Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overclock Settings
  • Enable Sync All Cores and set a multiplier starting from 40x (or maybe 35x if you have an AIO and go from there)
  • Set thermal throttle limits to the limit in the Intel ark spec sheet. For example, the 9980XE is recommended to be at 84c maximum because it has a soldered IHS and it is difficult to delid this CPU. You can however get a 7980XE and delid and add your own soldering solution, however I just recommend getting the 9980XE and keeping it stock. Those extra ounces of performance is not worth it.
  • Reboot and do some benchmarks and check the temps with Intel Power Gadget and see if 40x is enough for you, then start pushing it more to 42x on all cores and see where you get. I personally keep all cores at 42x because it's the best one for my workload, it perfectly throttles at 84c when needed and still runs safely at 4.2Ghz on all cores (+/- some here and there per core). At 45x I have to ramp up the radiator fans and I don't want to, I'd rather have a more silent system.
  • Also you are able to control each core and you are able to set for example 8 cores to 42x multiplier and another 8 cores to 35x multiplier to not have the whole CPU run so hot. This is a good solution for those who don't want to do open water loops.
Hi Izo, Thank you for leaving all this great info for me and others out there. I too have a professional water looped system and water block everything (CPU and GPU's). I've been built quite a few Hackintosh systems for myself and love the meticulous process of building my systems. I too got into the performance stuff some time ago, but don't care for that stuff now. Just to let you know about 3 years ago I got the 7980XE and actually met the creator and patent holder of the delidding company (since he lived locally where I live). After delidding my CPU, I used Thermal Grizzly's Conductonaut (Liquid Metal Compound), and it's been working just fine ever since. I'm also using the EKWB Monoblock that not only cools down the CPU, but also the thermal capacitors (and those things get extremely hot!). I also have 64GB 3600 MHz DDR4 of GSkill RAM that could be OC'd too, but don't really like to mess with voltage stuff with my RAM. Unless, someone gave me some basic instructions to boost it slightly. In any case I followed KGP's way of overclocking (at the time), but haven't touched my current BIOS (running 1503), on my main system.

When I switch everything over to the 6900XT (when my other card comes in within the next 4 to 5 days), I will water block it and then update my BIOS to 3105. I know I could use the latest BIOS (3403), but since WoodCabin has provided me with his EFI file that is successfully working with 3105, I go by the thinking "what ain't broke don't fix it, but push it to it's max anyway, until you have to."

Aside from that, YES I do have a sweet setup that I could OC nicely, but have never been really good at OC'ing. So my question to you is, After I go into the BIOS and Sync All Cores, where else would I go into the BIOS and "set the multiplier" to 40x? That's where I get stuck trying to find all this stuff. If you could tell me where to go in the BIOS to make some general adjustments to OC my CPU some that would be great. Thanks again for your input and help.

Hi Izo, Thank you for leaving all this great info for me and others out there. I too have a professional water looped system and water block everything (CPU and GPU's). I've been built quite a few Hackintosh systems for myself and love the meticulous process of building my systems. I too got into the performance stuff some time ago, but don't care for that stuff now. Just to let you know about 3 years ago I got the 7980XE and actually met the creator and patent holder of the delidding company (since he lived locally where I live). After delidding my CPU, I used Thermal Grizzly's Conductonaut (Liquid Metal Compound), and it's been working just fine ever since. I'm also using the EKWB Monoblock that not only cools down the CPU, but also the thermal capacitors (and those things get extremely hot!). I also have 64GB 3600 MHz DDR4 of GSkill RAM that could be OC'd too, but don't really like to mess with voltage stuff with my RAM. Unless, someone gave me some basic instructions to boost it slightly. In any case I followed KGP's way of overclocking (at the time), but haven't touched my current BIOS (running 1503), on my main system.

When I switch everything over to the 6900XT (when my other card comes in within the next 4 to 5 days), I will water block it and then update my BIOS to 3105. I know I could use the latest BIOS (3403), but since WoodCabin has provided me with his EFI file that is successfully working with 3105, I go by the thinking "what ain't broke don't fix it, but push it to it's max anyway, until you have to."

Aside from that, YES I do have a sweet setup that I could OC nicely, but have never been really good at OC'ing. So my question to you is, After I go into the BIOS and Sync All Cores, where else would I go into the BIOS and "set the multiplier" to 40x? That's where I get stuck trying to find all this stuff. If you could tell me where to go in the BIOS to make some general adjustments to OC my CPU some that would be great. Thanks again for your input and help.

Well first off, a monoblock is not required, unless you have a mobo that doesn't have good VRAM cooling. In your case, the Prime Deluxe was the first board ASUS made for X299 and didn't even have any VRM cooling at all (I Had that board before).

