2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thank you @CaseySJ,

Attached

I couldn't find references in GPIO3 in the motherboard documentation, could you please tell me where to go to check that?

View attachment 513389

Regards,
BIOS parameters seem to be okay, but there is no mention of Thunderbolt in the IOReg file, which means Thunderbolt is disabled or defective. Some questions:
  • Have you flashed the on-board Thunderbolt firmware? Ideally we should not flash it unless there's a Thunderbolt device that won't work without Thunderbolt Bus activation.
  • If Above 4G Decoding enabled?
  • If you connect a Thunderbolt device (and power it on if it has it's own power cable) before booting macOS, then boot macOS, log in, and try to use that Thunderbolt device, does it work?

Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 Designare EX ver1
CPU
i9-9960X
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  • Have you flashed the on-board Thunderbolt firmware? Ideally we should not flash it unless there's a Thunderbolt device that won't work without Thunderbolt Bus activation.
No, never flashed.
  • If Above 4G Decoding enabled?
Sorry if my questions are too naive, but where is that setting? Is it also in Bios?
  • If you connect a Thunderbolt device (and power it on if it has it's own power cable) before booting macOS, then boot macOS, log in, and try to use that Thunderbolt device, does it work?
This actually is not going to detect my device at all, while, if I hot-plug my device, sometimes it gets detected, through the 3rd party USB-c. I'm yet to figure out a pattern in which the device gets detected, but never with the device plugged in while I'm booting my MacOS.

Please let me know, I can try to reboot a few times and hopefully catch it when my system detects this USB-c, and then do another IOReg snapshot? would that help?

Regards Casey, and thank you.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
No, never flashed.

Sorry if my questions are too naive, but where is that setting? Is it also in Bios?

This actually is not going to detect my device at all, while, if I hot-plug my device, sometimes it gets detected, through the 3rd party USB-c. I'm yet to figure out a pattern in which the device gets detected, but never with the device plugged in while I'm booting my MacOS.

The first priority would be to ensure that Thunderbolt is activated and visible in IOReg each time the system boots (i.e. Thunderbolt is consistently available). Some thoughts:
  • Do you have Windows and/or Linux installed on this machine?
  • If so, does Thunderbolt work consistently in either of those operating systems?
Additionally:
  • If you are using a Thunderbolt SSDT, please disable it and reboot the system.
  • After logging back in, run IORegistryExplorer and post the IOReg file (File --> Save As...).

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9960X
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  • Do you have Windows and/or Linux installed on this machine?
No, but I could make a Linux live USB and run from it if needed.
  • If so, does Thunderbolt work consistently in either of those operating systems?
This part I don't know. I only ran once to generate my first list and the first set of DSDT, I didn't specifically look at Tb.
Additionally:
  • If you are using a Thunderbolt SSDT, please disable it and reboot the system.
I don't have Tb SSDT - I just ran from a master boot USB, making sure I have nothing extraneous:
1616901104520.png

• After logging back in, run IORegistryExplorer and post the IOReg file (File --> Save As...).
File is attached.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I no longer see USB 3.1 in my system report, don't know why.

Attachments

• ioreg-x299-designare-ex - Mar27.ioreg
    5.3 MB · Views: 15
Motherboard
Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello everyone!

I've been using my hackintosh with Mojave for a while and today I decided to give Big Sur a go, I used the EFI on @Loloflatsix github and in all my years of using hackintosh I've never had an installation go so smooth and fast, thank you for that!

One thing I cant figure out its the fans on my Vega 64 (Sapphire Nitro+), some times they are super quiet, some times they'll ramp up even when the computer is completely idle, didn't experience this on Mojave. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to fix this? Cant seem to figure it out, I'm using the configuration on my signature.

Attachments

• EFI NS.zip
    57.8 MB · Views: 21
Motherboard
Prime X299-A II
CPU
i9 9980XE
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello everyone!

I've been using my hackintosh with Mojave for a while and today I decided to give Big Sur a go, I used the EFI on @Loloflatsix github and in all my years of using hackintosh I've never had an installation go so smooth and fast, thank you for that!

One thing I cant figure out its the fans on my Vega 64 (Sapphire Nitro+), some times they are super quiet, some times they'll ramp up even when the computer is completely idle, didn't experience this on Mojave. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to fix this? Cant seem to figure it out, I'm using the configuration on my signature.
I think that's normal behavior of a GPU, that fact it stays quiet and sometimes ramps up means it works to my knowledge. It could be because MacOS is doing something in background since it is a new update, or simply because it uses GPU acceleration much more widely in the os. I would simply benchmark it with something heavy, like Luxmark of GFXBench and check stability at high power and temps.

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9960X
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After logging back in, run IORegistryExplorer and post the IOReg file
Hello Casey,
I managed to restart my rig and the USB3.1 appeared again.
I've re-saved the ioreg export file, please take a look see if this is what you were looking for for enabled Tb3:

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• ioreg-x299-designare-ex - Mar30.ioreg
    5.2 MB · Views: 13

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello Casey,
I managed to restart my rig and the USB3.1 appeared again.
I've re-saved the ioreg export file, please take a look see if this is what you were looking for for enabled Tb3:

Thank you so much!
Unfortunately there's still no mention of Thunderbolt. We have seen this problem on some of the newer BIOSes that support Resizeable Base Address Registers (BAR). Which version of BIOS are you running?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The only suggestions I can make now:
  • Re-flash BIOS F6
  • Or consider flashing BIOS F7c
Then configure BIOS parameters again, starting with Load Optimized Defaults, then we can check IOReg once more. If Thunderbolt is still not visible it may be necessary to install Windows or Linux and see if Thunderbolt is available in those operating systems. If Thunderbolt is not active there as well, then it would indicate a board failure.