Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once the ThunderboltEx 4 is in stock again at Newegg I’ll snag one to help with testing. I assume multiple could work on one machine but who knows lol

Also an update on my W5500 woes. I’m not sure if it’s a configuration issue, an issue with my gpu or both but I assume my gpu is crashing due to some macOS power management issues. It seems stable in Windows but black/green screens in macOS randomly. Also DP/HDMI audio is very hit or miss but that may be due to my dp to hdmi adapters. One workaround I’ve found to prevent crashing is to load a hevc video on boot in the background. As long as the media player is open (video doesnt have to be playing) then the crashes dont happen.

Things I’ve tried:
- multiple clean installs of Big Sur (11.2.1/2, 11.3 betas)
- iMacPro1,1/MacPro7,1 SMBIOS
- WEG + agdpmod=pikera on/off
- AGPM kext on/off
It's pretty similar to what happened to me with Radeon VII, which was solved in 11.3. That hevc worked here too. Anyway I switched to 5700 XT since it's officially supported. I wouldn't wait Apple to iron out it, RX 580 - Vega 56/64 - 5700 (XT) are the only officially supported ones, so I think they test only them before releasing an update and then fix some here and there for other cards. Radeon Pro series have lower clocks than RX counterparts, maybe macOS doesn't handle this fine using the same power management of a RX 5500 !?

I'm really not a professional to answer you

Until a few days ago I was generally scared to mess with Thunderbolt on my hackintosh
But I had to upgrade my audio interface to Apollo Twin X
So I took the "risk"

It does matter if it showing under Thunderbolt/USB 4 ?
@ICEVISION @jaspercat5

I'd read through the Thunderbolt section here to get a better understanding of what's going on. I've copied in a snippet thats super helpful.

From @CaseySJ's Gigabyte Z490 Vision D Guide
Thunderbolt Bus Activation:
Thunderbolt with hot-plug functionality works properly just by following the build guide. However, because Apple and Intel jointly developed Thunderbolt, Apple has created a more thorough implementation compared to Windows and Linux. We can think of Thunderbolt as operating in two modes:
  • Standard Mode, also known as ICM or Internal Connection Manager mode.
  • Extended Mode, in which macOS implements a number of extended capabilities.
Switching from Standard Mode to Extended Mode is purely optional, but it brings the system closer to a real Mac. Extended Mode provides these additional capabilities:
  • Thunderbolt Bus and Local Node
  • Thunderbolt Ethernet bridge to connect two Macs over Thunderbolt cable
  • Target Disk Mode in which a Hackintosh can connect to a real Mac's hard drives when the real Mac is placed into Target Disk Mode
  • eGPU support. This allows eGPUs to connect and disconnect. Additionally, a menu bar icon allows the eGPU to be disconnected safely.
  • QNAP, OWC, and possibly other Thunderbolt NAS support.
  • Support for some Thunderbolt 1 legacy devices such as Apple Thunderbolt Display.

In short we will not see drivers loaded in the Thunderbolt/USB 4 tab unless we are in extended mode which requires firmware flashing. CaseySJ is right here, thats not necessary for everyone.

If you do attach and load a device such as an Apollo you will see it in the PCIe tab instead.

It's pretty similar to what happened to me with Radeon VII, which was solved in 11.3. That hevc worked here too. Anyway I switched to 5700 XT since it's officially supported. I wouldn't wait Apple to iron out it, RX 580 - Vega 56/64 - 5700 (XT) are the only officially supported ones, so I think they test only them before releasing an update and then fix some here and there for other cards. Radeon Pro series have lower clocks than RX counterparts, maybe macOS doesn't handle this fine using the same power management of a RX 5500 !?

Yeah I’m not sure but I’ve heard other people have success with the pro w5500 so I’m not sure. Loading the hevc video isn’t a huge issue for me so whatever. Just wanted a single slot card lol

EDIT: Think I may have found a better fix but still doing some testing.

Last edited:
I purchased ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe II just a few days ago
For Thunderbolt 3 Support (I replaced my old Asus Rampage VI Apex)

I have done a search on here and not found any specific hits regarding the X299-A II - I've got the opportunity to pick one of those up new at a very good price and my MSI X299 Pro, while working pretty great, only has 2x M2 slots (I really want a third) and its still really niggling me that NVRAM isn't working.

Im pretty sure, given the experiences of other ASUS users on here, and your working Deluxe II, that it should work quite well.

Anyone know of any red flags or major problems with X299-A II? I could always return it of course and fall back to my MSI if it doesn't work out.

I have done a search on here and not found any specific hits regarding the X299-A II - I've got the opportunity to pick one of those up new at a very good price and my MSI X299 Pro, while working pretty great, only has 2x M2 slots (I really want a third) and its still really niggling me that NVRAM isn't working.

Im pretty sure, given the experiences of other ASUS users on here, and your working Deluxe II, that it should work quite well.

Anyone know of any red flags or major problems with X299-A II? I could always return it of course and fall back to my MSI if it doesn't work out.

I am a video editor by profession
Works on the computer 16 hours a day
And sometimes the computer continues to work even after that (rendering, etc.)

I copy at least 300gb every day
I have nvme raid 0
I have ssd raid 0
I have 10 different disks connected
Every day I export movies
Every day uploads content to the cloud

I have a 10gb network that works at full speed (expansion card)

I have been updating both .xxx update and full operating systems for Almost three years without any problem

And everything works great
Even Thunderbolt in my litel experience (only a few days) works wonderfully

I write all this so that you will understand that this system is being re-tested every day
And there was not a single failure!

So the asus x299 motherboards are amazing!

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 14.12.47.png

@ICEVISION @jaspercat5

I'd read through the Thunderbolt section here to get a better understanding of what's going on. I've copied in a snippet thats super helpful.

From @CaseySJ's Gigabyte Z490 Vision D Guide

In short we will not see drivers loaded in the Thunderbolt/USB 4 tab unless we are in extended mode which requires firmware flashing. CaseySJ is right here, thats not necessary for everyone.

If you do attach and load a device such as an Apollo you will see it in the PCIe tab instead.

Found a ThunderboltEX 4 in stock on ASUS.com and ordered it over the weekend. Once it comes in I'll do some testing. Should there be another thread started somewhere for TB4 stuff? Or just spread out through this thread and Caseys z390?

Found a ThunderboltEX 4 in stock on ASUS.com and ordered it over the weekend. Once it comes in I'll do some testing. Should there be another thread started somewhere for TB4 stuff? Or just spread out through this thread and Caseys z390?

I'd say since your on x299 you can stay here. You can also refer to my thread if you want to make more general notes. I'm still doing testing on firmware now. Should have a better scope on things end of next week.

I'd say since your on x299 you can stay here. You can also refer to my thread if you want to make more general notes. I'm still doing testing on firmware now. Should have a better scope on things end of next week.

Sounds good! Will give an update once it arrives! If we can figure out the disable Thunderbolt in BIOS issue then can possibly have more than 2 thunderbolt 4 ports.

Sounds good! Will give an update once it arrives! If we can figure out the disable Thunderbolt in BIOS issue then can possibly have more than 2 thunderbolt 4 ports.

Word to the wise though. I broke the firmware chip on mine. I believe during testing I had my clip backwards at some point and well...oh well. All to say, be super careful!

Anyways, I got a couple of replacement chips and am paying someone locally to put a socket on the card so I can take the chip in and out during testing. Assuming the card survives the repair, I'll be back at it in no time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back