Second of all, you already have your system watercooled and delidded, so why not overclock it? lol. Doesn't make sense to me.

Third, the BIOS doesn't matter too much, I see you are fixated on that. Usually people here will tell you if the latest BIOS breaks anything, but you are pretty safe to update to the latest BIOS. They don't really increase performance anyway, except in very small certain cases like PCI Bar support with latest ASUS bioses (for Windows only, do not enable this for macOS it will freeze).

To answer your main question, you don't need to be "good" at overclocking. Just use Sync All Cores and set your multiplier to something like 42 and see where it goes. Your RAM should be set to XMP.

For Thermal throttling, looking at the 7980XE on the Intel Ark site, it says that your TJunction temp is 94C which is very good. You are also delidded, so that will probably shave off 10c in general from the generic crappy thermal paste Intel uses on their IHS.

I forget where the thermal throttle setting is, but it's in the BIOS somewhere, you have to take a look we can't do the homework for you. Set it to 94c and you should be good.

Then in macOS run Cinebench R23 and it will run a 10 minute looping benchmark and push the CPU, open Intel Power Gadget and watch how it's doing and if it runs at 4.2Ghz on all cores and wattage as well as the thermal throttle at 94c. If it's all doing that, then you are good. It's all trial and error based on your configuration, I have no idea what rads or how many rads youre using including the size, or the water pump. It's very difficult to give you guidance on this, you have to test it yourself.

Also don't get the EKWB waterblock for the 6900XT, it is thick and will block slot 2 if you put the GPU in slot 1...unless you don't care about Slot 2.

Im not sure that its actually a USB issue, I had MSI X299 Pro and there were many misleading pointers until I realised it was all related to broken NVRAM.
(Presuming you actually have a complete set of working SSDT's for it)

You'll need to install this following the method provided by @TheBloke in post #1,063 - it is quite straightforward and once you have done the initial install it all works very well. I was quite pleased with the MSI X299 Pro actually.

This is a much older EFI using OpenCore 6.3 - I don't have anything newer I'm afraid, I switched to ASUS.

Serials are stripped and resources folder is emptied so you'd need to adapt but it should get you going in the right direction - TSCAdjustreset is set for 14 cores, you need to change to 12 but All the SSDT's and most of the Config.plist and bootargs should still be valid, as are the Custom USB maps in line with my diagrams on the post below.

USB maps and layouts - #1,384
hi bro,i use ur ssdt and kexts up date big sur 11.4 successful,but still has a problem,that is can't shut down andrestart,the display can shut down ,but the computer still worked,i can't find why

Well first off, a monoblock is not required, unless you have a mobo that doesn't have good VRAM cooling. In your case, the Prime Deluxe was the first board ASUS made for X299 and didn't even have any VRM cooling at all (I Had that board before).

Second of all, you already have your system watercooled and delidded, so why not overclock it? lol. Doesn't make sense to me.

Third, the BIOS doesn't matter too much, I see you are fixated on that. Usually people here will tell you if the latest BIOS breaks anything, but you are pretty safe to update to the latest BIOS. They don't really increase performance anyway, except in very small certain cases like PCI Bar support with latest ASUS bioses (for Windows only, do not enable this for macOS it will freeze).

To answer your main question, you don't need to be "good" at overclocking. Just use Sync All Cores and set your multiplier to something like 42 and see where it goes. Your RAM should be set to XMP.

For Thermal throttling, looking at the 7980XE on the Intel Ark site, it says that your TJunction temp is 94C which is very good. You are also delidded, so that will probably shave off 10c in general from the generic crappy thermal paste Intel uses on their IHS.

I forget where the thermal throttle setting is, but it's in the BIOS somewhere, you have to take a look we can't do the homework for you. Set it to 94c and you should be good.

Then in macOS run Cinebench R23 and it will run a 10 minute looping benchmark and push the CPU, open Intel Power Gadget and watch how it's doing and if it runs at 4.2Ghz on all cores and wattage as well as the thermal throttle at 94c. If it's all doing that, then you are good. It's all trial and error based on your configuration, I have no idea what rads or how many rads youre using including the size, or the water pump. It's very difficult to give you guidance on this, you have to test it yourself.

Also don't get the EKWB waterblock for the 6900XT, it is thick and will block slot 2 if you put the GPU in slot 1...unless you don't care about Slot 2.
BTW, I did mention that KGP helped me (3 years ago), OC my CPU. But since I'm updating the BIOS from 1503 to 3105, that's why I was asking you what I need to do now (if anything's changed since then). So it is OC'd, I just don't remember the process or where it's set right now.

I do have "Sync All Cores" enabled and set RAM to "XMP" and it's been set there for 3 years now. With that said, once I get my water blocks, I'll install them on my 6900's. BTW, I'm only using one slot in my system and don't care if "slot 2" is obstructed. I never used it and don't plan to. Thanks for letting me know anyway.

