CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
W5500
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It's pretty similar to what happened to me with Radeon VII, which was solved in 11.3. That hevc worked here too. Anyway I switched to 5700 XT since it's officially supported. I wouldn't wait Apple to iron out it, RX 580 - Vega 56/64 - 5700 (XT) are the only officially supported ones, so I think they test only them before releasing an update and then fix some here and there for other cards. Radeon Pro series have lower clocks than RX counterparts, maybe macOS doesn't handle this fine using the same power management of a RX 5500 !?

Yeah I’m not sure but I’ve heard other people have success with the pro w5500 so I’m not sure. Loading the hevc video isn’t a huge issue for me so whatever. Just wanted a single slot card lol

EDIT: Think I may have found a better fix but still doing some testing.

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME X299-A II
CPU
i9 10940X
Graphics
AMD RX 560 | Nvidia RTX 3070
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I purchased ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II just a few days ago
For Thunderbolt 3 Support (I replaced my old Asus Rampage VI Apex)

I have done a search on here and not found any specific hits regarding the X299-A II - I've got the opportunity to pick one of those up new at a very good price and my MSI X299 Pro, while working pretty great, only has 2x M2 slots (I really want a third) and its still really niggling me that NVRAM isn't working.

Im pretty sure, given the experiences of other ASUS users on here, and your working Deluxe II, that it should work quite well.

Anyone know of any red flags or major problems with X299-A II? I could always return it of course and fall back to my MSI if it doesn't work out.

Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-Deluxe II
CPU
i9-9980XE
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have done a search on here and not found any specific hits regarding the X299-A II - I've got the opportunity to pick one of those up new at a very good price and my MSI X299 Pro, while working pretty great, only has 2x M2 slots (I really want a third) and its still really niggling me that NVRAM isn't working.

Im pretty sure, given the experiences of other ASUS users on here, and your working Deluxe II, that it should work quite well.

Anyone know of any red flags or major problems with X299-A II? I could always return it of course and fall back to my MSI if it doesn't work out.

I am a video editor by profession
Works on the computer 16 hours a day
And sometimes the computer continues to work even after that (rendering, etc.)

I copy at least 300gb every day
I have nvme raid 0
I have ssd raid 0
I have 10 different disks connected
Every day I export movies
Every day uploads content to the cloud

I have a 10gb network that works at full speed (expansion card)

I have been updating both .xxx update and full operating systems for Almost three years without any problem

And everything works great
Even Thunderbolt in my litel experience (only a few days) works wonderfully

I write all this so that you will understand that this system is being re-tested every day
And there was not a single failure!

So the asus x299 motherboards are amazing!

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 14.12.47.png

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage/10G
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
W5500
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@ICEVISION @jaspercat5

I'd read through the Thunderbolt section here to get a better understanding of what's going on. I've copied in a snippet thats super helpful.

From @CaseySJ's Gigabyte Z490 Vision D Guide

In short we will not see drivers loaded in the Thunderbolt/USB 4 tab unless we are in extended mode which requires firmware flashing. CaseySJ is right here, thats not necessary for everyone.

If you do attach and load a device such as an Apollo you will see it in the PCIe tab instead.

Found a ThunderboltEX 4 in stock on ASUS.com and ordered it over the weekend. Once it comes in I'll do some testing. Should there be another thread started somewhere for TB4 stuff? Or just spread out through this thread and Caseys z390?

NorthAmTransAm

Motherboard
Asus Z370-A Prime II
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Found a ThunderboltEX 4 in stock on ASUS.com and ordered it over the weekend. Once it comes in I'll do some testing. Should there be another thread started somewhere for TB4 stuff? Or just spread out through this thread and Caseys z390?

I'd say since your on x299 you can stay here. You can also refer to my thread if you want to make more general notes. I'm still doing testing on firmware now. Should have a better scope on things end of next week.

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage/10G
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
W5500
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'd say since your on x299 you can stay here. You can also refer to my thread if you want to make more general notes. I'm still doing testing on firmware now. Should have a better scope on things end of next week.

Sounds good! Will give an update once it arrives! If we can figure out the disable Thunderbolt in BIOS issue then can possibly have more than 2 thunderbolt 4 ports.

NorthAmTransAm

Motherboard
Asus Z370-A Prime II
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Sounds good! Will give an update once it arrives! If we can figure out the disable Thunderbolt in BIOS issue then can possibly have more than 2 thunderbolt 4 ports.

Word to the wise though. I broke the firmware chip on mine. I believe during testing I had my clip backwards at some point and well...oh well. All to say, be super careful!

Anyways, I got a couple of replacement chips and am paying someone locally to put a socket on the card so I can take the chip in and out during testing. Assuming the card survives the repair, I'll be back at it in no time!

Motherboard
ASUS WS X299 Sage/10G
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
W5500
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Word to the wise though. I broke the firmware chip on mine. I believe during testing I had my clip backwards at some point and well...oh well. All to say, be super careful!

Anyways, I got a couple of replacement chips and am paying someone locally to put a socket on the card so I can take the chip in and out during testing. Assuming the card survives the repair, I'll be back at it in no time!

Yikes! Are there two different chips on this? I haven't flashed a card in a while so might need to look up Casey's guide again

NorthAmTransAm

Motherboard
Asus Z370-A Prime II
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yikes! Are there two different chips on this? I haven't flashed a card in a while so might need to look up Casey's guide again
This card just has one. Honestly, for the platform, I find this card in ICM mode to be an excellent easy addition to the Prime platform.