CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Worst case you can just disable the onboard NIC in BIOS and put in a Aquantia 10G card for $50 or something. It's going to use the same amounts of PCIe lanes anyway, so you don't lose anything. I guess it's less "aesthetically pleasing" but once you have that card in there you're never going to remember if it's the onboard NIC or a PCIe card haha
Thanks good to know!

Motherboard
ASRock Z370 Pro
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
2x GTX 1080 Ti
Hey Everyone. I have been using a Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9 motherboard with 3 1080ti's and stuck on High Sierra for while using clover. been a little while since I updated this machine. Recently my rendering software has started using Metal GPU support so I am looking to move to Big Sur with this rig and a couple of Radeon vii's

within the last month i updated a different i7 machine to Open core, so I am a bit firmilar and would like to update this other one to Open core also. My question is whether anyone has any insight into this x299 Asrock board ( with has a 10G nic that i couldnt get a copy of 10.6.3 update the firmware so never worked) or whther maybe I should see if I can score a Asus x299 Sage 10G which a lot of you seem to be using. I am seeing one for $600

Motherboard
AsRock X299 Creator
CPU
i9-10900X
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Everyone. I have been using a Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9 motherboard with 3 1080ti's and stuck on High Sierra for while using clover. been a little while since I updated this machine. Recently my rendering software has started using Metal GPU support so I am looking to move to Big Sur with this rig and a couple of Radeon vii's

within the last month i updated a different i7 machine to Open core, so I am a bit firmilar and would like to update this other one to Open core also. My question is whether anyone has any insight into this x299 Asrock board ( with has a 10G nic that i couldnt get a copy of 10.6.3 update the firmware so never worked) or whther maybe I should see if I can score a Asus x299 Sage 10G which a lot of you seem to be using. I am seeing one for $600
I didn't understand what you're looking for
But I have a valid EFI for X299 Asrock Creator
Hope this could helps

Motherboard
ASRock Z370 Pro
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
2x GTX 1080 Ti
Sorry, that wasn't very clear. Is anyone using Open Core and Big sure with the asrock Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9 motherboard, or similar ? I will give it a try in the next day or so

Motherboard
N/A
CPU
N/A
Graphics
N/A
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Shouldn't be a problem using any X299 board except NVRAM.

It's best to get the pre-approved boards though if you are just getting into it.

I personally have been through 4 different X299 boards.

Motherboard
Asus Prime X299- A II
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
  2. Power Mac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
What is the consensus about the Gigabyte X299X Aorus Master? I'm really needing a mobo with 3 m.2 slots ideally, but I'm not clear if there is a BIOS issue or not (or if it's been addressed by O.C.)?

Any advice is much appreciated.

If the Gigabyte is a no-go...how about the Asus Prime X299- A II?

Motherboard
ASUS ROG Z690 Extreme
CPU
Intel i9-12900k
Graphics
Radeon Pro W5500
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
What is the consensus about the Gigabyte X299X Aorus Master? I'm really needing a mobo with 3 m.2 slots ideally, but I'm not clear if there is a BIOS issue or not (or if it's been addressed by O.C.)?

Any advice is much appreciated.

If the Gigabyte is a no-go...how about the Asus Prime X299- A II?

I don't recall if anyone here has the refresh of the Aorus Master but there is a Gigabyte x299 thread in the Catalina section I believe. Most users here in this thread tend to use the Asus boards with the Sage boards (Sage, Sage/10G, Sage II) being the most stable.

I believe there are at least a couple users here who have the X299 A II. Most of the Asus boards have pretty much the same EFI setup

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Prime X299- A II
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
  2. Power Mac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
there is a Gigabyte x299 thread in the Catalina section I believe.

Funny, I keep getting bounced around. The users in that thread suggested that I ask the question here, and now users in this thread are suggesting that I ask in the other thread -- fun!

My main concern is regarding the newer X299-X boards which apparently have some issues with booting when USB devices are connected, as well as other issues concerning overclocking.

It's a sad state of affairs when it comes to Motherboards currently, there seems to be a shortage of just about most models except the more expensive ones.

Anyway -- if anyone is running a Skylake-X on any of the Gigabyte boards with a good degree of success, I'd love to know!

Motherboard
N/A
CPU
N/A
Graphics
N/A
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Funny, I keep getting bounced around. The users in that thread suggested that I ask the question here, and now users in this thread are suggesting that I ask in the other thread -- fun!

My main concern is regarding the newer X299-X boards which apparently have some issues with booting when USB devices are connected, as well as other issues concerning overclocking.

It's a sad state of affairs when it comes to Motherboards currently, there seems to be a shortage of just about most models except the more expensive ones.

Anyway -- if anyone is running a Skylake-X on any of the Gigabyte boards with a good degree of success, I'd love to know!

I wouldn't recommend experimenting with newer X299-X board.

Not worth it. X299 is a dead platform in general.

Your best bet is to get a "approved" board if you haven't gotten one yet.