Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just plug and play, I would sell the Radeon VII's you have and enjoy the profits + upgrade lol

If you are using MacPro7,1, upgrade to 11.4, then remove WEG completely and pop in the 6900XT.

BTW the USB-C on the 6900XT is disabled, it's only for DisplayPort video out and no USB-C devices are working. Seems like Apple has disabled it in the drivers for now, oh well no big deal.
Thanks for the quick reply and this info. I was curious since I'm using the current MacOS v11.4, what is WEG and since I need to remove it, how would I do it? Sorry, I'm naive to this stuff and only have a basic understanding, but will follow whatever directions you can provide. Again, thanks for the info.

Thanks for the quick reply and this info. I was curious since I'm using the current MacOS v11.4, what is WEG and since I need to remove it, how would I do it? Sorry, I'm naive to this stuff and only have a basic understanding, but will follow whatever directions you can provide. Again, thanks for the info.

WEG is WhateverGreen, you don't need it anymore with MacPro7,1.

If you're not on OpenCore already you should move to it.

WEG is WhateverGreen, you don't need it anymore with MacPro7,1.

If you're not on OpenCore already you should move to it.
I have used, or should I say tried to use OpenCore, but even reading everything and trying to follow all of the instructions I get most of it, but still needed help. Someone here (many pages back, about 6 or 7 months ago), had an EFI file that was done in OpenCore for the very Asus X299 Prime-DELUXE (v.1 not v.II) mobo and just tired it and it worked like a charm! I was even able to upgrade several times with the same EFI file with no issues so far. I'm grateful things are working!

In any case, (from this WEG file you're talking about), I would need to go into my existing EFI > OC > Kexts > WhateverGreen.kext and delete it, correct? If I removed it now, that wouldn't affect anything with the existing Radeon VII cards I'm using would it? Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
I have used, or should I say tried to use OpenCore, but even reading everything and trying to follow all of the instructions I get most of it, but still needed help. Someone here (many pages back, about 6 or 7 months ago), had an EFI file that was done in OpenCore for the very Asus X299 Prime-DELUXE (v.1 not v.II) mobo and just tired it and it worked like a charm! I was even able to upgrade several times with the same EFI file with no issues so far. I'm grateful things are working!

In any case, (from this WEG file you're talking about), I would need to go into my existing EFI > OC > Kexts > WhateverGreen.kext and delete it, correct? If I removed it now, that wouldn't affect anything with the existing Radeon VII cards I'm using would it? Thanks again for your help.

yes or you can just disable the kext in the config.plist. Just set the kext to Enable = false. I don’t think you need WhateverGreen at all with MacPro7,1 but the Radeon VII might be picky.

Without WG my system would freeze with Radeon VII so no don't remove it.

When you put in the 6900XT and remove the Radeon VII, thats when you either disable WEG in the config file or just delete it (I deleted it from the kexts folder and disabled it in config to keep it clean). Everything works fine including DRM. You can also do -wegoff in the boot-args but I didn't do that.

EDIT:
Also I forgot, you should just disable WEG the last time you use Radeon VII in the config.plist when you shut down the system and take out Radeon VII because you will get a black screen on the login screen with WEG enabled with 6900XT without the pikera mod arg or WEG off. 6900XT is RDNA based while Radeon VII is GCN based, and 6900XT is the same deal as the 5700XT

Last edited:
Without WG my system would freeze with Radeon VII so no don't remove it.

When you put in the 6900XT and remove the Radeon VII, thats when you either disable WEG in the config file or just delete it (I deleted it from the kexts folder and disabled it in config to keep it clean). Everything works fine including DRM. You can also do -wegoff in the boot-args but I didn't do that.

EDIT:
Also I forgot, you should just disable WEG the last time you use Radeon VII in the config.plist when you shut down the system and take out Radeon VII because you will get a black screen on the login screen with WEG enabled with 6900XT without the pikera mod arg or WEG off. 6900XT is RDNA based while Radeon VII is GCN based, and 6900XT is the same deal as the 5700XT
Thank you Hina and Izo! Really appreciate the input! I just won a bid on the 6900 for $1750 and should be able to sell my Radeon VII for more ($2,000+), so it will be an a better than even trade. I'll have to get a water block as well for that card. You guys (ICEV, Izo and now 7Hina), got me excited to try this out! Looking forward to the results! By the way how would 2 x 6900's work together? Anyone got that setup yet?

Thank you Hina and Izo! Really appreciate the input! I just won a bid on the 6900 for $1750 and should be able to sell my Radeon VII for more ($2,000+), so it will be an a better than even trade. I'll have to get a water block as well for that card. You guys (ICEV, Izo and now 7Hina), got me excited to try this out! Looking forward to the results! By the way how would 2 x 6900's work together? Anyone got that setup yet?

great, I don't think anyone is that rich or needs 2x6900XTs but I would assume it would work fine?
But not too many applications use dual GPUs. Maybe Davinci Resolve, FCPX (?)? Definitely Octane does use multiple GPUs and dual 6900XTs would be killer for that workflow if you are doing 3D.

I think in general dual 6900XTs would be overkill. What are you doing that requires that many GPUs?

Also I'm pretty sure the W6600 or whatever is called is going to be in the next and final Intel Mac Pro, so maybe Apple will do a dual RDNA GPU like they did like Radeon VII natively? So some apps will take advantage of it.

But imo its overkill lol
I'm super duper happy with the 6900XT it's a giant leap in GPU performance and glad they matched NVIDIA's top end card. Also glad Apple supports it as this is my last Hackintosh hehe

Hey there, so I have the GB Titan Ridge v1 card and it seems that the DSM2 version firmware is the only one that doesn't freeze the system. I tried the other 2 you mentioned and they freeze the system while using it.

Is it possible to get help with a proper TBOLT3 aml? It is in Slot 3 now with the Pin jump mod and no TB connector.

Attaching IOREG. thank you!
Please try the attached SSDTs by adding them to OpenCore ACPI folder and adding a reference in config.plist --> ACPI section. Then reboot. To check if the SSDT has taken effect, please post screenshot of IORegistryExplorer --> PC02 as shown:
Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 5.03.32 PM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-X299-Slot3.aml
    2.1 KB · Views: 27
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 35
Please try the attached SSDTs by adding them to OpenCore ACPI folder and adding a reference in config.plist --> ACPI section. Then reboot. To check if the SSDT has taken effect, please post screenshot of IORegistryExplorer --> PC02 as shown:
View attachment 521696

Thanks for that. Looks like it didn't work.

Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 8.39.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 8.35.42 PM.png

Also gone from TB3 (This is before the aml is enabled)

Thanks for that. Looks like it didn't work.

View attachment 521699

View attachment 521700

Also gone from TB3 (This is before the aml is enabled)
Looks like you collapsed the wrong block in IORegistryExplorer. Please expand PBR8@8 and collapse pci-bridge@10. It’s also possible that an attempt to interfere with the device tree below SL05 causes problems, but that typically only happens on ASRock boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back