AMD RX 560 | Nvidia RTX 3070
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
i just check ur USB map,like that 3 USB can't use,That was you blocked them,i didn't Care about that before。
In this regard maybe is not USB problem

Yes - I chose not to map those 3 USB 2.0 ports so I could remain under the 15 port limit. It is possible to create a virtual device and map the USB 2.0 ports to that so you can remain under 15 ports per controller but it gets messy and I didn't need those USB 2.0 anyway.

But I'm almost 100% certain that your problem is the GTX Titan - it is not supported in Big Sur at all and would definitely cause issues like this. Also the experience without a supported GPU will be terrible. You should consider changing to a supported AMD GPU or if you really need the Nvidia GPU in a different OS then run both AMD and Nvidia, but disable the Nvidia GPU in MacOS.

Motherboard
N/A
CPU
N/A
Graphics
N/A
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I watched a video online that showed two different places that I think might be where I would change the Thermal Throttling.

1) Ai Tweaker/External Digi+ Power Control/CPU Power Thermal Control (current setting is 125C)
2) Advanced/CPU Configuration/Maximum CPU Core Temperature. (current setting is on Auto)

So I'm trying to figure out which one it is? If you remember anything, please let me know what you can, thanks.

It should be under

Set it to 94 for the 7980XE

The default AUTO is just for unlimited, which is not good and we don't want to go above the limits of the package. Prolonged heat will cause damage, so we try to keep it under the factory limit.

Motherboard
MSI X299 PRO
CPU
I9 7940X
Graphics
GTX TITAN
Yes - I chose not to map those 3 USB 2.0 ports so I could remain under the 15 port limit. It is possible to create a virtual device and map the USB 2.0 ports to that so you can remain under 15 ports per controller but it gets messy and I didn't need those USB 2.0 anyway.

But I'm almost 100% certain that your problem is the GTX Titan - it is not supported in Big Sur at all and would definitely cause issues like this. Also the experience without a supported GPU will be terrible. You should consider changing to a supported AMD GPU or if you really need the Nvidia GPU in a different OS then run both AMD and Nvidia, but disable the Nvidia GPU in MacOS.
Thank you for your advice,i have AMD VII,but in other computers,the gtx titan supported in Big Sur in the other i7 computer is working perfect,and i check in the Internet,gtx titan 6G Should be supported in Big Sur,it's the first titan for nvidia 7 series,so I am very confused now :( Could it be the acpi problem?i use all ur ssdt for the acpi

Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-DELUXE
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
RX 6900XT
It should be under

Set it to 94 for the 7980XE

The default AUTO is just for unlimited, which is not good and we don't want to go above the limits of the package. Prolonged heat will cause damage, so we try to keep it under the factory limit.
Wow, I've been using this CPU at the Auto temp for 3 years now. But I will change it and do the same with the other system using the 7960X. That one should be 98C. Thanks for the input. :cool:

Motherboard
N/A
CPU
N/A
Graphics
N/A
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Wow, I've been using this CPU at the Auto temp for 3 years now. But I will change it and do the same with the other system using the 7960X. That one should be 98C. Thanks for the input. :cool:

Remember the throttle setting is for prolonged use, if you are doing benchmarks you can turn it off temporarily.

Throttling in general is not a bad thing, all CPUs throttle and since these are unlocked CPUs we prolong the life by throttling it to factory specs.

Motherboard
ASUS PRIME X299-A II
CPU
i9 10940X
Graphics
AMD RX 560 | Nvidia RTX 3070
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you for your advice,i have AMD VII,but in other computers,the gtx titan supported in Big Sur in the other i7 computer is working perfect,and i check in the Internet,gtx titan 6G Should be supported in Big Sur,it's the first titan for nvidia 7 series,so I am very confused now :( Could it be the acpi problem?i use all ur ssdt for the acpi

Ok I stand corrected, if its a Kepler GK110 based card it should have support.

Have you removed the following two entries of "device properties" section in config.plist?

Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 10.50.41.png

These lines do two things:
  1. Set the correct name for my AMD RX 560 in system profiler and;
  2. Disable the RTX 3070 in slot 1 - if your GTX Titan is in slot one that could be causing a problem.

Just remove the sections highlighted in red and let me know if it works. :thumbup:

Motherboard
Prime X299-A II
CPU
i9 9980XE
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I just bought a 6800XT for 650€ on AMD site for "Drop Thursday" !!! They sell on eBay 1100/1200! Lucky me!!

So when it'll arrive I just have to swap cards since I already don't use weg, right?

Anyone interested in a 5700XT here? little discount for my hackintosh mates!