Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, that wasn't very clear. Is anyone using Open Core and Big sure with the asrock Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9 motherboard, or similar ? I will give it a try in the next day or so

Shouldn't be a problem using any X299 board except NVRAM.

It's best to get the pre-approved boards though if you are just getting into it.

I personally have been through 4 different X299 boards.

What is the consensus about the Gigabyte X299X Aorus Master? I'm really needing a mobo with 3 m.2 slots ideally, but I'm not clear if there is a BIOS issue or not (or if it's been addressed by O.C.)?

Any advice is much appreciated.

If the Gigabyte is a no-go...how about the Asus Prime X299- A II?

What is the consensus about the Gigabyte X299X Aorus Master? I'm really needing a mobo with 3 m.2 slots ideally, but I'm not clear if there is a BIOS issue or not (or if it's been addressed by O.C.)?

Any advice is much appreciated.

If the Gigabyte is a no-go...how about the Asus Prime X299- A II?

I don't recall if anyone here has the refresh of the Aorus Master but there is a Gigabyte x299 thread in the Catalina section I believe. Most users here in this thread tend to use the Asus boards with the Sage boards (Sage, Sage/10G, Sage II) being the most stable.

I believe there are at least a couple users here who have the X299 A II. Most of the Asus boards have pretty much the same EFI setup

Last edited:
there is a Gigabyte x299 thread in the Catalina section I believe.

Funny, I keep getting bounced around. The users in that thread suggested that I ask the question here, and now users in this thread are suggesting that I ask in the other thread -- fun!

My main concern is regarding the newer X299-X boards which apparently have some issues with booting when USB devices are connected, as well as other issues concerning overclocking.

It's a sad state of affairs when it comes to Motherboards currently, there seems to be a shortage of just about most models except the more expensive ones.

Anyway -- if anyone is running a Skylake-X on any of the Gigabyte boards with a good degree of success, I'd love to know!

Funny, I keep getting bounced around. The users in that thread suggested that I ask the question here, and now users in this thread are suggesting that I ask in the other thread -- fun!

My main concern is regarding the newer X299-X boards which apparently have some issues with booting when USB devices are connected, as well as other issues concerning overclocking.

It's a sad state of affairs when it comes to Motherboards currently, there seems to be a shortage of just about most models except the more expensive ones.

Anyway -- if anyone is running a Skylake-X on any of the Gigabyte boards with a good degree of success, I'd love to know!

I wouldn't recommend experimenting with newer X299-X board.

Not worth it. X299 is a dead platform in general.

Your best bet is to get a "approved" board if you haven't gotten one yet.

Your best bet is to get a "approved" board if you haven't gotten one yet.

What do you mean by "approved"? Is there an official list somewhere for approved x299 boards?

Also, I understand that X299 is old in the tooth, but what are the other options exactly for someone needing more performance than a Z470 can offer? Building a Ryzentosh seems ill advised in comparison, and waiting for Intel to get their 10nm tech together is also a waste of time. It's a frustrating time at the moment to be looking at an OS X high performance machine, and Apple certainly doesn't seem to be in a hurry to offer M1x or M2 high performance options.

What do you mean by "approved"? Is there an official list somewhere for approved x299 boards?

Also, I understand that X299 is old in the tooth, but what are the other options exactly for someone needing more performance than a Z470 can offer? Building a Ryzentosh seems ill advised in comparison, and waiting for Intel to get their 10nm tech together is also a waste of time. It's a frustrating time at the moment to be looking at an OS X high performance machine, and Apple certainly doesn't seem to be in a hurry to offer M1x or M2 high performance options.

Approved as in people who use it here.

Well, Z490/Z470 and 10900K/9900K would give you basically the same responsiveness in general usage, X299 was worth if you needed for heavy multi threaded workloads. Ryzen tosh seem to have issues with adobe software and some other hiccups here and there but it's doable, no one uses ryzen in this thread anyway. X299 is dead, and for that matter, intel is dead overall in MacOS world, putting you in a dead spot. I think building an hack now, specially an expensive one (and X299 boards and cpus are still expensive), is pointless. I would just wait for M1X, if you really need a heavy multithreaded machine and you need it now, then just buy an Asus board, Prime X299-A (II) and WS Sage (standard, 10G, II) are totally ok to my knowledge. Also keep in mind that you need at least a 14 cores part to see some gains to the consumer platform, 10940X 10960X and 10980XE are floating at the same prices at the moment, so just buy the cheapest you can find. You'll also need a GPU, and boy they are overpriced now.

I would buy an M1 mac mini and sell / swap it for M1X as soon as they release, you'll loose much less money this way and M1 performances are on par with 10 core Mac Pro and 10900X / 10920X ( at much much much less power usage)

Well, Z490/Z470 and 10900K/9900K would give you basically the same responsiveness in general usage, X299 was worth if you needed for heavy multi threaded workloads. Ryzen tosh seem to have issues with adobe software and some other hiccups here and there but it's doable, no one uses ryzen in this thread anyway. X299 is dead, and for that matter, intel is dead overall in MacOS world, putting you in a dead spot. I think building an hack now, specially an expensive one (and X299 boards and cpus are still expensive), is pointless. I would just wait for M1X, if you really need a heavy multithreaded machine and you need it now, then just buy an Asus board, Prime X299-A (II) and WS Sage (standard, 10G, II) are totally ok to my knowledge. Also keep in mind that you need at least a 14 cores part to see some gains to the consumer platform, 10940X 10960X and 10980XE are floating at the same prices at the moment, so just buy the cheapest you can find. You'll also need a GPU, and boy they are overpriced now.

I would buy an M1 mac mini and sell / swap it for M1X as soon as they release, you'll loose much less money this way and M1 performances are on par with 10 core Mac Pro and 10900X / 10920X ( at much much much less power usage)

Agreed with this.

Better off building a 10850K or whatever cpu they have and overclocking all cores than X299.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back