When it comes to my build, I'm using 2 x Coolgate G2 360 Raditors 392 x 120 x 65mm each. Both of these Rads can hold 900 ml total of liquid and I also have 300 mm tall reservoir. My Dual Bay Swiftech Maelstrom uses 2 x Laing DDC pumps at 25% of their powered strength. So the flow is set to a med/slow setting. I had them at 100% for about 2.5 years straight and that was too much pressure for rads and they finally gave out and they started leaking. So now they're not receiving so much pressured flow, as they were before. So in that way, my system can handle 4 water blocked GPUs and Monoblocked CPU - no problem. Temps are usually at 27C to 29C. So I'm good there.

About the "Thermal Throttle" setting. I'll have to call Asus tech support for help on locating that one, as I just spent the last 10 min trying to find it in the BIOS and couldn't locate it. If anyone else (who's reading this), knows where in the BIOS the "Thermal Throttle" setting is, please let me know. Thanks Izo for the input.

Last edited:
hi bro,i use ur ssdt and kexts up date big sur 11.4 successful,but still has a problem,that is can't shut down andrestart,the display can shut down ,but the computer still worked,i can't find why
I think you’ll need to check some BIOS settings, as I no longer have the board I can’t remember my exact setup, but with that EFI everything worked perfectly except for NVRAM. Even sleep/wake, shutdown etc.

have you tried following the guide here, this has always been my first port of call and describes many of the common problems like this?

There are many things that could be interfering with shutdown/sleep main culprits could be usb devices or gpu’s, without having the board anymore it’s difficult to remember exactly what my settings looked like I’m afraid.

EDIT: I just noticed in your profile "GTX TITAN" - are you running an AMD GPU as well? If not, that is very likely your problem. And if you are running an AMD GPU as well as your GTX TITAN you'll need to properly disable it with an SSDT or Device Properties, I've found SSDT to be more reliable.

Last edited:
I think you’ll need to check some BIOS settings, as I no longer have the board I can’t remember my exact setup, but with that EFI everything worked perfectly except for NVRAM. Even sleep/wake, shutdown etc.

have you tried following the guide here, this has always been my first port of call and describes many of the common problems like this?

There are many things that could be interfering with shutdown/sleep main culprits could be usb devices or gpu’s, without having the board anymore it’s difficult to remember exactly what my settings looked like I’m afraid.

EDIT: I just noticed in your profile "GTX TITAN" - are you running an AMD GPU as well? If not, that is very likely your problem. And if you are running an AMD GPU as well as your GTX TITAN you'll need to properly disable it with an SSDT or Device Properties, I've found SSDT to be more reliable.
i didn't use any AMD GPU,maybe is USB problem,because 4 USB 2.0 only can use one,3 can't use,but all USB 3.1 can use,thanks to help me!

I watched a video online that showed two different places that I think might be where I would change the Thermal Throttling.

1) Ai Tweaker/External Digi+ Power Control/CPU Power Thermal Control (current setting is 125C)
2) Advanced/CPU Configuration/Maximum CPU Core Temperature. (current setting is on Auto)

So I'm trying to figure out which one it is? If you remember anything, please let me know what you can, thanks.

Last edited:

QQ图片20210623170037.png

i just check ur USB map,like that 3 USB can't use,That was you blocked them,i didn't Care about that before。
In this regard maybe is not USB problem

i just check ur USB map,like that 3 USB can't use,That was you blocked them,i didn't Care about that before。
In this regard maybe is not USB problem

Yes - I chose not to map those 3 USB 2.0 ports so I could remain under the 15 port limit. It is possible to create a virtual device and map the USB 2.0 ports to that so you can remain under 15 ports per controller but it gets messy and I didn't need those USB 2.0 anyway.

But I'm almost 100% certain that your problem is the GTX Titan - it is not supported in Big Sur at all and would definitely cause issues like this. Also the experience without a supported GPU will be terrible. You should consider changing to a supported AMD GPU or if you really need the Nvidia GPU in a different OS then run both AMD and Nvidia, but disable the Nvidia GPU in MacOS.

I watched a video online that showed two different places that I think might be where I would change the Thermal Throttling.

1) Ai Tweaker/External Digi+ Power Control/CPU Power Thermal Control (current setting is 125C)
2) Advanced/CPU Configuration/Maximum CPU Core Temperature. (current setting is on Auto)

So I'm trying to figure out which one it is? If you remember anything, please let me know what you can, thanks.

It should be under

Set it to 94 for the 7980XE

The default AUTO is just for unlimited, which is not good and we don't want to go above the limits of the package. Prolonged heat will cause damage, so we try to keep it under the factory limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back